• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

EFL Trophy Rovers v Harrogate Town (Pizza Cup)

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I am surprised no-one else has started this thread. Maybe we are too busy with last minute shopping or perhaps we are all thinking about the league.

Either way, we have a match tomorrow against one of our promotion rivals who have caused us problems in the past. Will Micky play a strong side and go all out for Wembley or will he rest players for the holiday fixtures? Personally, I expect we will see all the fit squad members plus others like Jolley, who are fresh and will benefit from playing more games.

I have now realised why i am first to post. What is there to say? We can’t predict our team (or their team), so can’t predict the result. ;)

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Suspect there will be a few changes perhaps but nothing too significant. Now it’s knock out and with a winnable game if we win this (Carlisle at home for the victors), suspect Micky will take it seriously. With our next game on Sunday it gives an extra days rest instead of the usual Tuesday/Saturday pattern but I wouldn’t be surprised if the likes of merrie, Watson and Maynard got a start
As ever with Pizza games I’m undecided whether to go. As BBTC says the visitors are no push overs and in Armstrong and diamond have two dangerous players

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think there will actually be significant changes, and the side will be similar to the teams that played in the earlier rounds. However, I would not be surprised if one of Jolley or Nevitt plays, as I can't see Mellon going with a front two of Maynard and Mani. I expect Maguire, Merrie, Watson and co. will get a run out.

This competition is very much an afterthought, but the prize money is useful now that we are out of the FA Cup and, as Sparky says, we have a very winnable tie in the next round if we do go through. I would be surprised if Harrogate start Armstrong, Diamond and Muldoon, but we will see.

We have been fortunate to be relatively unaffected by Covid to date, so let us hope that luck continues and the next couple of games go ahead. A number of the Boxing Day League Two matches have been postponed already.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’d imagine Harrogate will put out a fairly strong side as they’ll also want to progress in the competition and didn’t play at the weekend.

Agree that this will be a much changed side. While Micky has plenty of options in midfield and up front we’re more limited defensively and may improvise with O’Connor/Maguire in central defence.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I think MM will make some changes but don't see us being massively weakened. There are a number of players that are close in standard to those who are in the current starting XI and this is a trait of MM's squad building. It is not as extreme this season as it was the season before last when at times it felt like we could perm any 11 from 23 but we can still bring in Watson, Feeney, Maynard, Merrie etc and stay strong. I won't be travelling down for this one but hoping we get through - apart from anything else the cash from this competition is generous. I would happily have swapped this tie for the one the current holders have tonight!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Decent side on paper with plenty of experience. Defence could be tested with Maguire and Hayde starting

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
B5AD098F-E5B6-4186-88CE-A1FA768AF875.png

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Bit of a mish-mash of a line-up. Think only Macdonald and Davies remain from the weekend? Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This is a tough ask for our second string against what looks like a full-strength Harrogate side. If we can win this, I'll be really impressed.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Jolley and Nevitt on to try and turn it around

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, been poor this half.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Not been watching tonight, but is O'Connor really the player you want to bring on when chasing the game?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Well that's the last chance of extra income gone which is a bit of a blow, all down to the league now.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Disappointing but not surprising. Clearly, Harrogate management gave the cup more priority than us. Micky rightly gave his squad players a run-out and tried a new formation. Maynard's goal will give him heart. I am sure Micky will see positives on the night.

Reactions: Ian