• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Grimsby

Rovers v Grimsby
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, March 12, 2019 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
aldo
we owe this lot one for the beating we had at there place . will nors ever score a rovers treble . think we will get this one 3-1 with a nors 3 some . . we realy need others to start chipping in with a few now . hoping for 6k plus again ita a great time to be a rover . lets keep moving up the table . positive positive positive

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Here we go again with another home match against a mid-table side with little to play for and who have lost their last two matches. The smart money must be on Rovers and we must surely be favourites. I hope it is more comfortable than 1-0 but frankly any win will do. Any setback on Tuesday would make the coming fixtures more difficult.

Player
aldo
we need some come back for the game at there place . we where poor that night . but things have have changed . would love it if pringle had a good game against his former club . we need connor to start banging them in . need the midfield to get some as well .

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Really need to win this not only because we are the home team and we want to keep the momentum going, but also because of the thrashing we got a few months back. I don't think it'll be a goal fest as AM hopes above as we tend to keep things tight and grind out the wins.

Grimsby's from has been a bit hit and miss this season and have struggled to find some consistency. They come into this game with their last win recorded against Cheltenham on the 16th Feb. Since then they've picked up one point out of a possible nine with their last game a 2-1 defeat against Crawley Town.

Player
ian goodison
no such thing as an easy game in this league and of course being rovers apart from macc 3 up at h/t will have us on the edge of our seats, just hope we keep up the momentum, as others have said need others to help with the goals.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The Mariners are a fairly unpredictable side, but on their day can turn over anyone, as we saw to our cost in the visit to the east coast earlier in the season. Wes Thomas the main danger-main, though hopefully the referee will be more alert to handball this time around. Ex Rover John Welsh only made a cameo appearance in the home game and has been out injured recently.

Unclear if Zoum will be fit for this one. Ridehalgh not mentioned recently, is he still injured? Otherwise unchanged side, though I would like to see Mullin and Dagnall getting some match time. If, heaven forbid, something did keep Norwood out, then that pair are very rusty.

Crowd will be back to somewhere in the mid 5k, it's a fair way for the visitors to travel for a midweek game. Hopefully seeing a Rovers win.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The 5-2 defeat at Blundell Park was a real low point in the season, not because we were terrible - some of our football was very good - but because awful defending cost us any chance of victory. An injury to McNulty at half time proved fatal, with Manny and Ellis failing to form any kind of partnership in a second half where we collapsed at the back: how times change. Grimsby are a decent footballing side, similar to Crewe in many ways, and I expect a similar game to last Friday. Elliot Embleton in midfield is their standout player.

As for Rovers, if Zoum is unfit I would expect Buxton to continue at left back after a decent performance last week. Elsewhere, we will be unchanged. This match and Saturday's game are theoretically our two 'easier' fixtures before a very tough run of matches, although in reality I think the match will be as tight as all the others in recent weeks. Aside from Colchester and FGR, who play each other, most of our rivals face struggling teams tomorrow so we certainly need the victory.

Prediction: narrow Rovers win watched by 5,500, with 150-200 Mariners.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I've just checked and found that out of our 16 league wins, 8 have been by 1-0. It takes real patience and determination to grind out that sort of result, qualities I've never seen before so consistently in any other Rovers side. Another stat is that 27 out of our 36 league games have been draws or decided by the odd goal, reminding us how so much in football can hinge on a slice of luck, a poor refereeing decision or a moment of brilliance. We've had a few of all three this season - both for and against us.

Player
aldo
as im sure you can guess im not on the wirral this week as working the cheltenham races . sorry boys money talks . lets hope its more than just one goal . as we need to make the goal difference better . i have got tickets for tonight my wife and sis are taking my place . with an army of little girles . hpe you all have a good day . i wont ive only got 2000 to feed and thats in one tent lol roll on next monday

Player
ian goodison
an ideal night would be 3-0 up with 2mins to go (WISHFUL THINKING) but will settle for another nail-biting 1-0 to keep up the recent good run

Player
Manager
John King
Maybe once or twice before the end of the season we'll win a game by more than one goal. Maybe tonight, who knows?
Does not really matter though does it ? You still only earn three points and the majority of matches at this level are settled by the odd goal.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Does not really matter though does it ? You still only earn three points and the majority of matches at this level are settled by the odd goal.
All helps goal difference though like when you are leading 4-1 at half time! More of the same please Rovers!

Player
Manager
John King
Another good performance and a deserved victory for Rovers. In difficult conditions, I thought it was a really entertaining game, very open, with Grimsby willing to commit men forward and attack. However, there is no doubt we had the extra level of class in the creative areas and deserved to win.

I thought Ollie Banks was the difference tonight. While the midfield has been excellent in his absence, he gives us that extra vision and creativity, in addition to great quality from set plays. He effectively had two assists tonight, with quick thinking from a free kick leading to the first goal, and a superb. slightly wind-assisted cross for the second. I thought he was the best player on the pitch.

Elsewhere, I could understand the sponsor's choice of Davies as man of the match, as bizarre as that seems in a game we won 4-1. He is on top form at the moment and made four or five excellent saves, a number of them at key moments in the game. He was also very unlucky with the penalty, a brilliant one-handed save which should have been followed up and cleared by the Rovers defence. Pringle had a really effective game, not doing anything spectacular but always making himself available for the ball and rarely giving it away. Jennings was excellent aside from the goals, and Jake Caprice continues to bomb forward and cause havoc down the right hand side.

With other results largely going our way, we now have a five point gap to eighth place, and a four point cushion to fifth. We are only four points behind MK Dons in third, who we are still to play at home, and if this form continues for a couple more games, automatic promotion becomes a real possibility.

What a season we are having.

Last edited:
Player
aldo
wow i need to stay away more often . as they always win big when i do lol . what a run we are on and again the other scores go are way . can see it being a sell out on saturday . its amazing what a turn around . and at last nors gets out scored . and mammy finally gets one