• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Exiles

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Newport

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What’s quite frustrating is that we are still creating chances and have missed some absolute sitters in the last few games.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
What’s quite frustrating is that we are still creating chances and have missed some absolute sitters in the last few games.
Glatzel should have buried the chance in the first half but does look rather lightweight and as fir Mani sheesh not sure where to start.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Each of our performances has been very similar and very tight, just a different scoreline yesterday. You could argue the toss in each game about neither team being fully-deserving of a victory or a point-a-piece being fair. The “frailties” have been in existence since game 1, that’s not to say there’s not enough positives to balance any negatives out, hence our mid-table position and results. Problem is, we need more than current showings if we’re realistic about promotion. FGR and others already having a leap on us is a concern, as I feel a few of the teams currently sitting at the top of the table will maintain relative consistency this season. What we don’t want is the gap to be too big come Mickey’s fabled January recruitment.; yes, a long way to go yet I know, but worrying all the same with the lack of goals. At the current rate of scoring, it’d take us all season to match FGR current tally.
I was impressed with Nevitt yesterday, although clearly still a little raw at this level. McManaman impressed again when he came on.
Agree that playing three CB is not ideal and they all just got in each others way for the goal, soft defending really. Also, please leave somebody upfront Mickey as an outlet.
Glatzel’s miss, after a fluid move, was a real shame as I’m confident we’d have gone on to win the game if that had nestled in the back of the net; all ifs and buts I know, but it does show how tight the game was and the margins are so fine.
On the bright side, we have been competitive in each game and at no stage have we been dominated, other than short spells which were more about maintaining possession and odd moments of pressure than dominance, we’ve also had equal “domination” against each opponent; definitely can’t see us getting thumped this season as we did on the few occasions last season.
Having tried to add some positives (always easier when posting the next day!), as always, massively disappointing to lose any game, particularly at home to one of a very few teams in League Two who are not only hard to beat, but also hard to like or admire.
Anyway, the story continues.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that since his return from a year north of the border Micky is using a lot of Scots dialect in his interviews? Listen again if you don’t believe me. He’s always had a strong Scottish accent but I am now hearing a lot of words you don’t often hear on the streets of Birkenhead. ;)
Agreed. Scots blood on my mothers side and was up there last month, so I'm fairly up to speed with the lingo.

I wonder whether he's having second thoughts about coming back here now? There was good early business on the squad building, but things coming to a grinding halt must be very frustrating.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Agreed. Scots blood on my mothers side and was up there last month, so I'm fairly up to speed with the lingo.

I wonder whether he's having second thoughts about coming back here now? There was good early business on the squad building, but things coming to a grinding halt must be very frustrating.
It is difficult to read his demeanour. He expressed frustration after the Rangers game, probably trying to force the club to move faster on the McNulty deal. Since then he has appeared more relaxed, but without a related increase in activity. Difficult to know what is going on behind the scenes.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson

My father's family was Scottish and holidays up there helped. Thee are lots of Scots dialect words which are strange to English ears, although some like wee, bairn, kirk and auld are more familiar.

I think he found life in Dundee frustrating with the lack of support from the owner and the scepticism of the fans. It's quite different down here, where he's still a hero with the majority of the SWA. As for our owner, you won't find a better one anywhere and you'll find only a few richer ones at this level. We are all impatient for success. It will come eventually. We could go up this season with a seasoned striker, if not then next season. With a fair wind, promotion to the Championship within five years is quite possible if we can continue to build the squad and develop successful off-the-field income streams. We are still very much a work in progress. With Mark running the club and Micky as our manager, I believe all this is possible. But if Micky leaves, our recovery would be delayed again, as it was last season.

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'd just caught these highlights elsewhere, but thanks to Ian for posting the link as a reference point.

It's hard to draw general conclusions from under 2 minutes of action. Both the first two efforts were from Glatzel; a long range effort that the keeper punched away, on another day that could have landed more favourably and the miss. It was disappointing that he didn't test the keeper, but not sure that it was a nailed-on goal, even if he hits the target. I had some reservations when we signed Glatzel, which haven't been dispelled by seeing him in action, but he's a young kid, coming back after a serious injury, yet doesn't seem to be cut the same amount of slack as Nevitt.

Newport hit the woodwork twice and both the first incident and the goal, where Fisher scored at the third attempt seemed to have defenders getting in each others way, on the first occasion we got away with it on the second they scored the winner.

Player
Manager
John King
I think Glatzel is a good, technical player, but he is quite similar to a number of our midfielders and wide men. I am not sure he has the presence in the eighteen yard box you would expect from a genuine forward.

More generally, I think academy players, while technically good, lack the aggression and physicality that is required in the lower divisions, which is why so many fall by the wayside when they are released by EPL clubs.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I wonder whether he's having second thoughts about coming back here now?
He's only a couple of games into the season! Still plenty of twists and turns to come. I actually think he quite likes living here. If you go to New Brighton there is a good chance you'll bump into him on one of his power walks! We are all a bit frustrated at the moment but let's see what happens in the new few weeks. We are Tranmere, we don't do things the easy way.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Still early days. 42 league games left with 126 points to play for so Micky won’t be panicking just yet.
however I still have concerns about the squad. We need a striker but elsewhere I think we badly need some energy and younger legs. If we sign Duffy which looks likely we’ll have Murphy 40, Clarke 39, NKP 34, Spearing 32, Foley 34, Feeney 34 and Duffy 35. Yes we have some younger players but I think we need more energy and pace.
When we signed Mcmanaman I commented that on average he plays 20-25 games a season. Already with us he has only started 2 out of 4 league games. Is he hitting the stats that Micky requires in training? Feeney was hopeless late last season and whilst he has done ok so far he’s still getting on a bit
Add to that mickys seemingly defensively approach yesterday playing Jay and Foley and not Watson and 5 at the back at home there is a lot to do I think.

