• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Forest Green - Play Off 1

Rovers v Forest Green - Play Off 1
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Friday, May 10, 2019 - 07:45 PM
Until: Friday, May 10, 2019 - 09:30 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Now that was a comeback I could enjoy ! Great performance by Spurs and I hope they stuff our neighbours in the final.
Although I've lived in the south for more than half my life, I would always support a Merseyside team against a London one.

However, I'm delighted for Spurs. It was a great performance that has been a long time coming. Success for English teams in Europe always pleases me - even if it's Man U. I am happy too for Mauricio Pochettino, one of the game's gentlemen. A great coach and a humble man.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Although I've lived in the south for more than half my life, I would always support a Merseyside team against a London one.
So would I as long as they were wearing white and had Rovers in their name.

For what it is worth, most of my family are from the South East and a number of them support / have a soft spot for Spurs, so I was pleased for them. However, I don't need to justify my disdain for Liverpool (and Everton) which is shared by many Tranmere supporters.

Player
aldo
is right my wife supports the reds , i will be down the pub with her supporting them , with my rovers top on . at least its coming back to our shores

Player
ian goodison
AM couldn,t agree more with your comment regarding ticket prices, add on petrol/coach fare food & drinks it,s bad enough going on your own but if youv,e got kids it,s a hefty chunk of money

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
However, I don't need to justify my disdain for Liverpool (and Everton) which is shared by many Tranmere supporters.
You are entitled to your views but relations between Rovers and Liverpool have never been better. The pre-season friendlies have been a great help to our club, not to mention the revenue from the use of our ground. Relations generally between the three clubs' supporters is as good as if not better than you will find elsewhere in England, never mind Scotland or the rest of the world. If I have any disdain, it is for the Premier League and the way it is set up, rather than well-run clubs like Everton and Liverpool. But without all the money, would we have got two English clubs through to the Champions League final? Many families are divided - mine and AM's are just two - yet we all get on and the banter is just friendly. You will always get some idiots, but they are in the minority.

I tend to regard Tranmere and Liverpool as existing in two different worlds, which rarely meet. I support Rovers and attend games whenever I can. But I also enjoy watching European and EPL games on TV, particularly Match of the Day. I will be rooting for both Rovers and Liverpool over the weekend, the Reds in Madrid and hopefully TRFC again at Wembley. If Everton were up there instead, I would want them to win.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Can we try and stay on topic please chaps.

Player
aldo
ok well im sticking it out there , the last play off game we had at night was one of the best rovers performance that season . when we beat the shots 3-0 . so im gonna say mm will get the better over the forest . and with the lads pissed off with the cheating and time wasting of the recent home game we will di it again 3-0 with norwood and jennings getting them and perkins having a blinder with 10500/11k . with 200 away be positive

Player
Manager
John King
You are entitled to your views but relations between Rovers and Liverpool have never been better. The pre-season friendlies have been a great help to our club, not to mention the revenue from the use of our ground. Relations generally between the three clubs' supporters is as good as if not better than you will find elsewhere in England, never mind Scotland or the rest of the world. If I have any disdain, it is for the Premier League and the way it is set up, rather than well-run clubs like Everton and Liverpool. But without all the money, would we have got two English clubs through to the Champions League final? Many families are divided - mine and AM's are just two - yet we all get on and the banter is just friendly. You will always get some idiots, but they are in the minority.

I tend to regard Tranmere and Liverpool as existing in two different worlds, which rarely meet. I support Rovers and attend games whenever I can. But I also enjoy watching European and EPL games on TV, particularly Match of the Day. I will be rooting for both Rovers and Liverpool over the weekend, the Reds in Madrid and hopefully TRFC again at Wembley. If Everton were up there instead, I would want them to win.
I share your disdain for the Premier League, but Liverpool and Everton are very much part of the problem, particularly the former. Our relationship with Liverpool is one of business convenience on both sides; they have no sentimental attachment to us and if we did not exist they could hoover up yet more support on the Wirral. Yes, we receive some crumbs from their table but that is as nothing compared to the financial damage they do to us, through their Sky deals, EPP rules which forced the closure of our academy and their active pursuit of supporters in our catchment area. In 1982 Man Utd came to our aid before them. Apologies Ian.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Back to tomorrow nights game. There has been quite a bit of rain the last 48 hours so is there any concerns about the pitch given the recent criticism of it? My u12s played last night in Neston and the pitch was fine so hopefully PP will be the same!

As has been pointed out, any sort of draw wouldn't be a disaster. FGR have the second best away record in the league whereas their home form is average. I still have concerns about who will score if Nors has an off day or isn't fit, and also our recent form of 1 win in the last 7 whereas I think FGR have won 5 out of their last 6, including that win at PP a few weeks ago.

But as its basically 2 cup finals, hopefully form goes out of the window, we get a bit of luck and can keep them quiet. They have good attacking options with Doidge, Brown & the tricky Mondial who scored the winner at PP. It'll be a big test for Nelson assuming he plays instead of big Steve. My guess is it'll be Nors on his own up top with Jennings just behind. Midfield of Morris, Perky, Banks & Pringle (although the latter - released from Preston today - has still not done enough for me). Back 4 of Caprice, Nelson, Manny & Rides.

PP will be bouncing - lets hope its not a damp squib

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Does anyone have a reserved seat in the kop? I do but none of the seats ever have stickers on them!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I mean are all the seats still numbered? I’ve not looked for ages.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Haven't heard any injury updates; is Caprice match fit? The tactics that we started the Good Friday game with didn't work and while having Perkins back may help restrict the flow of the ball to their full-backs, especially the dangerous Mills on the left, I hope that Micky has come up with some adjustments that can stifle Forest Green's attacking play in this match. While a draw wouldn't be the end of the world, it would be infinitely preferable to take a lead to the New Lawn.

Looks like I will be able to get to the game now, though having to buy a ticket on the night. It will be interesting to see the final numbers who show up for this fixture.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Does anyone have a reserved seat in the kop? I do but none of the seats ever have stickers on them!
I've managed to get our season ticket seats which do have "R" on them.
Number wise, are they on the underside of the seat and visible when seat tilted up? I can't really remember either. You can barely see the row numbers painted on the steps theses days.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with Sparky that a 442 with Pringle and Morris out wide would be our most creative line up. Micky clearly is not happy with Pringle's workrate, but he does have genuine quality at this level and can unlock a defence.

However, I am not sure that line up is the best one for this game. In the match on Good Friday FGR got control of the midfield early on with their passing game, and we were overrun at times. I think Micky might start with a 451, with Jennings on the left and Harris in midfield, as it is vital we stay solid in the early stages of the game and don't concede the first goal. We really need Caprice to be fit to play, as I think Buxton will struggle against a side with decent pace and movement and we have already been forced into changes at the back.

I think it would be a great result if we could take any kind of lead to the New Lawn and even a draw would not be a disaster, given Forest Green's poor home form. I am just hoping for a much better performance than the previous one against the Green Devils, and we will need one if we are to get a result.

I think the crowd will be 10,000 plus, although there must be some doubt about the pitch given the persistent rain we have had in the last few days.

COYWB !

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think Newport might be punching above their weight a little. They've not impressed tonight and I wasn't that impressed when we played them at Rodney Parade.