• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Glovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A difficult game, which will be made harder by the likely absence of OFW on international duty, alongside the start of a prolonged absence of JLAA. It doesn't look as though there will be any loan striker in for this game. Andy Robinson may be fit after his hamstring problems. The game also falls on my birthday, which in recent fixtures hasn't proved a happy combination.

Mooney is likely to get his first start for Rovers, a big keeper and perhaps a more able deputy than some in recent years. He didn't look that comfortable at set-pieces in the pre-season game at Marine. If Robbo is fit, he's likely to be recalled, most probably instead of Thompson. Otherwise, the outfield 10 that started the 2nd half at Meadow Lane likely to continue.

Our recent form against the cider-drinkers hasn't been that impressive, and they beat Colchester to end a losing streak, after starting the season well. Richard Hinds, ex-Rovers defender features for them and had managed to get his name on the scoresheet during their bright start.

Prediction: No rival attractions across the water, coupled with our decent form might swell the crowd a little. However the visitors won't bring more than a couple of hundred, so not expecting us to break the 6k barrier.
This will be a fairly tight game and goals may not come so easy for the Whites. It's a possibility that our unbeaten run will end, but I'm going for 1-1, with the goal from a midfielder.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Robbo & Fon will not play saturday but i still think we have enough to win 1 0

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
3-0 Rovers, a brace for McGurk!! and Jake gets the other...

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Despite the absentees, if we get anywhere near the performance at Notts County where we outplayed a much better side than Yeovil without Akpro and Robinson, we will win the game.

I am quite glad that Robbo is not going to be rushed back for this one, as we don't want to risk aggravating the injury and losing him for several weeks. Mooney is a bit of an unknown quantity: I have only seen him play in the pre-season game at Heswall where he literally did not have a save to make, and his only other first team experience in this country was several rungs below League Two with Oxford City. Hopefully he will be up to the challenge on Saturday.

We struggled against Yeovil in recent seasons when Terry Skiverton played five across the middle and snuffed out our attacking threat, so it will be interesting to see what tactics Gary Johnson adopts. I wouldn't be surprised if they take the same approach as Brentford a couple of weeks ago, in which case it will be important that we start the game brightly.

With the Championship sides not playing at the weekend, this game will apparently be the featured match on The Football League Show, so hopefully we will do ourselves justice in front of the cameras.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
mooney played all games pre season including the match against Everton where he saved a penalty..

Could Oust Fonners imo..?

DIW

Player
Goodison
With the Championship sides not playing at the weekend, this game will apparently be the featured match on The Football League Show, so hopefully we will do ourselves justice in front of the cameras.

That's probably the last thing we need.

mooney played all games pre season including the match against Everton where he saved a penalty..

Well I hope so because he will have to be fantastic to do that.

Bit of a slippery one this, mainly because we are expected to win.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Our recent form against the cider-drinkers hasn't been that impressive, and they beat Colchester to end a losing streak, after starting the season well. Richard Hinds, ex-Rovers defender features for them and had managed to get his name on the scoresheet during their bright start.

Prediction: No rival attractions across the water, coupled with our decent form might swell the crowd a little. However the visitors won't bring more than a couple of hundred, so not expecting us to break the 6k barrier.
This will be a fairly tight game and goals may not come so easy for the Whites. It's a possibility that our unbeaten run will end, but I'm going for 1-1, with the goal from a midfielder.

they are in the bottom half of the table, losing 6 of their last 7: 'bright start'

we are top of the league unbeaten in 12 games, winning 5 of our last 6: 'decent form'

i'm all for realism but sometimes you take it way too far. we should beat yeovil, that's all there is to it. i hope you enjoy your birthday!

Player
Nixon
In recent weeks Ive been so nervous before all our home games, but now Im far more chilled as we have nowt to prove.

We know we can play good football, we know we can defend well.

McGurk is in need of time on the pitch to prove himself, as he has been injured or on the sidelines too long.If he is to command a good wage from a small budget he must prove his worth.

I have a feeling Bell-Baggie will start on the right wing with Thompson given another shot upfront with Cass.

McGurk on the left wing,

centre mid and back row the same (plus Mooney)

2nd half if where up, I reckon McGurk will be pushed upfront,with Zoooooom pushed up and Black given a run out..

Goodison to get a run out if on the bench at 85 mins.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
they are in the bottom half of the table, losing 6 of their last 7: 'bright start'

we are top of the league unbeaten in 12 games, winning 5 of our last 6: 'decent form'

i'm all for realism but sometimes you take it way too far. we should beat yeovil, that's all there is to it. i hope you enjoy your birthday!

10 points out of 12 and a League Cup win constitutes a bright start imo, though I concede they've not been much good since.

There's a danger of going OTT in assessing how good Rovers are. I've indicated elsewhere my amazement and pleasure at just how well the season has begun for us. Others may chose to use superlatives to describe the start if they wish, just as I prefer not to.

Yes, we should beat the Glovers, but as the oft quoted saying goes; "it's a funny old game"

Thanks.

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
we,ve struggled in the last three home matches ..but i think we can win this 2-1

question is have we got any cutting edge left in the team

mcurk at home may struggle also

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Don't be silly.

It will certainly be interesting to see how we get on with three missing. Like RLC says, if we can put in a performance similar to County, we'll do fine. Can't see Mooney having much to do to be honest.

Win 2-0.

Status
Not open for further replies.