• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Donny

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Not one single effin' shot on target in 94 minutes of play...and Goodi on as a makeshift striker for the last 6 minutes.....the "fat lady" is not only singing, she's laughing her effin' head off!#-o

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We have become alarmingly poor now i doubt we will win another game this season.

Some of our tactics are baffling now, why persist with zoom at left midfield when it is clearly not working.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
I notice that EVERY other team in this league had at least 2 shots on target....how on earth can you expect to win games if you can't even get shots on target. An absolute joke except this one ain't funny. There can be no excuse for this abysmal failure.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I will be amazed if we win any of the last 3 games, we have become very poor indeed and are creating very little.

Why ronnie persists with zoom left midfield is beyond me it worked for 1 game thats it. Poor show yet again we we dont test the keeper and create virtually nothing.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I was going to go to this, until some last minute transport difficulties. With hindsight, I'm grateful. It seemed inevitable that Rob Jones having spent most of the game at PP stopping us from scoring, was to pop up with the Donny winner. Given how much was at stake, Ronnie should have started Zoum at left-back, where he's been class most of the season, but I'm not sure he had many other options. Will be interested to see what those who made the Keepmoat have to say.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Boz, zoom left back robbo left midfield was an option. Stockton or O'Halloran up front were options. O'Halloran or Thompson out wide were options too.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Bigmart, Ash Taylor in midfield and Goodi at left-back were 'options' too. I'd agree that O'Halloran up front would have made sense, with Robbo left-midfield. Can understand why Stockton didn't start; he and JLAA don't seem to gel, while as I remarked pre-match, Thompson's loan form didn't suggest a significant upturn in confidence.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Bell-baggie at the moment for me is better coming off the bench i wouldve started Thompson give the lad another go.

tactically ronnie has got it wrong too many times in recent weeks, the signing of mcginty now just looks even more of a waste.

DIW

Player
Goodison
Utterly depressing. No harm really in losing away to Donny but no shots on target in 90 minutes and it's hardly the first game like that recently. Next Sats game at home will be like a morgue. Glad I can't make it.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We were unlucky not to take a point from the game today. Some of the venomuous comments above are completely out of order: it is generally sensible to get the views of someone who actually attended the game before making pronouncements about it ??

There were very few chances for either side on a disgraceful pitch that made any attempt to play football impossible. That said, Doncaster did pass it better than us in the first half, which is probably understandable given their very high confidence levels and the fact they are used to the surface. They had the better of the play, but we defended very well and restricted them to mostly long range efforts. Ash was outstanding, and ABB looked lively when he did get on the ball, which was not often enough.

After the break, we actually showed the greater purpose and dominated for 15-20 minutes. Akpro had a good opportunity about ten minutes in which he should have done better with, lashing it wide when he should have gone across the keeper: this and a header from a Robbo free kick in the first half were probably the best two opportunities in the game other than their goal. Doncaster's goal came from virtually their first attack of the half, a set play with McCoombe (six foot five) knodding down for Jones (six foot seven) to put the ball home. It was the first and only time in the game the back four let their guard down.

After that we huffed and puffed, showed plenty of endeavour, but could not really trouble their back four. The quality and decision making in certain areas is poor at the moment because confidence is rock bottom, but I think the players really deserve credit for having a go today in almost impossible circumstances.

I came away feeling pleased with the effort the players put in: we really could not have given much more against a team that are in infinitely better form than us and are almost certain to be promoted. I don't think Doncaster did enough to deserve to win the game, and ultimately it was our inability to deal with two six foot plus galoots and our lack of confidence in attacking areas that has cost us. This performance was much better than the Sheff Utd one, we just sorely need to scrape a lucky one nil to get some kind of confidence back into the team.

Some seem to be questioning the decision to play Robbo in the hole, but this was a change I had called for and was sensible as it meant he saw plenty of the ball in the middle of the pitch and had a decent game.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
So we created about 2 chances according to your report and failed to get a single effort on target but you suggest we were unlucky, you sound like ronnie at the moment.

As for venemous comments what exclty do you expect, we have got 36 points from out last 31 games, we dont score goals create very little and can hardly keep a clean sheet, besides that i suppose everything is rosy.

