• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (3) v Gillingham (0)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Gillingham

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (3) v Gillingham (0)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, August 13, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 13, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
Well just home think i lost 3stone today not dropped below 41 in the kitchen all day at least the wedding went well and a darn good result also just in case a certain result has been missed we see Brentford have Battered man u 4-0 god i love Football

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
He was great today and to think some people didn't want to see him in a Tranmere shirt again after the 1st game. Jokers..
Made up for Jameson. Saw a couple of flashes in pre-season where he showed a real competitors instinct. Looks like hell battle. Onwards and upwards.

Reactions: Ian

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Does anybody know what the attendance was yesterday? I can't find it anywhere.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Just reflecting on yesterday's match, and I don't think we should underestimate the calming influence that Turnbull had on the rest of the defence.

I think on the evidence to date, he is better than Clarke. Less physical and heavy handed and more the kind of defender that snuffs out danger through his reading of the game and positioning. The way he dealt with Mandron when he was one v one with him on a couple of occasions was very impressive. He also seemed to settle the youngsters alongside him, particularly Jameson, whereas Clarke could be an intimidating presence at times.

Elsewhere on the pitch, I think we have some exciting young talent in this squad. I thought McAlear was exceptional yesterday, and gave a complete midfield performance, and as I have said previously the two wing backs could do for us this season what Wilson and Cadden did for FGR last year. There will be bumps in the road and setbacks with such a young group of players, but if the supporters show patience I think the future is bright.

As Nevitt returns to confidence, our striking options also suddenly look better. If Nevitt can weigh in with goals every four or five games, with Bongo a handful when he comes off the bench, and another loan striker still to arrive, we appear stronger in that area than we did a week ago.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Just reflecting on yesterday's match, and I don't think we should underestimate the calming influence that Turnbull had on the rest of the defence.

I think on the evidence to date, he is better than Clarke. Less physical and heavy handed and more the kind of defender that snuffs out danger through his reading of the game and positioning. The way he dealt with Mandron when he was one v one with him on a couple of occasions was very impressive. He also seemed to settle the youngsters alongside him, particularly Jameson, whereas Clarke could be an intimidating presence at times.

Elsewhere on the pitch, I think we have some exciting young talent in this squad. I thought McAlear was exceptional yesterday, and gave a complete midfield performance, and as I have said previously the two wing backs could do for us this season what Wilson and Cadden did for FGR last year. There will be bumps in the road and setbacks with such a young group of players, but if the supporters show patience I think the future is bright.

As Nevitt returns to confidence, our striking options also suddenly look better. If Nevitt can weigh in with goals every four or five games, with Bongo a handful when he comes off the bench, and another loan striker still to arrive, we appear stronger in that area than we did a week ago.
We could do with a couple more addions to the squad but with players hopefully returning soon we look to be in a better place

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre

I agree with a lot of this based on yesterday. I knew very little about turnbull and whilst I was a big fan of Clarke and wondered if it was a mistake letting him go, he did tend to get himself in trouble at times and I wondered if the likes of Doohan and cogley were pleased when he left to avoid the regular rollickings they received. At 27 turnbull should be reaching his peak and comes across well post match.

I think it is vital we keep cogley as he’s been excellent so far. Like RLC I thought mclear was excellent. I’d only seen him in pre season and he looked a bit raw but even yesterday he looked more comfortable with us and showed some tenancity at times as well as energy and he has an eye for goal. I liked at times yesterday we had the front two plus Lewis and mclear forward, as well as the wing backs.

The extra striker will be interesting. Glatzel still isn’t fit yet so can we afford to have both him and mumbongo not match fit? Need to be careful neither Hemmings or Nevitt get injured or burnt out with all the games we have coming up.

drwhoman

I thought that Turnbull’s interview after the game did suggest quite a calm individual. We might have struck lucky with McAlear. With relegation Norwich might have been too quick to release him. They had paid a fee to Motherwell to sign him And he is only 20.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We might have struck lucky with McAlear. With relegation Norwich might have been too quick to release him. They had paid a fee to Motherwell to sign him And he is only 20.
Yes, often relegated clubs have a “fire sale” to reduce costs. Any player who won’t get into their first team is likely to get released if their contract is up. We need to be on the ball to snap up the bargains

If out of every three youngsters, one becomes a regular, one develops quickly and is sold on for a fat fee and one is a dud, we will have a good team and be quids in.

Player
ian goodison
I agree with a lot of this based on yesterday. I knew very little about turnbull and whilst I was a big fan of Clarke and wondered if it was a mistake letting him go, he did tend to get himself in trouble at times and I wondered if the likes of Doohan and cogley were pleased when he left to avoid the regular rollickings they received. At 27 turnbull should be reaching his peak and comes across well post match.

I think it is vital we keep cogley as he’s been excellent so far. Like RLC I thought mclear was excellent. I’d only seen him in pre season and he looked a bit raw but even yesterday he looked more comfortable with us and showed some tenancity at times as well as energy and he has an eye for goal. I liked at times yesterday we had the front two plus Lewis and mclear forward, as well as the wing backs.

The extra striker will be interesting. Glatzel still isn’t fit yet so can we afford to have both him and mumbongo not match fit? Need to be careful neither Hemmings or Nevitt get injured or burnt out with all the games we have coming up.
I,ve said on here a couple of times sparky that doohan appeared intimidated by Clarke it must have been a culture shock coming from under 23 football to then have such an old head as Clarke ranting & raving in front of you

Although his confidence did seem to take a hit last season, that’s not unusual for a young player making his way. I’d argue that, if any pro finds playing with Clarke that intimidating, they won’t last long as a pro. 60,000 ranting and raving Glaswegians, however, might be a different matter! ;)

Last edited: