• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Forest Green

Rovers v Forest Green
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Friday, April 19, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Friday, April 19, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think it is harsh to describe Mellon's decision to play Norwood as a 'cop out'. If anything, I would say it was completely the opposite as it was a gamble that could always backfire and result in the manager being criticised, as was ultimately the case. If Nors said he was happy to play, I would have played him. However, I agree that Mullin should start on Monday.

I had mixed feelings about Mullin's performance yesterday. I have always quite liked him, as he can strike a ball and has a goal in him. However, his decision making around the box let him down badly at times, with too many hopeful pot-shots when other players were better placed and we needed to make an extra pass. I appreciate this was partly because he was trying to make a positive impression from limited time on the pitch, but (to state the obvious) he does not have the all round game and appreciation of team mates of Norwood.
But wasn't Norwood short of that when he first started with us? He still has moments of greed, but gets forgiven, because of the shift he's put in, the understanding he's developed with Jennings and the fact he's become more clinical over time. While I don't think Mullin is likely to become as good as Nors, I feel the way he played in this game is linked to his limited playing time.

I interpreted Gray's comment about cop out as relating to the suggestion that Micky was leaving it to the player(Norwood) to decide, rather than making the decision for him. Nors like most players would do 90 minutes every week if they were able.

Going back to an earlier point,having seen the match highlights, Morris seems to go missing and doesn't track back in the build-up to the Forest Green goal.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
But wasn't Norwood short of that when he first started with us? He still has moments of greed, but gets forgiven, because of the shift he's put in, the understanding he's developed with Jennings and the fact he's become more clinical over time. While I don't think Mullin is likely to become as good as Nors, I feel the way he played in this game is linked to his limited playing time.

I interpreted Gray's comment about cop out as relating to the suggestion that Micky was leaving it to the player(Norwood) to decide, rather than making the decision for him. Nors like most players would do 90 minutes every week if they were able.

Going back to an earlier point,having seen the match highlights, Morris seems to go missing and doesn't track back in the build-up to the Forest Green goal.
Mullin does not have the all round game that Norwood had three years ago. They are very different players. I don't really understand your point about Mellon and Norwood. It is always the manager who decides the starting eleven is not it ? He knew from the physio reports Norwood was not fully fit and it was his decision to play him. I also think you are being harsh on Morris, who works harder defensively than Pringle or Smith.

Player
aldo
i just hope if we do meet the veggies we just do are selves justice . play the way we can and do them over . think the players will want to do one over the f%&ers horrible little club with small fan base when vince pisses off they will fall like a stone back to where they belong

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Mullin does not have the all round game that Norwood had three years ago. They are very different players. I don't really understand your point about Mellon and Norwood. It is always the manager who decides the starting eleven is not it ? He knew from the physio reports Norwood was not fully fit and it was his decision to play him. I also think you are being harsh on Morris, who works harder defensively than Pringle or Smith.
Norwood was a bit of a rough diamond when we got him and has improved considerably in his time at Rovers. Mullin isn’t Norwood, although there are some similarities in their style of play. I hope that given the opportunity, he’ll show similar improvement, given he is contracted for another year.

I can’t add any more as haven’t heard the remark Gray alludes to from MM.

Agree that Morris is the best defensively of our wide players. However in the build up to the goal, felt he could have tracked back to cut down the space on their left.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
I don't want to labour the point, but here's the quote via Matthew Jones.

Just didn't sit right with me, the manager should know the player well enough and be willing to make a tough call rather than leaving it to the player. On another day Nors bags a brace and we think Micky's a footballing genius.

