• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Gillingham

Rovers v Gillingham
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, September 7, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, September 7, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Was Jennings playing up front?
No, in midfield. 4-4-2.
But then splitting hairs is your penchant, isn't it?
Less of the personal insults please chum. They belong on the Cowsheds.

A 4312 formation is fundamentally different to 442, so no, I am not splitting hairs. In a 442 Jennings would have been out of position on the left; in a 4312 he was in his best position behind the strikers.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Less of the personal insults please chum. They belong on the Cowsheds.

A 4312 formation is fundamentally different to 442, so no, I am not splitting hairs. In a 442 Jennings would have been out of position on the left; in a 4312 he was in his best position behind the strikers.

No personal insult intended. Just stating the obvious.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Those figures hardly suggest Mullin is 'head and shoulders' above his competitors.

No. What I wrote was:
"Honest, hard-working and skilful, he was, today, head and shoulders above most of his team-mates".
meaning, that he was our best player today - by a margin, NOT that he is our best striker.

Player
Manager
John King
No. What I wrote was:
"Honest, hard-working and skilful, he was, today, head and shoulders above most of his team-mates".
meaning, that he was our best player today - by a margin, NOT that he is our best striker.
In which case I wonder what you are arguing about..........

Player
Manager
John King
I respectfully suggest that we review this debate at the season-end on the basis of goals per game played...
I don't know which of our strikers will finish as top scorer. My point has always been that you have no basis for asserting that Mullin will necessarily score more than the others, or that Mellon is wrong to choose others ahead of him.

Player
aldo
wow if the players had a go like this in the first half them we would not have been 2 down . look at the end of the day you can tell mullin had a little dig in his interview the other day . but he needs to show it on the pitch more . if he can do it more then he will make a few people eat there words . but as has been said he needs to do it more and start scoring more .

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
First half, Rovers were very poor, though Mullin's early shot and turn from inside the box which hit the post might have changed things had it gone in. I'd exempt Mullin and Payne, who were feeding on scraps from any criticism for their opening half performance and maybe Perkins, but the rest were below par and Micky's positive post-match comments about our first half showing were at odds with what I was seeing. Davies certainly at fault for their second, though did rescue us from a suicidal back-pass from Morris. Nelson and Ray getting in each other's way and their uncertainty transmitted to the rest of the defence. Agree that Connor Jennings was below par, while there was little creativity coming from the midfield as a whole.

Switching to a back four and the introduction of Banks certainly improved things. It looked as though we were never going to score, when their keeper saved a decent penalty from Mullin(tbh thought the award was a bit generous) and the ball then came off the post, before another scramble and Connor hitting the back off the net. Credit to Payne for setting up Mullin for the leveller and a cool finish from Paul to level. We then had a few chances to win the game, while Manny Monthe dealt well with their tricky forwards who had their moments in a more subdued half from the Gills.

My first sighting of three players in a Rovers shirt. Woods did ok, got boxed in a bit, gave away one or two unnecessary corners and although he looked decent going forward seemed reluctant to do so. Potter didn't make much of an impression, given what I've heard of his ability to orchestrate the play. Nice cameo from Hepburn-Murphy,particularly liked the way he dropped back to help the defence and re-gained the ball.

I'd agree with Mullin as MoM, honourable mentions to Payne, Perkins and Monthe.

It will be interesting to see the side Micky puts out at Oxford. For me, that wouldn't be the one that started the second half here.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
So pleased Mulls got his goal after missing the penno. If he'd have fluffed that chance so soon after it could have seen him jumping off Woodside.
Awfully first half but great effort and tempo second.
Woods looked good but we really miss Caprice bombing down the right. Yeah, he makes defensive mistakes but he can recover with his agility.
Table doesn't look great but we've not been embarrassed by a team yet.

