• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Gillingham

Rovers v Gillingham
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, September 7, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 7, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
It is no good people keep saying Payne should win more headers but if he isn't as RLC says then play it to his feet - his control is good and he looks far more comfortable when he receives the ball that way.
While I agree with this we should bear in mind that the majority of balls to Payne's head were not deliberate passes, they were clearances made under pressure. You and RLC are right, though, that there was still far too much kicking from hand and also using Payne's head as the target from a throw in is an exercise in futility.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree but the guy can't even win a free header!

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I agree but the guy can't even win a free header!
You're right. The timing of his jumps gave him no chance of winning the ball and it felt like it was more by luck than design when it did hit his head. I'm not sure that I've ever seen such a lack of co-ordination before. I'm not saying he's a bad player but it's a really strange flaw for a player in his position and, to be honest, I found it rather unnerving.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Deserved sponsors' mom for Mullins who is one of our few players who looks really comfortable at this level. Perkins, Potter and Manny all played well and look at home in L1 generally. There are definitely a few still adjusting to the increased speed and reduced time and space to play.
I agree with your general sentiment here, but I would not put Mullin in the same bracket as the others just yet. He was excellent on Saturday, pumped up to prove the manager wrong, but in League Two he started about ten games but was fairly anonymous in most of them. The task for him is to perform like he did on Saturday every week, as Mark Ellis did last season, after initially being dropped and challenged to improve (Cook a couple of years ago as well). With Perkins and Potter you know what you are going to get every game.

I think Ferrier also looks comfortable at this level and Payne has the speed of thought around the box to cope in League One. Connor Jennings has been pretty inconsistent so far, but still has the knack of scoring vital goals and will surely continue to be a key player for us.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Connor is out of contract at the end of the season and whilst it’s early days in terms of contracts being offered, if he carries on scoring in league one he won’t be short of offers and will surely do a Nors

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I think Ferrier also looks comfortable at this level and Payne has the speed of thought around the box to cope in League One. Connor Jennings has been pretty inconsistent so far, but still has the knack of scoring vital goals and will surely continue to be a key player for us.
Yes, entirely agree about Ferrier and was only picking out the players who appeared on Saturday. Connor has been inconsistent, although his goals have been welcome, but I expect him to adjust to this level. He has spent a lot of time playing at a lower level but I think he has the character, and is young enough, to progress. Jury's still out for me on Payne!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think it's too early to assess how Mullin will do at this level, though a very encouraging performance in this game. I didn't think he played that badly, when given opportunities in the first half of last season, but then was given no match time for months, with the consequence that when he was needed in the Forest Green league game, he was too selfish in an attempt to make an impression. It would be interesting to know the manager's reasoning for not playing Mullin at all for a couple of months, as at face value it's not the best man management.

Payne's done better than I expected so far. Agreed, he's not a great header of the ball, but are any of our current forward options? Not seen enough of Ferrier or Ponticelli to assess. Another area where we miss Norwood, who converted a few headers despite not being the tallest.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I didn't think he played that badly, when given opportunities in the first half of last season, but then was given no match time for months
In fairness, that was partly down to the form of Norwood who was often happiest playing on his own. Norwood and Mullin never really hit it off as a partnership, for whatever reason.