• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

rovers v coventry

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Ray will have been a lot cheaper than a proven League One centre half, which is why we had to take a gamble on him.

Player
Manager
John King
There is no reason at all that Mellon should not be trusted with transfers, given that it is principally his players that got us up two divisions in the first place. Check out how many of Mellon's signings played in the play off final last year, or would have played had they been fit. The idea that Brabin was some wizard in the transfer market is an urban myth.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
The idea that Brabin was some wizard in the transfer market is an urban myth.
While not a "wizard" his transfers certainly hold up to scrutiny very well. Davies and Jennings have made the journey from NL to regular L1 starters which is an achievement; Norwood, McNulty and Cook became legends on our journey while Harris, Maynard and Sutton have ended up playing at a league above the NL level they were signed at. Not forgetting Jeff Hughes who played his part and could have stayed for a further season. I think Brabin signed them all which is not too shabby. Ok, there were misses as well as hits but the 9 players mentioned above is pretty impressive in a tenure that only lasted 16 months.

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
Cherry-picking the best players from the NL with what parachute money we got is the best credit I can give to Brabin.
A manager he was not though unfortunately.

Player
Manager
John King
While not a "wizard" his transfers certainly hold up to scrutiny very well. Davies and Jennings have made the journey from NL to regular L1 starters which is an achievement; Norwood, McNulty and Cook became legends on our journey while Harris, Maynard and Sutton have ended up playing at a league above the NL level they were signed at. Not forgetting Jeff Hughes who played his part and could have stayed for a further season. I think Brabin signed them all which is not too shabby. Ok, there were misses as well as hits but the 9 players mentioned above is pretty impressive in a tenure that only lasted 16 months.
As Ross says, Brabin had one of the highest budgets in the league and could cherry pick players who would have been known to most managers. Mellon does not have that benefit. It is easy to judge him based on the players that stood the test of time, but what about the dross that did not. Marlon Jackson, Ben Tomlinson, Michael Higdon, Darren Stephenson, Louis Almond, Jonny Margetts, Gary Taylor Fletcher........

Player
Manager
John King
It is easily forgotten that Mellon himself has signed Norburn, Buxton, Ginnelly, Banks, Perkins, Morris, Monthe, Nelson, Ellis and others, all of whom have played key roles in our success. His transfer record is not inferior to Brabins in my view.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
My point wasn't in support of Brabin as a manager or a criticism of Mellon as a recruiter; purely that Brabin's recruitment record shouldn't be disregarded. It was certainly the most impressive part of his tenure and meant Mellon had a core of a squad to work with when he took over, rather than having to start from scratch at the next transfer window.

Player
Manager
John King
My point wasn't in support of Brabin as a manager or a criticism of Mellon as a recruiter; purely that Brabin's recruitment record shouldn't be disregarded. It was certainly the most impressive part of his tenure and meant Mellon had a core of a squad to work with when he took over, rather than having to start from scratch at the next transfer window.
Fair comment, but I think Mellon's recruitment is harshly criticised by some supporters.