Player
Manager
John King
So we created about 2 chances according to your report and failed to get a single effort on target but you suggest we were unlucky, you sound like ronnie at the moment.

As for venemous comments what exclty do you expect, we have got 36 points from out last 31 games, we dont score goals create very little and can hardly keep a clean sheet, besides that i suppose everything is rosy.

We were unlucky. We did not deserve to lose the game. I know this does not fit with your agenda, but they are the facts as I see them. We were s**t against Sheff Utd, but we were not today, at least no poorer than the opposition who are curently top of the league. I would rather sound like Ronnie than a number of contributors on various Tranmere forums at the moment; thanks for the compliment.

I would not expect venomous comments from a supporter of a team with one of the bottom six budgets in the division that is likely to finish seventh or eighth. The order in which a team's points are accumulated is ultimately irrelevant, and we have comfortably overachieved this season.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I havent got an agenda im just hugely disappointed that we have blown a 7 point lead at the top of the table and will not make the play offs.

As for budget your telling me that Yeovil have a big budget, no they dont but they have brought in good signings and have 2 goalscorers were as we have none. comfortabl overachieved not at all.

Player
Manager
John King
Of the low spending teams in League One, we are currently second behind Yeovil. That means there are about 15 clubs with similar or bigger budgets than us currently below us in the table. Hence, we have clearly over-achieved this season.

We have brought in numerous good players this season: unfortunately several of them are, or have been, injured, and that has had a massive impact on us. If Yeovil had been missing Madden for six months do you think they would be third in the league ? Cassidy is a goalscorer, it is hardly the club's fault that Wolves refused to extend his loan when he had previously been nowhere near their first team.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We have wasted too much money on poor loan signings, we are apparently paying £2500 a week for sidibe which says it all.

If madden was injured yeovil still have hayter to score goals which is more than we have. As for cassidy we should have had somebody else lined up when it became obvious he would not be coming back which was clear at the end of last year.

Injuries clearly havent helped but nor have the managers poor tactics and the fact that a lot of the team have lost form at the same time.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Leaving aside the effort aspect, it seems like this played out exactly like our recent games. Toothless up front and caught napping at the back again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Player
Manager
John King
We have wasted too much money on poor loan signings, we are apparently paying £2500 a week for sidibe which says it all.

If madden was injured yeovil still have hayter to score goals which is more than we have. As for cassidy we should have had somebody else lined up when it became obvious he would not be coming back which was clear at the end of last year.

Injuries clearly havent helped but nor have the managers poor tactics and the fact that a lot of the team have lost form at the same time.

You mean the same poor tactics that took us top and increased your expectations in the first place ? The fundamental reason for our decline has been the relative poor quality of our squad compared to 5 of the current top 6. If Yeovil had been as unfortunate within injuries as we have, they would not be third in the table. The teams with bigger budgets can absorb injuries, ie. Donny who did not even bring Ian Hume off the bench today.

You bemoan our poor goalscoring record, yet we have scored more than Brentford and Sheff Utd and only one fewer than Donny, so I don't really understand the point you are making. All teams will have a period in the season where they find goals hard to come by.

The manager is not responsible for the fluctuatiuons in the individual form of players. Many of those players have lost form because they are exhausted having had to play too many games this season.

We had about six or seven players 'lined up' to replace Cassidy but we could not get them due to financial constraints or the unwillingness of the players to come here.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
we should have had somebody else lined up when it became obvious he would not be coming back which was clear at the end of last year.
If you cast your mind back to this period, Ronnie was trying to get in a replacement but was struggling to find a) cash to bring a decent one in b) players willing to drop down to play in div one

I don't think its as easy as your making out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The point i am making is we are not scoring goals and we are not creating chances and this is not just down to injuries. The so called football has now turned into hoofing it to the bigman up front which hasnt worked and we have not been able to alter the tactics accordingly.

We have one of the better left backs in the league and we are wasting him at left midfield to accomodate another loan signing we did not need so another waste of our wages.

We had a fantastic chance to make the play offsat worse this season but have blown it big time and its not just down to injuries.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Ian, we are paying out big money by our standards for Sidibe and what a waste that has been.

We could have have signed Baxter this season but ronnie chose not to sign him. We have wasted a great chance to be in the play offs at least as the division has been poor this season.