• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Grecians

What will the result be ?

• Tranmere victory

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Exeter victory

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Rovers v Grecians
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, March 20, 2021 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 20, 2021 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
In relation to Vaughan, it is interesting that Cheltenham's top scorer only has eleven goals, and their second top scorer only eight. None of the Newport squad have got into double figures this season.

It is possible to win games without a prolific striker.
It is but the problem on Tuesday night was that we created very little from open play.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It says fans shouldn't get too emotional yet is doing that himself. I don't think he's doing himself any favours and not helping to win fans over
It is strange for such an experienced manager. You would think he would have learned just to push all of that stuff to one side.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't think any manager should say they're 100% satisfied with a point at Grimsby. It wasn't a bad point and on the second half showing probably a point gained. It was a strange interview from Keith, football is a results business and if we get a dozen stuffy wins, Rovers will definitely go up.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
It may be that KH is still conscious of the mixed reception he got when appointed and some of the early setbacks. He should just move on. I know it smacks a bit of desperation but is there any point in giving Jolley or Burton a run for an hour? We need someone who can stick the ball in the net whatever else they contribute!
Might be worth a shot. Equally Nugent is a decent scorer, but whoever plays there it is essential, as stated previously, we create the chances. I think Vaughan s energy and nouse facilitated creative players making chances...rather than do it himself. So if we go with the lads mentioned we may need to do it different. Get Manny up front to take weight off those around him - for instance.

Player
aldo
if anyone is putting pressure on it will be Palios he has already said he wants the promotion and has paid for it in some ways I like what KH has done so far but like what a few others have said he needs to step back and relax a little and ya wait till the fans get in singing his name if that does not get him with the fans nothin will

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m not sure Keith thinks Jolley is ready. He suggested that in a previous interview. Burton has rarely featured and bringing him on at Wembley was a token gesture. He mentioned how Woolery had never played 10 games before up until recently so all the most reason to have adequate back up in goal scoring areas which we don’t have. Ultimately if we don’t go up this season one main reason could be the poor recruitment in January. Not having sufficient cover for Vaughan and wasting money on the likes of Crawford and Kirby who clearly aren’t good enough to start in the league

Player
Manager
John King
I’m not sure Keith thinks Jolley is ready. He suggested that in a previous interview. Burton has rarely featured and bringing him on at Wembley was a token gesture. He mentioned how Woolery had never played 10 games before up until recently so all the most reason to have adequate back up in goal scoring areas which we don’t have. Ultimately if we don’t go up this season one main reason could be the poor recruitment in January. Not having sufficient cover for Vaughan and wasting money on the likes of Crawford and Kirby who clearly aren’t good enough to start in the league
Yes, I broadly agree. We are not simply missing Vaughan, we are missing a natural centre forward who is at least capable of doing a job and maintaining a presence in the eighteen yard box. Even a journeyman lower league striker would have been able to do that for us, whereas Nugent can't, at least for the time being.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Nugent spent a lot of time on Wednesday running around outside the box and out wide. He needs to stay in and around the 6 yard box as he is surely capable of putting chances away if they come

Player
Manager
John King
Nugent spent a lot of time on Wednesday running around outside the box and out wide. He needs to stay in and around the 6 yard box as he is surely capable of putting chances away if they come
Yes, I don't know if it is lack of fitness that is preventing him from getting into the box, but we have put a lot of good deliveries into the eighteen yard box in recent games (not on Wednesday admittedly) and Nugent has not been anywhere near them.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Yes, I don't know if it is lack of fitness that is preventing him from getting into the box, but we have put a lot of good deliveries into the eighteen yard box in recent games (certainly at Wembley) and Nugent has not been anywhere near them.
Agreed, there were a few decent balls into the box at Grimsby too. Even when he does make contact, hasn't done much to threaten a goal, one effort v Newport aside.

Player
Manager
John King
It makes you wonder whether when Nugent does play we would be better off using him in a front two with Woolery, rather than as a lone striker where he has to do a lot of the donkey work.

Player
aldo
it would make sense to do that or just keep him around the box, either way, he has to start contributing with goals and more assists, or what's the point of him playing

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
I think patience is needed. Vaughan wasn't as prolific under Jackson, probably because of the way the team was set up. Games are coming thick and fast so it is almost as if the training/learning to adapt has to come from live games and reviewing lessons afterwards. It will be interesting to see if, for example, Nugent plays less out on the wing in the Exeter game and more as a centre forward to react to crosses.Just my opinion as I am sure he spent a lot of time 'in the wrong place' as far as scoring opportunities were concerned. Maybe I lost concentration due to the crass commentary!!! Anyway, regardless of the negativity of a large number of supporters on other sites, I am going for a 1-0 Tranmere win. Mind you, I thought Southend game was going to end 0-0 so what do I know! I have the half dozen eggs ready.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It makes you wonder whether when Nugent does play we would be better off using him in a front two with Woolery, rather than as a lone striker where he has to do a lot of the donkey work.

A bit like Ronnie I’ve always been a fan of the old 4-4-2 with wingers eg Aldo and Malkin with Mogsy and Nevin. You do wonder if Nugent would be better feeding off a target man (which we don’t have), or at least another central striker. We have decent wingers like Feeney, CBT and Woolery and could play Lewis alongside Nugent.
Im sure Keith is pondering these things but understandably keeping 4-3-3 makes sense as it’s worked overall since he came in. However if we have another couple of games without scoring then if we are to stay in the mix something will need to change.
Nugent is 36 not 26 so by the time he’s ran around outside the box he’s probably exhausted by the time any crosses come in!

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think 442 actually suits this squad. Our strength is the number of technical players we have in midfield and our passing, movement and rotation off the ball, and 442 is too rigid for that style of play. Plus, Spearing sometimes gets exposed and overworked in a two man midfield. We are not a meat and potatoes team like Ronnie's sides.

However, there are still the options of 532, 4132 etc.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I don't think 442 actually suits this squad. Our strength is the number of technical players we have in midfield and our passing, movement and rotation off the ball, and 442 is too rigid for that style of play. Plus, Spearing sometimes gets exposed and overworked in a two man midfield. We are not a meat and potatoes team like Ronnie's sides.

However, there are still the options of 532, 4132 etc.
Agree with this, there are plenty of options to use.