• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Grecians

What will the result be ?

• Tranmere victory

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Exeter victory

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Rovers v Grecians
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, March 20, 2021 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 20, 2021 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I have just watched the pre-match interview with Keith Hill. I agree with most of what he said with regard to Rovers earning a 'good point' at Grimsby in the circumstances, and the tremendous emotional and physical load on the players. However, he did get tetchy towards the end and actually said 'if the supporters don't want me, I can go' at one point.

Interesting that he mentioned Clarke, Spearing and Woolery as players who have been suffering a bit with the amount of games played this season, with Clarke in particular singled out for praise, perhaps because he will have to play through the pain barrier tomorrow. I would not be surprised to see that trio rested in the next couple of weeks.

I particularly liked his bullishness in relation to the Vaughan injury, and his determination that we will find a different way to score goals, rather than simply bemoaning our bad luck.

He said Vaughan is out for four to six week weeks, but both O'Connor and Kahn could be available for the weekend, but more likely next Tuesday.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Keith has definitely been scouring social media after the Grimsby result!! He almost appears very sensitive again to criticism about that result and the number of fans (like me), who pondered whether we would have won at wembley with Vaughan. That’s the first interview I’ve watched where I’ve got a bit fed up with watching him

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
In relation to Vaughan, it is interesting that Cheltenham's top scorer only has eleven goals, and their second top scorer only eight. None of the Newport squad have got into double figures this season.

It is possible to win games without a prolific striker.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I have just watched the pre-match interview with Keith Hill. I agree with most of what he said with regard to Rovers earning a 'good point' at Grimsby in the circumstances, and the tremendous emotional and physical load on the players. However, he did get tetchy towards the end and actually said 'if the supporters don't want me, I can go' at one point.

Interesting that he singled out Clarke, Spearing and Woolery as players who have been suffering a bit with the amount of games played this season, with Clarke in particular singled out for praise, perhaps because he will have to play through the pain barrier tomorrow. I would not be surprised to see that trio rested in the next couple of weeks.

I particularly liked his bullishness in relation to the Vaughan injury, and his determination that we will find a different way to score goals, rather than simply bemoaning our bad luck.

He said Vaughan is out for four to six week weeks, but both O'Connor and Kahn could be available for the weekend, but more likely next Tuesday.

Yes it is good that he is positive that it won’t set us back but he does seem a bit prickly at times when ever anything is questioned

Player
Manager
John King
Yes it is good that he is positive that it won’t set us back but he does seem a bit prickly at times when ever anything is questioned
To say the least ! I don't know why he is so defensive.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yes but his mother probably doesn’t support Tranmere!

On a more serious note, I think part of the problem is that he has had no chance to bond with the fans due to COVID-19. We forget that he’s won more matches in 2021 than any other manager in the EFL. Once he’s heard the crowd singing “Keith Hill’s Super White Army” a few times (as they would have done in normal times) he might relax a bit.

Last edited:

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I'm fancying a win tomorrow - by the look of the poll the only one who has voted that way. I expect us to bounce back from Wednesday's disappointment in some style since that seems to have been a theme under KH's tenure. The short rest is a bit of a concern but I assume little/no/very light training will have been done in the interim. Unlike me to be bullish but a good 2-0 win after Wednesday would be Rovers all over! Or perhaps I'm just happy because it's Friday after a tough week and beer o'clock is in sight ...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
To say the least ! I don't know why he is so defensive.
It is getting a tad annoying. Whether he or anyone agrees with it or not, there will always be criticism if we don't win. Stop the preaching and soak it in. It's equally nice to soak it in when we win too! He's doing an excellent job, just relax a little.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It is getting a tad annoying. Whether he or anyone agrees with it or not, there will always be criticism if we don't win. Stop the preaching and soak it in. It's equally nice to soak it in when we win too! He's doing an excellent job, just relax a little.

Criticism goes with the job but he seems to want to bring it up after every game we don’t win. Every club has meltdowns and he should just ignore it. Tranmere fans are no difference from any other

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Absolutely. He seems to want to justify every point we don’t win! Most of us get it. You can’t win every game and you wont play well in every game. You wonder if there’s more pressure at Tranmere than he has experienced at his others jobs.

drwhoman

It may be that KH is still conscious of the mixed reception he got when appointed and some of the early setbacks. He should just move on. I know it smacks a bit of desperation but is there any point in giving Jolley or Burton a run for an hour? We need someone who can stick the ball in the net whatever else they contribute!

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
Just watched Keith's latest interview. For someone who professes to react unemotionally to results, he sure is emotional! After a rant about people saying 'if only Vaughan had been fit" and Keith believing "only Vaughan can tell us when he is fit" , he then suggested it could be 4 to 6 weeks before Vaughan is available for selection.

He indicated he wasn't feeling well so maybe the stress has got to him. what did I say about Mourinhoesque?

Also sounded like Khan and possibly Morris may not be full fit for Saturday but okay for Tuesday although he didn't mention specific names.

Player
aldo
got me saying how delighted getting a point, Tuesday yes they are fighting for their lives yes we were tired, we get all that but we should be winning those games, but as I have said a few times we win 1-0 tomorrow be positive and move on

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It says fans shouldn't get too emotional yet is doing that himself. I don't think he's doing himself any favours and not helping to win fans over