• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Crawley

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I was wondering if Keith will be asked about Vaughan’s injury after the game but our interviewers are more Jeremy beadle than Jeremy paxman!
Yes, Hill has now confirmed Vaughan is having surgery. I would imagine that is him out for the season.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A bad day all round, let's hope for an improvement on Tuesday

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
No hiding that Vaughan missing the rest of the season is a major blow. Southend have improved recently and KH needs to re-visit his tactics to get a better performance out of our remaining fit players than we managed today.

Player
Manager
John King
I think leaving Nugent on the bench and playing Woolery as a false nine might be the way to go.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Morris should be fit for Tuesday, Khan should return to training the end of next week with Ray having a hip injury

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
No time to start feeling sorry for ourselves. We need to roll up our sleeves and get on with it. Now we turn to KH to make adjustments and make sure we cross that finish line.

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
I like the fact that Hill supports his players and also recognises that the style of play will have to be adapted to who he has available. As he indicated, though, perfect performances won't happen overnight if too many of the regulars are out. On the bright side, Nugent is getting match fit. Khan should be back soon. Morris, sooner.

Player
aldo
they will have to improve loads on today's showing, but as some have said we cant panic we just have to get our selves together and move on, young jolly might have to grow a pair of balls and Nugent needs to get fit and sharp and fast, also Lloyd has played up top in the cup with Woolery so that might be the way to go at the end of the day he has 4 in 4 in the cup so why not try it

Player
aldo
what a day I did 13k was hoping to come home to a good score and had my bonfire well and truly pissed on oh well we will win more than we lose we have to move on and stay positive

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m really not sure how much we can rely on Nugent even when he has gotten match fit. Can we afford to wait for him to get up to speed and will he even get there? He’s 36 in less than two months.

but I guess Hill can only work with what he has at his disposal. Although like RLC I’d prefer Woolery in the middle with say Feeney on the right and Lloyd, Morris or CBT on the left

Player
Manager
John King
I’m really not sure how much we can rely on Nugent even when he has gotten match fit. Can we afford to wait for him to get up to speed and will he even get there? He’s 36 in less than two months.

but I guess Hill can only work with what he has at his disposal. Although like RLC I’d prefer Woolery in the middle with say Feeney on the right and Lloyd, Morris or CBT on the left
I think it depends on how Nugent reacts in the next couple of games. I was listening to the This is Tranmere podcast tonight and they (correctly) suggested that it could take Nugent a month or longer to get up to speed, and we can't wait that long.

I actually thought he played ok in the first half and he clearly has a good football brain. However, whether he can give us enough in the weeks ahead remains to be seen.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, I thought he did OK today considering he is still clearly lacking game time. I don't think it was helped either by the final ball and decision making today. Shame he couldn't have tapped that early chance in, that would have been great for him and us as we are clearly going to need him in the next few weeks.

Player
Manager
John King
I think when we assess the performance yesterday, we also can't underestimate the impact of the loss of other players to injury in recent weeks, in addition to Vaughan.

Kahn has been out for a couple of weeks now, Morris is injured, Lloyd is clearly not match fit and can't last ninety minutes, and Ray went off injured yesterday and was replaced by Manny, who has nowhere near the same composure on the ball and contributed to the defence simply launching it in the second half. There has been a lot of disruption to the first eleven, and so far the majority of the January recruits who have been asked to step in have not looked great.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Caught up with the post-match interview and Keith was very calm and measured in his approach, with an awareness that the tactics and approach here didn't work. It sounds like O'Connor's substitution was also injury-related.

I didn't think we looked as defensively solid yesterday before Ray's injury, neither George nor Peter Clarke were at their best. Clarke picked up an early booking and didn't seem to dominate aerially compared to the norm against the Crawley attack and this may have rubbed off on his partner. Monthe is infuriating, as it's not like he's incapable of distributing well, there was one great cross-field ball to the left touchline, but too many aimless punts coming from the back.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
We aren't the first and won't be the last to be disrupted by injuries this season. We have lauded the strength of our squad and now KH's experience needs to come to the fore in moulding a winning outfit from what we have. As good as the spine of our team is, it is an aging one and it is hardly a surprise that one of the three has picked up a significant injury. Fingers crossed that Clarke and Spearing can stay fit to the end of the season. All to play for!