Player
ian goodison
lets not descend to the level of the paddock forum lads we all see things differently at times so now & then lets just agree to differ

Reactions: Ian
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I haven't seen the team this season so I can't make detailed comments, but it looks like we are still finding our feet in this new league, the team is still getting to know each other and Micky is still not sure about the best players and formations. However, we are getting there and from the last two matches it looks like the team spirit is still as strong as ever.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
One noticeable thing from yesterday was the support at the end of the game. We’ve not started the season too well but the cries of ‘one Micky mellon’ etc show the crowd appreciate the jobs he’s doing

Player
Manager
John King
One noticeable thing from yesterday was the support at the end of the game. We’ve not started the season too well but the cries of ‘one Micky mellon’ etc show the crowd appreciate the jobs he’s doing
Yes, I think that is because the team spirit is still so evident. I think it was also partly to do with Mellon's altercation with Steve Evans, provoked by Evans.

Player
ian goodison
evans assistant was trying to get anyone sent off yesterday but calmed down when jenno gave it him back

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The real positive is that we battered them second half which shows we do have quality in the team and really should have gone on to win. The first half shows just where we are in this league at the moment. Finding our feet, experimenting but you also get punished quickly.

We will improve as the season progresses. It was also decent quality to watch yesterday with plenty of highs and lows, goals, penalties. What more could you ask for?!

Player
Manager
John King
It was also decent quality to watch yesterday with plenty of highs and lows, goals, penalties. What more could you ask for?!
Yes, I agree. All of the games have been better quality than we have been used to in recent years, and while Gillingham are average at this level, they were not a bad side. Even when we were dominant in the second half, they still carried an attacking threat and we had to be alive and alert.

There is much more intensity to the games at this level.

Last edited:

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Well, it's definitely a better feeling to come from 2 down to grab a draw than to draw from being 2 up! Deserved sponsors' mom for Mullins who is one of our few players who looks really comfortable at this level. Perkins, Potter and Manny all played well and look at home in L1 generally. There are definitely a few still adjusting to the increased speed and reduced time and space to play. Despite the assist and a lot of hard work Payne is not really pleasing on the eye and lacks that bit of "magic". We are really struggling to retain possession from defensive clearances without a centre forward that can win the ball in the air. For his size, Payne should really be better in the air than he is. Our defensive positioning was pretty awful n the first half and both wing backs were regularly caught out of position. Consistently the wing back on the other side of the pitch from the ball pulled into the middle of the park, which is fair enough if you aware of what is going on around you. Rides, in particular, was caught out numerous times when the play was switched and left in no man's land. I thought Banks did very well when he came on; he looks a lot better when he cuts out some of the "fancy dan" stuff and uses his passing ability to play the sensible low risk pass. Uncharacteristic error from Scotty for their second but it's difficult to be too critical since he makes so few of them. MM must be left scratching his head at the minute regarding the best starting formation! I really thought that we were going to win it after the equaliser but the Gills did well to stem the tide. Like everybody else I was hoping for a win but for the second week in succession came away with a draw that felt like one!

Player
Manager
John King
We are really struggling to retain possession from defensive clearances without a centre forward that can win the ball in the air.
I thought the defence hit long balls far too often in the first half, even when they were not under any real pressure. I thought Scott also kicked from his hands too often.

If we don't have a striker who is good in the air, it makes no sense to go from back to front so quickly, particularly if we are by-passing three central midfielders in the process. Payne is decent with passes in to his feet, but we are hitting too many balls to him at neck height at the moment.

I think a major reason for our defensive struggles is that we are turning over possession in midfield far too quickly, which puts pressure on the defence. We need to retain possession for longer periods.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I thought the defence hit long balls far too often in the first half, even when they were not under any real pressure. I thought Scott also kicked from his hands too often.

If we don't have a striker who is good in the air, it makes no sense to go from back to front so quickly, particularly if we are by-passing three central midfielders in the process. Payne is decent with passes in to his feet, but we are hitting too many balls to him at neck height at the moment.

I think a major reason for our defensive struggles is that we are turning over possession in midfield far too quickly, which puts pressure on the defence. We need to retain possession for longer periods.
Spot on RLC - the long ball into the channel worked ok with Norwood but will not work with Payne and Mullin. Rides in particular kept on doing that which meant Gills were gifted possession.
It is no good people keep saying Payne should win more headers but if he isn't as RLC says then play it to his feet - his control is good and he looks far more comfortable when he receives the ball that way. And before people start getting at Payne again Mullin is no good in the air either so he needs the ball on the ground as well.... it's not rocket science!