But got to trust in mickey and as I say, a long way to go but hopefully some new signings very soon

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think Glatzel is a good, technical player, but he is quite similar to a number of our midfielders and wide men. I am not sure he has the presence in the eighteen yard box you would expect from a genuine forward.

More generally, I think academy players, while technically good, lack the aggression and physicality that is required in the lower divisions, which is why so many fall by the wayside when they are released by EPL clubs.
I mainly agree with this. though he may not been quite at full sharpness yet. If we do get someone more experienced in, there may be potential for him to work alongside them. Possibly his footballing brain may help him compensate for the lack of presence

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
He's only a couple of games into the season! Still plenty of twists and turns to come. I actually think he quite likes living here. If you go to New Brighton there is a good chance you'll bump into him on one of his power walks! We are all a bit frustrated at the moment but let's see what happens in the new few weeks. We are Tranmere, we don't do things the easy way.
It was a bit of a surprise of the welcome kind, when Micky returned, as he seemed to have a difficult relationship with Mark. I say seemed as the reality isn't known. The expectation was that he'd been given assurances about recruitment and a decent budget for the squad. His remarks after the Rangers game don't seem to have prompted much action at on the recruitment front with no positive results after the McNulty deal fell through. I've no idea what assurances he was given in the discussions which resulted in his return, but it doesn't feel like our budget at present is top third.

Player
Manager
John King
It was a bit of a surprise of the welcome kind, when Micky returned, as he seemed to have a difficult relationship with Mark. I say seemed as the reality isn't known. The expectation was that he'd been given assurances about recruitment and a decent budget for the squad. His remarks after the Rangers game don't seem to have prompted much action at on the recruitment front with no positive results after the McNulty deal fell through. I've no idea what assurances he was given in the discussions which resulted in his return, but it doesn't feel like our budget at present is top third.
I would say the budget must be top third if you consider the players we have brought in to date, plus the money that was made available for McNulty. However, that does not guarantee the recruitment of a top striker.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I would say the budget must be top third if you consider the players we have brought in to date, plus the money that was made available for McNulty. However, that does not guarantee the recruitment of a top striker.
We didn't bring in McNulty or anybody else though. I'd agree with you that if we use the McNulty pot to bring in others including a striker who's an improvement on those currently on the books then it's likely to be top third at that point. If on the other hand we don't bring anyone of note in then it will stay below the top third benchmark.

Player
Manager
John King
We didn't bring in McNulty or anybody else though. I'd agree with you that if we use the McNulty pot to bring in others including a striker who's an improvement on those currently on the books then it's likely to be top third at that point. If on the other hand we don't bring anyone of note in then it will stay below the top third benchmark.
I not sure about that. We already have a number of players that are big names for this level (MacManaman, Spearing, Watson, Glatzel (we are paying a substantial percentage of his wages apparently) and others.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I not sure about that. We already have a number of players that are big names for this level (MacManaman, Spearing, Watson, Glatzel (we are paying a substantial percentage of his wages apparently) and others.
The first two don't surprise me, Watson does a bit and if we are paying a large chunk of Glatzel's wages that raises some concerns of why we'd opt to take that risk. I'd guess Sa£ford, Bradford and Mansfield have bigger budgets than us at present, along with some teams who have significantly more squad depth. The prognosis is certainly gloomy if we can't afford to strengthen further, but I'm hoping, with none of the McNulty funds spent on other players, that's not the case.

Player
Manager
John King
The first two don't surprise me, Watson does a bit and if we are paying a large chunk of Glatzel's wages that raises some concerns of why we'd opt to take that risk. I'd guess Sa£ford, Bradford and Mansfield have bigger budgets than us at present, along with some teams who have significantly more squad depth. The prognosis is certainly gloomy if we can't afford to strengthen further, but I'm hoping, with none of the McNulty funds spent on other players, that's not the case.
I agree that Salford and Mansfield have bigger budgets than us. However, I am not sure about Bradford and I doubt there are many others. As an example, none of the four teams we have played to date have a bigger squad than ours.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree that Salford and Mansfield have bigger budgets than us. However, I am not sure about Bradford and I doubt there are many others. As an example, none of the four teams we have played to date have a bigger squad than ours.
Port Vale on squad size? I'd be surprised if Bradford don't have a bigger budget.

Player
Manager
John King
Port Vale on squad size? I'd be surprised if Bradford don't have a bigger budget.
Going by the programme last week, Vale's squad is not bigger, but in any case I would argue their quality is inferior in many areas.

What makes you sure Bradford have a big budget ? Cook aside, they don't have many players that leap out as being highly paid to me.