• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Guiseley

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A good finish from Norwood, looked offside, but hard to judge. Think Connor Jennings had one wrongly ruled out?

If RLC's analysis re Brabin is correct, I doubt my nails will last the season.

drwhoman

A good tactical analysis RLC. Making us as small a target defensively with two good centre backs is working at present and reflects the excellent away record. It is even working at home although we did need a very late score against Eastleigh.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
An interesting analysis, RLC. But does that explain why we appear to be stronger and less fragile than last season with essentially the same defence and midfield? Has he changed his philosophy or are the team finally playing the way he wants?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We were strong defensively for the whole of the second half of last season after McNulty came in, so in that sense not much has changed. How many games did we actually lose after Christmas ? Cheltenham, Wrexham and Welling were the only defeats I think. However, we have now got greater quality up front so we are winning games we may have drawn or lost last year, particularly at home. Added to which, the players are more familiar with one another, so there is a greater understanding and confidence in the side. At least, that is my interpretation.

I don't think there has been any change in philosophy: Brabin is approaching games exactly the same way as he did last season.

drwhoman

Fair comment RLC. Gary is charged with getting us out the National League full stop. He is not going to play an expansive game if that is going to put his objective at risk. The more the competing teams use a more gung ho approach the more he is going to be pleased. Shut them down and nick one or two at the other end is fine as far as Gary is concerned. There will be no Manning. Dyson and Charlie Mac fireworks this season!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We were strong defensively for the whole of the second half of last season after McNulty came in, so in that sense not much has changed. How many games did we actually lose after Christmas ? Cheltenham, Wrexham and Welling were the only defeats I think. However, we have now got greater quality up front so we are winning games we may have drawn or lost last year, particularly at home. Added to which, the players are more familiar with one another, so there is a greater understanding and confidence in the side. At least, that is my interpretation.

I don't think there has been any change in philosophy: Brabin is approaching games exactly the same way as he did last season.
Fair comment, RLC. The home defeats to Wrexham and Welling and our eventual failure to make the playoffs took a lot of gloss off what was otherwise a great run. In 2016 we have looked a lot more stable than GB's first five months. And home form is much improved this term. Let's hope we can keep it up.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
There will be no Manning. Dyson and Charlie Mac fireworks this season!
You've got me drooling again, drw. 99 goals in a season, five players scoring double figures. But in the end, we didn't get promoted, so if Gary's tactics work, I'll forgive him. (Oops, I called him Gary! He must be growing on me.)

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
It may not be as pretty as we would like and James Brown may be a bit under used but ten one nil wins trumps nine ten nil wins and a draw!

drwhoman

Ha ha! Nice one BBTC. It was exciting though. How many will we score tonight sort of thing!? Goals at the other end were the problem. Saturday will be a test for the Gary approach. Aldershot have started ok.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good analysis of Brabin RLC. I guess what annoyed me was the unwillingness to pass and move and instead opt for aimless punts up field but like you say tired legs will have played a part here. Not going to dwell on it as we are stop of the league so onward and upwards.