• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Exiles

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Newport

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The next visitors to Prenton Park are Newport, a team who are always competitive under Mike Flynn but lost quite a few of their players during the summer. There are still a few standout names in their squad, including Ed Upson and the Peter Pan of League Two, Kevin Ellison. I expect this will be a very different affair to Tuesday's night's game: matches against Flynn's teams are always ugly and scrappy, although we won't have to tolerate the antics of Joss Labadie this time around.

The team selection will be interesting. I know Micky has suggested he will continue to rotate, but I think MacManaman has to start again as we look a more inventive and dangerous team when he is in the side. I would guess Mani will still get the nod ahead of Nevitt up front, and we will continue with the 3421 formation we have used in the last two matches. Sam Foley might come back into the side in place of Watson.

Prediction: a narrow Rovers victory to make it a very good start to the season.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
At least with Merrie being available we have another option, wouldn't be surprised another draw 1 1.

Player
Manager
John King
At least with Merrie being available we have another option, wouldn't be surprised another draw 1 1.
Yes, I forgot about that. We could switch to a back four with Merrie at left back if Micky wanted to.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I expect Newport to provide Rovers' sternest test so far this season in terms of ability and physicality, but ever the optimist I'm going for 1-0.

Player
Manager
John King
They will certainly be physical, but I am not sure ability wise they will be as good as Swindon. They have lost quite a few of their best players.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Always had a strong dislike for Newport most probably because of the way they play. They'll want to bounce back after their defeat to Mansfield. I can see this being another physical, tough battle but I think we'll win it by a goal. Going for 2-1.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Great that Merrie will be available. Left field, but given it could be a physical game, I would like to see Manni and Nevitt on the pitch together at some stage. Strangely they may compliment each other.

Player
ian goodison
don't think they have amond up front he's a player similar to Henderson now at Salford and one I would like to have seen here, I'm sure their manager will have them fired up

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Although the personnel may have changed, don't expect Newport to have changed much in how they approach the game under Flynn. They've a decent keeper in Joe Day and a solid base with the likes of Dolan and Ellison along with some loan signings and youngsters.

Quite a few decisions for Micky in terms of line-up and tactics. Apparently Newport lined up 541 in their defeat at Mansfield, if they're only playing a lone striker then due we adjust to something closer to a 442 and keep them occupied? There doesn't seem to have been any indication how close Macdonald is to a return, so much as I'd prefer to see Merrie in midfield, he may have to fill in at left-back again, with Watson in central midfield rather than further forward. Think I'd go for Dieseruvwe and Nevitt up top, Eliott may be raw, but he hustles and makes things happen, while Mani may be better suited to this kind of game than Glatzel.

Looking like I won't be able to make this, expecting a fairly tight game either a draw or a win by the odd goal to either team.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
It might that Manni and Nevitt will compliment each other. Big lads but different types of players.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I do not think that there will be many goals. It could be a very hard watch in the rain.
Defences on top and chances minimal.
I gonna go for a third 0-0 on the trot.

And taking my sleeping bag and pillow, just in case!

TRFCJason

Player
John Aldridge
I think tomorrow will be our toughest game so far, would like to see Nevitt and Mani as a pairing upfront, prediction is 1-0 but I could see this being goaless

Player
Manager
John King
In fairness, while the last two matches have been goalless they have not been dull, particularly Tuesday night.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Newport boss Mike Flynn awaiting the result of a covid test.

Player
Manager
John King
The big news is that Nevitt starts. Still five at the back, MacManaman, Merrie and Mani on the bench.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think Nevitt deserves a start. Bit puzzled that two of our better players from Swindon in Watson and Macmanaman have been rested, while Merrie after his enforced break doesn’t start. As I said earlier not sure we really need 5 at the back for this one. Will be interested to hear how it pans out.