• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Donny

Rovers v Donny
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, October 26, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, October 26, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is in-form Doncaster up next for Rovers, assuming that the game actually goes ahead, as the weather forecast for Friday night and Saturday morning is terrible.

Doncaster are winning plaudits for the quality of their football this season under Darren Moore and arrive at PP fresh from a 7-1 thrashing of Southend. However, I doubt they are any better than Peterborough or Rotherham and I am not sure the results in midweek will have much bearing on the outcome of this game. We are capable of getting a result.

In terms of selection, I would have preferred to play with three centre backs in a 532, but if Nelson is not fit to start I would still try and play with three in midfield. Perhaps a 4312, with Jennings in a midfield trio and Morris just behind Mullin and Hepburn Murphy, although there would be square pegs in round holes. I would want to avoid 442 if possible, as that system has left the defence completely exposed in the last couple of games, but injuries might force us to play that system.

It seems that Doncaster will bring a decent following of 7-800, and I think the gate will be in the region of 7,000. A victory would be a much needed boost.

Last edited:
Player
ian goodison
I have a horrible feeling we will not see many changes, I know we are restricted with injuries but even when micky talks of changes it doesn,t come to much, can,t see anything but an away win but yiy never know with rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Another game, I’ll be missing. Doncaster’s form has been a bit erratic but they’ll be difficult opponents. At full strength, would think we could make a decent fist of it, but as things stand expecting a defeat and would settle for damage limitation and be delighted if we take anything.

If we had the option, I’d drop Ray even if it meant deploying Ridehalgh in central defence. As it is, might still need the Rides option, with CBJ at wing-back. There are problems further forward with Payne suspended. Is Ponticelli any good in the air, looks a big lad but haven’t heard anything positive about him. Otherwise, think I’d be inclined to use Mullin in a Norwood-style lone striker role as he will do some chasing around.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Agree with Boz that this could be damage limitation though I said the same thing at St Andrews!
Possible that Nelson may come in for Ray and a striking role for Connor?
Some of the knee jerk, almost hysterical posts on twitter from people whose views I generally respect have been quite OTT.
Beaten by a team with £900,000 a week wage bill compared with our £76,000 and with an income 1284% greater than ours and we're treated with comments like "the NL team would beat this one".
Presumably making exceptions for the likes of Maynard, Kirby, Cole, Mekki, Stockton et al.
For sure these aren't easy times but give me a backs to the wall season in this league than games against the likes of Solihull, Halifax, Dover etc any day of the week.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They are coming here in high spirits having put seven past Southend. The defence worries me. If we kept a clean sheet I would be amazed. So with that in mind, we need some creativity in midfield to give the strikers something to feed off.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I am I have to be honest hoping for the match to be off - the last thing we need at the moment is a slugfest on a very heavy pitch and we pick up yet more hamstring injuries.... Nelson, Wilson and Potter, should be fully fit by next weekend plus probably CBT whose scan confirmed no hamstring damage, and possibly even Ferrier who is back running so might be fit enough for the bench....
A postponement would also allow MM more time to work on the training field to get over the effects of Tuesday. If it goes ahead MM suggested in his pre-match he would prefer to play with 2 up front.... so maybe his usual misdirection and Mullin up front by himself - even though I just don't see that working as the ball will just keep coming back at us...

Player
Manager
John King
We have played two up front virtually all season and if we don't tomorrow it will only be because of injuries / suspensions.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think he’ll play Jennings up top with Mullin allowing Connor to drop deep giving us possible overloads in the middle.
Or suspect he’ll play RHM who did ok in his little cameo on Tuesday. Who knows - Maddox may even get a run out

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There’s to be a 9.15am pitch inspection, so I Hope it rains all night.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think a postponement does us any good financially, and won't necessarily benefit us on the pitch. However, the game is certain to be off.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'd agree it's not good for the finances, but the chance of getting a result out of this game would be enhanced by having a stronger squad and we may get Donny when they're not straight off thumping another side. Swings and roundabouts.

Player
ian goodison
the thought of sitting through another performance like southend in this weather is frightening I hope it,s off

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Shame.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
For once, I'm relieved. Another seven days to recover and prepare for next Saturday's six-pointer against MK Dons. And at least we can't drop into the mire as Wimbledon were to play Bury today.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Just as well we didn't play. Thanks to MK Dons defeat we have moved up one place on goal difference. ;) All the other results were favourable and only Gillingham from the bottom half won (and they helped us by winning at Accrington). Nors did us a favour by scoring two, his first in six games in Ipswich's win at Southend.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Just as well we didn't play. Thanks to MK Dons defeat we have moved up one place on goal difference. ;) All the other results were favourable and only Gillingham from the bottom half won (and they helped us by winning at Accrington). Nors did us a favour by scoring two, his first in six games in Ipswich's win at Southend.

Mk Dons have lost 7 out of their last 8 and hardly scored a goal, lets hope they don't find their scoring boots next week

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, a good set of results with Acccrington, MK Dons and Southend all losing. Gillingham won, but are likely to finish above us anyway.