I think the stress is getting to me.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The situation has changed over the last few days. The defeat to Forest Green now means we don't need to play Norwood now. Before the game we still had a chance of autos so MM would have wanted him to play and so would Norwood himself. Let's just give him a bit of a rest, I'm assuming that's the best thing for a tear and have him firing on all cylinders come the playoffs.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The situation has changed over the last few days. The defeat to Forest Green now means we don't need to play Norwood now. Before the game we still had a chance of autos so MM would have wanted him to play and so would Norwood himself. Let's just give him a bit of a rest, I'm assuming that's the best thing for a tear and have him firing on all cylinders come the playoffs.
Ian, even now, it's not that clearcut. Given their superior goal difference, Milton Keynes need another 5 points for automatics, optimistically assuming Rovers win our remaining 3 games. While home to Port Vale is unlikely to present any problem, a trip to Colchester and a final home game against Mansfield will provide more of a challenge.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't want to labour the point, but here's the quote via Matthew Jones.

Just didn't sit right with me, the manager should know the player well enough and be willing to make a tough call rather than leaving it to the player. On another day Nors bags a brace and we think Micky's a footballing genius.

I think the stress is getting to me.

I think the manager did make a tough call. The physios said Norwood should not play, Nors said he felt all right and Mellon took a risk and played him. It was ultimately Mellon's decision, not the player's.

Player
Manager
John King
When I mentioned some of Mullin's shortcomings I was simply saying that if he plays tomorrow it is not a like for like swap with Norwood. We can't expect him to do what Nors does and there will have to be tactical adjustments because of that. I agree with Boz that while automatic promotion is still a mathematical possibility, we have to play our strongest team. However, our strongest team at this moment probably does not include Norwood.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
@Boz fair point Boz, although I've already convinced myself we will get nothing at Lincoln, Norwood or not. I think with the injuries we have, winning the last three is a tall order.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Ian, even now, it's not that clearcut. Given their superior goal difference, Milton Keynes need another 5 points for automatics, optimistically assuming Rovers win our remaining 3 games. While home to Port Vale is unlikely to present any problem, a trip to Colchester and a final home game against Mansfield will provide more of a challenge.
I'm with you, Boz. Although it’s now unlikely, it’s not unthinkable given the erratic form of our rivals. This is one way it could happen.

Clearly, we now need three wins, which would give us 80 points. Our goal difference is much worse than the others and we won't narrow the gap with a half-fit Nors, so we need at least one more point than any two of the teams currently above us. Our best chance is to catch Bury and overtake either MK Dons or Mansfield.

Beating Bury would still leave us behind on GD, so we would need them to draw one of their other two games.

If Dons and Stags each win one and lose one of their next two, then they would be on 78 and 79 respectively on the final day of the season. But they will then play each other, so at least one must drop points and it would be impossible for both to get 80 points to overtake us.

So, as long as we get maximum points, Bury win and draw their other games and both Dons and Stags drop at least three points in their next two games, we will finish third. Not likely, but far from hopeless. Where there is hope, there is light and strength. ;)

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
I'm with you, Boz. Although it’s now unlikely, it’s not unthinkable given the erratic form of our rivals. This is one way it could happen.

Clearly, we now need three wins, which would give us 80 points. Our goal difference is much worse than the others and we won't narrow the gap with a half-fit Nors, so we need at least one more point than any two of the teams currently above us. Our best chance is to catch Bury and overtake either MK Dons or Mansfield.

Beating Bury would still leave us behind on GD, so we would need them to draw one of their other two games.

If Dons and Stags each win one and lose one of their next two, then they would be on 78 and 79 respectively on the final day of the season. But they will then play each other, so at least one must drop points and it would be impossible for both to get 80 points to overtake us.

So, as long as we get maximum points, Bury to win and draw their other games and both Dons and Stags drop at least three points in their next two games, we will finish third. Not likely, but far from hopeless.
Good analysis BBTC. If we had a fully fit squad I would fancy us to do it, but injuries probably mean it is a step too far.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Good analysis BBTC. If we had a fully fit squad I would fancy us to do it, but injuries probably mean it is a step too far.
Realistically, you are probably right. We still need two points to be sure of the play-offs. I hope we don't now fall away and have to win at Crawley on the last day. But meanwhile, let's be optimistic.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
On Nelson, seen a suggestion he handled in blocking their breakaway late in the match and FGR could have had a penalty. I didn’t see clearly, any thoughts?
Fairly clear pen from my position. One we got away with!