• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Dons

Player
Backayogo
I don't think the quality of our players is too much of an issue. We know what quality we have. As mentioned before it's all about self belief and confidence. I'm sure Hartlepool do not have too much quality but they have more confidence now. With regards to quality, Green's quality stuck out like a sore thumb, I just hope he continues in his enthusiasm for us.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Picking up on a few things since my last post;

I wasn't at the Dagenham game, so can't comment on how we defended that day- the highlights suggest badly. That was with a pairing of Thompson-Dugdale and we appeared to be undone by pace. Firstly, Wimbledon weren't that pacey up front until the no 14 appeared from the bench. Also Ihiekwe is no slouch, but is better suited to the central defensive role, while Donacien had some good games as right-back/wing-back earlier in the season. Can't see the problem with switching pacy defenders to their best position.

Akinfenwa, for all his excess baggage, was the main source of Wimbledon attacks and took the jibes about his weight from the home fans with creditable good humour.

Holmes apparently only returned to contention on Thursday apparently, so perhaps that was the reason he wasn't considered for a start. I'd also have him in the side in the side as one of the regulars who visibly CARES about our performance. Fonners, Max, Laird also fall into that category, after that I'm struggling. George Green a young talented kid on short term loan from Everton seemed to want it more than some who'll be around when he's gone back.

Micky Adams must take a large chunk of the blame for Donnelly's loss of form. He played well in the opening games for us, as a forward. If our manager wanted a winger he should have gone out and recruited one or even given Baggie a proper chance, rather than shunting an in form player like Rory out of position. I'd be interested to know which players he regularly deployed out of position in his successful stint at Port Vale. It might be worth resting him for Stevenage, but hopefully he won't be frozen out completely. Hume did quite well coming on and his work-rate and experience could be crucial in what will be a niggly next game

Finally the footage of Green's goal is excellent, let's hope we see more of the same and big thanks to Everton for letting us have him.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree about Donnelly. The decision to shift him out wide was bizarre, and as a result he has lost confidence and we have forfeited the only regular goalscorer among our strikers.

Although there has been more effort in the last three or four games, I would agree with Boz about the general lack of conviction in the side in the last two months, with the exception of the players he lists. The attitude of some players this season is reminiscent of our relegation from the Championship, where some of the better players like Parkinson, Roberts and Allison seriously underperformed, and it was only Hill and Yates that gave 100% every week.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
George Green a young talented kid on short term loan from Everton seemed to want it more than some who'll be around when he's gone back.
This is true, sadly.. He was quite animated, I wish some of the others would be too as at times it looks like they aren't arsed.

Player
Goodison
Am I the only person who is growing to hate this current Tranmere team? I've never seen a bigger bunch of spineless cowards who aren't up for a fight. Every Monday we get the same old postives to take etc, and every Saturday we get the same old crap. I wouldn't mind if every single player left in the summer, pathetic excuse of a football team. I nearly excluded Holmes from that list, but whilst he has commitment, he's got no pace and is pathetic going forward.

The team are incapable of keeping a clean sheet and to me that is down to lack of desire, watching Akinfenwa's goal, our defence just stand and watch - it's disgraceful. I can forgive lack of talent, I can't forgive lack of application - this squad is full of it.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
roverstillidie says "I nearly excluded Holmes from that list, but whilst he has commitment, he's got no pace and is pathetic going forward." Have you forgotten so soon the cracking goal he scored against Shrewsbury. I accept some of the "media statements" are just publicity fluff but I think you are wrong in your assessment of Danny Holmes, one of the few players this season who has given his all, injuries permiting, to save our club. I agree it's a pity that more haven't shown the same commitment.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
He did score a cracking goal and his commitment is not in question. Although i do agree with roverstillidie. He does freeze most of the time he gets past the halfway line. Although there are plenty of other weaknesses in the team so probably unfair to highlight one of our most consistent performers.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Holmes has been our player of the year, by some distance.
Totally agree with this.
Ihiekwe ventures forward even less than Holmes when playing at full-back, though he's made some decent runs forward from central defence. Donacien is by far the best option going forward, but don't think he's been as steady in the defensive side of his game.

Player
Goodison
He did score a good goal, but it's one of those 1 in a 100 efforts, most of the time they end up in row z. He has been our player of the season, but that's not much of an achievement. Clear the decks and start again for me.