• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Trophy Rovers v Harrogate Town (Pizza Cup)

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As BBTC says disappointing but not a shock as the visitors played a strong side, possibly because their Boxing Day game has been postponed whereas Micky made numerous changes. Sounds like they deserved it after their second half performance albeit Nevitt missed a late chance when clear on goal but poor control let him down

A missed opportunity perhaps with Carlisle at home for the victors but I’m not too concerned. A win v Barrow then all will be good.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Disappointing but not surprising. Clearly, Harrogate management gave the cup more priority than us. Micky rightly gave his squad players a run-out and tried a new formation. Maynard's goal will give him heart. I am sure Micky will see positives on the night.
Their boxing day game is off so they could afford put put stronger side

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought it was a decent performance considering the team we put out. In the first half we were by far the better side and had numerous chances to score the second goal to kill the game, which unfortunately we did not take. There was always going to be a reaction from Harrogate in the second half, and they switched to 442 with Muldoon and Armstrong up front. However, it was an uncharacteristic individual error from the otherwise excellent Davies which led to their winner. Over the ninety minutes, I did not think we deserved to lose.

Individually, I thought Feeney and Duffy had decent games and Maguire did ok as a makeshift centre half. Hayde really struggled defensively against Diamond, as you would expect, but was very good on the ball and produced a great delivery for the first goal. Maynard scored again to emphasise he still has something to offer. Watson disappointed, not for the first time. Merrie was just ok, and does not look better to me than the midfielders who are ahead of him in the pecking order.

I think it is actually a blessing to be out of the competition. The prize money is not that significant, and the cup games distracted us in the second half of last season, and contributed to our end of season slide.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Didn’t see any of the action
Duffy failing to track back should take some of the blame for their equaliser some suggest, fair comment? As Sparky mentions Nevitt fluffed a late chance to get us level. Wouldn’t have minded Walker coming on when we were chasing the game.

Winning becomes a habit and that rather more than any financial implications is the main reason I’m sorry we lost tonight. Had we progressed am not convinced Micky would have made the same selection errors as Hill.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Given that MM clearly didn't rate continuation in this competition particularly highly, I thought risking Clarke upfront for the final 10 minutes was the wrong decision as any injury to him could have had extremely serious consequences for the rmainder of our league campaign. I hope this defeat, albeit suffered by our "reserve" team, doesnt advesely impact on the winning mentality which has inspired our corrent winning run in the League.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
I thought it was a good save by the keeper in the final minute, rather than a poor effort by Nevitt. We missed several other chances in the first half, so it is harsh to single out Elliott for criticism.

I don't think Peter Clarke playing ten minutes of the game will have any significant consequences, save for Peter picking up another well earned appearance bonus.

Player
Manager
John King
Winning becomes a habit and that rather more than any financial implications is the main reason I’m sorry we lost tonight. Had we progressed am not convinced Micky would have made the same selection errors as Hill.
It will be a very different team on Boxing Day, so it is debatable whether there will be any impact on confidence. I think Hill generally used the fringe players last season, with the exception of the final itself, but that still placed a strain on the squad physically and mentally in the final weeks of the season.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Difficult to tell from the extended highlights but looked like a decent performance in patches though a horror show of an error for their second by Davies.
Hayde's long throw is potentially an important addition to our armoury if he can step up into contention. He looked very solid with a lovely set up for the goal. Given the reports from Marine were alll very positive and as Jolley and Nevitt are starting regularly now he should at least be in contention for a bench spot although for sure Cogley is going to stay first pick.
Maynard again doing the business - yes Jolley has come back and done well but Maynard's goals are effortless - he finds space whilst looking like not doing much. I assume MM thinks he isn't hard working enough to start but I do think if he can be fitted into the team he will score more than either of Jolley and Nevitt.
Re Nevitt it was indeed a decent save from their Keeper at the end but clear from the the replay that Nevitt delayed - should probably have hit it first time but as others have said we had enough chances in the first half so unfair to single him out for criticism.
Only other thing was from the hightlights was McManaman looked good - was he decent for the 90 minutes do people who watched it think?

Player
Manager
John King
I thought MacManaman had an up and down game. He was sharp in the first half and had a couple of chances, but then faded.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Mcmanaman has been fairly disappointing since signing I thought he would be a very good player at thus level but that's not been the case

Player
aldo
a wast of a place just not good enough just have to be thankful he is only with us till the end of season

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree about mcmanaman. He’s been a disappointment and if mcpake comes in then he and hawkes will be first choice wide men. That would leave Feeney and mcmanaman as winger back up.
Agree with ADD about Maynard who may ask to leave in January for game time. It is still a big ask for Jolley and Nevitt to fire us to promotion as well as they have done recently.
we still need more goals to put less pressure on keeping clean sheets every week

Player
Manager
John King
I agree that Maynard is the striker most likely to score goals regularly, although Glatzel was gaining consistency prior to his injury.

As has been commented, I think with the way we set up tactically at the moment Mellon wants both forwards to chase and harry when out of possession, and he does not believe he will get that from Maynard. The opposition often outnumber us three to two in midfield, and can dominate possession if we don't work hard without the ball.

drwhoman

I agree that Maynard is the striker most likely to score goals regularly, although Glatzel was gaining consistency prior to his injury.

As has been commented, I think with the way we set up tactically at the moment Mellon wants both forwards to chase and harry when out of possession, and he does not believe he will get that from Maynard. The opposition often outnumber us three to two in midfield, and can dominate possession if we don't work hard without the ball.
Any idea when Glatzel will be back RLC?

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Unless we make a significant signing in the window I think it is important that we try and retail all 4 (Nevitt, Jolley, Glatzel and Maynard). The difficulty may be in persuading Maynard to stay. I think all will be necessary in the second half of the season if we are to have a realistic chance of going up.

Without further information, I would assume McPake would be a replacement for Hawkes which changes little in terms of McManaman and Feeneys' roles in the squad.

Player
Manager
John King
Can’t decide who is the least impressive of Feeney or Macmanaman. Liam is steadier, more consistent, but Calum in occasional flashes shows what he once was capable of delivering regularly.
I agree with this. However, at least Feeney and MacManaman have the excuse that age is against them.

By contrast, Ryan Watson is in his prime and was one of our most high profile signings, but has been seriously underwhelming.