• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (3) v Gillingham (0)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Gillingham

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (3) v Gillingham (0)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, August 13, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 13, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Back to the league after the heroics of Tues night as Rovers play host to The Gills. Gillingham were relegated last season finishing fourth from bottom with a -34 goal difference. They will be wanting to bounce back quickly under manager Neil Harris who has rebuilt the squad over the summer. The side is almost unrecognisable from last season with at least 13 new faces coming through the door.

They started life in division two with a defeat against AFC Wimbledon but bounced back with a good 1-0 win at home to Rochdale. They then beat AFC Wimbledon 2-0 on Tues night with two very late goals from Mandron and Green to reach the second round of the EFL cup so their spirits will be high as they make the journey north. Neil Harris has already stated his focus is solely on the league so expect a tough afternoon on Saturday.

Rovers have a couple of injury concerns (slight knocks) after Tues nights game but Micky is hoping these will clear up before Saturday.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Not many recognisable names in the gills squad apart from ex Crewe frontman mandron who can score at this level. The visitors have sold approx 200 tickets so far.

Having given it some thought I think Micky will stick with his 5-3-2. Rightly or wrongly the recruitment was solely based on this and we played it all pre season. Plus without Morris playing 4-4-2 means someone out of position on the wing (with hawkes on the other side). Micky might go with the Christmas tree formation of 4-3-2-1 but whether mumbongo is fit to start remains to be seen. You could play that with say Hemmings up top with say Lewis and Hawkes behind but who knows. Much will depend on whether Nevitt is fit along with OConnor. Hopefully turnbull will start as he’ll only get match fit by playing games. I’m still not convinced by the defensive trio of Byrne, Jameson and Robinson and hope we can create more (still only 3 shots on target on Tuesday albeit the hosts only had 2).

Prediction: not expecting many goals and either side could nick it. It is vital we build on the positivity from Tuesday. Fall behind and play a first half like v Stevenage then the atmosphere could turn sour

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I will be glad to be back at the shrine on Saturday.

Neil Harris is a decent manager and it was quite a surprise when he took the Gillingham job. I don't know much about their squad, but Mikael Mandron and Scott Kashket will be a real handful, and they are one of the sides expected to challenge at the top of the table.

In terms of our own selection, I think we will revert to a back four but it is difficult to predict the line up due to numerous fitness doubts. I would guess Turnbull is not ready to play ninety minutes and Nevitt must be a doubt having missed Tuesday's game with a dead leg. Will Mumbongo start the game, and if so will he be part of a front two with Hemmings, or operate as more of a lone striker as on Tuesday night ? If Lee O'Connor does not make it, will Merrie be entrusted with the defensive midfield role ? I would guess McAlear will start the game after an impressive second half against Accrington.

I think the crowd will be in the region of 5,500 - 6,000 with 2-300 from Kent, and Rovers will earn their first three points of the season.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Any win will do regardless of the performance, doesn't look like any new signings arriving in time for the game and not sure how we will.line up due to injury concerns

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Might be 3-1 home win.
No idea on team or formation - so much injury dependant. Sparky's Christmas Tree formation looks appealing. Maybe Rhys Hughes could play in front of JDC on other flank from Hawkes?

ADD

Player
Norwood
Gillingham have apparently only sold 200 tickets with only 4,434 sold in total so far not altogether surprising perhaps with the weather as it is and school holidays.
Interested to see what team is put out - will Turnbull start given 90 minutes will likely be past him? Munbongo presumably is further behind so will be on the bench I assume. Maybe Hemmings up top alone if Nevitt isn't fit still. Will be interesting to see if the Academy Keeper also makes the bench tomorrow? In all seriousness would be good to see the youngsters like Taylor and Stratulis at least filling the bench.
Not sure there is much logic to my prediction but I am going for a 2-1 win with Hemmings and McAlear/ Hawkes to score.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It will be interesting to see how Rovers line up tomorrow. Nevitt's been in training after the dead leg and hopefully fit to return, as it's unlikely Mumbongo is ready for a full game, but potentially available for a cameo from the bench. If O'Connor is unfit, unsure we've got options in the defensive midfield role apart from Merrie. Don't expect Turnbull to start, as clearly not ready for a full game, but might be a handy bench option if we need someone to come on late and help see the game out. Fascinating to see if we start with 4 or 5 at the back.

The crowd will be disappointing, time of year, hot weather, rising cost of living and train strikes all factors depressing numbers. Gillingham one of the teams likely to be up near the top, though there has been a squad re-build and things may not gel straight away. It's a game where any result is realistic and although I'm hoping for a win and predicting the draw, it wouldn't be a total surprise if we lose again.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Going to be a pretty poor crowd today, looks like struggling to get 6k

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Need to get a few league wins under our belt i think.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
It will be interesting to see how Rovers line up tomorrow. Nevitt's been in training after the dead leg and hopefully fit to return, as it's unlikely Mumbongo is ready for a full game, but potentially available for a cameo from the bench. If O'Connor is unfit, unsure we've got options in the defensive midfield role apart from Merrie. Don't expect Turnbull to start, as clearly not ready for a full game, but might be a handy bench option if we need someone to come on late and help see the game out. Fascinating to see if we start with 4 or 5 at the back.

The crowd will be disappointing, time of year, hot weather, rising cost of living and train strikes all factors depressing numbers. Gillingham one of the teams likely to be up near the top, though there has been a squad re-build and things may not gel straight away. It's a game where any result is realistic and although I'm hoping for a win and predicting the draw, it wouldn't be a total surprise if we lose again.
Big guessing game this week Boz. Merrie the obvious choice to replace O'Connor. Unless Robinson has more strings to his bow and can be released from CB duties. Other than that I'm stumped.
Looking forward to the team announcement.

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Higgy, when he signed there was some suggestion McAlear had played in a defensive midfield role at one of his previous clubs, though given our attacking shortfalls, I’d rather keep him at that end of the park. Like you, watching with interest from afar how we line up this afternoon.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
No mumbongo and Hawkes only on the bench. Back to the five at the back

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
B1E8C7DD-7CA3-447B-9920-A70FB463E70A.png