• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers V Coventry

andrewesq

Faith Light Strength
Player
Billy Woods
Have to admit Coventry have outweighed my expectations this season, had them as dead certs for the drop, but maybe my thinking was based on off field problems rather than the management and players.!
They have dipped in form recently so I do think this is winnable, and we can do the double on them
Wonder if there will be more Coventry fans coming to Prenton Park than there was at Sixfields

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
They apparently have a large following for away games so we should see a good turnout from them. They score plenty of goals but also concede a lot too, think we will win 2 1

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I would like to see us play the 4-5-1 with Lowe starting on the right hand side. Coventry generally play with an extra man in midfield and have good players, so I think we will struggle if we try to play a 4-4-2. On current form, Wallace, Koumas and Jennings certainly all deserve to start.

Without wanting to tempt fate, this game does not look as difficult as it did a few weeks ago, as Cov have now lost both of their top scorers, Clarke (sold) and Wilson (injured). Coventry's away support has been good this season but I don't think they will bring anywhere near as many fans as Preston did a couple of weeks ago.

Our home form has to improve if we are to stay up and this is a match we need to win.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's hard to feel confident about this one, although a dip in the visitor's form provides some encouragement. I wouldn't expect any changes from the Bristol City line-up.

In terms of travelling support, because of the boycott of Sixfields, away games are treated like home ones and reckon they'll bring around 800-1000, in a crowd of around 5.5k. Score draw.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
This this will be a good open game of football. 2-2.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think we'll struggle. Our home form is poor. Ronnie's out of the picture. They are a good side. I hope I'm wrong!

This match may point the way things will go in the post-Moore era.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
if we win we are only 2 points behind them, they have lot several strikers they are not that good a team

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, I agree with Mart. We have probably got similar quality to Coventry in the centre of midfield now and arguably two better strikers. If we get our tactics right it is definitely a game we can take something from.

Player
Manager
John King
Well, I thoroughly enjoyed that. Fantastic performance from Rovers, by far our best at home this season. Other than a fifteen minute spell before half time, I thought we completely dominated and could easily have scored five or six. Midfield was the key area and our trio of Wallace, Koumas and Jennings were superb once again and seem to improve with every game they play together. The 'oles' in the second half were great.

Steve Jenning was my man of the match, a terrific performance protecting the back four, but Kennedy and Wallace were also outstanding. However, today was not really about individuals, more a great team performance where every player showed spirit and contributed. Mention should also be made of Fonners' treble save at the end of the first half with the score still at one-nil, a defining moment in the game.

The only negatives were Lowe's injury, which hopefully is not serious, and the sloppy goal we conceded at the end, which Coventry did not deserve. A number of the bottom sides won today, but we have reeled in some of the mid table teams and are only two points off thirteenth. Onwards and upwards.

Player
Nixon
what a game

really enjoyed it, ... fight,passion,flair

Take my hat off to all the players, excellent.

Also must mention a big thanks to a large amount travelling Cov fans who joined in the applause for Joe Thompson

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, what a game! Really enjoyable and an excellent performance from the team. Like RLC says, I think that's the best I've seen us at home this season. We were playing with the confidence you would expect to find from one of the top sides. We had complete control of that game and at 3-0 absolutely bossing it. Shame we stepped off the gas at 3-0, we could have had 4 or 5.

MOTM is a tough one but for me Wallace shaded it. He was excellent today, had a lot of the ball and showed some quality touches. Koumas is getting better with each game and I'm glad at this stage of the season we have someone with his quality on the middle. You won't get many better players in this division.

What I really enjoyed was our style, effort and confidence. We passed it around well, pushed up the field, didn't give Coventry any time on the ball and used the width to great effect. It also highlighted today what a good player Kennedy is. Good old fashioned winger. Tricky, quick and not afraid to take people on.

It's frustrating because we have some quality players yet we find ourselves in the bottom half of the table. We are at our best when the ball is on the floor. Midfield able to get hold of the ball, control the game..

Few more wins, we'll be sitting comfortably mid table. This season looks a lot brighter after today's showing.

Player
Manager
John King
It does make you wonder if today's outcome would have been the same with Ronnie in charge..

I think it would have been, yes. We played equally well at Bristol last week, with the same players and formation, but did not get the result we deserved. We have been steadily improving since Christmas and there is more quality and experience in the side now than there was in the first half of the season. It is not really fair at this stage to use today's game as yet another stick to beat Ronnie with - he put that team together let us not forget.

However, I would admit there seemed an extra competitive edge from certain players today, who may be concerned they are no longer guaranteed a place in the side. A change is as good as a rest sometimes and there was a definite freshness about today's performance.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Largely agree with the sentiments posted above. This was an enjoyable game in which the visitors played their part. Rovers looked more up for it than recently and took an early lead from a penalty. We were well on top until about 30 minutes, then Coventry got a grip. Were it not for a superb triple save from OFW approaching h/t, we could have gone in level. Instead a great free-kick from Koumas ended being turned in by Wallace according to the announcer; looked more like an og from the Paddock. We then had a spell of dominance with the ole football and Kennedy setting up Kirby for our third. Coventry pulled one back, but despite the generous 6 minutes extra time, we held on for a well-earned win.

Overall it was an excellent team performance, very strong in midfield and the defence tended to deal with the second ball much better. Areas of concern were the injury to Lowe, especially as Jake Cassidy had a poor game in comparison to Preston, after we'd hoped the goal at Bristol would spur him on. Cole didn't make much impact when he came on. Arthurworrey needs to work on getting more distance and direction to his headers.

MoM, you could make an argument for OFW, Wallace Jennings and Koumas amongst others, but I'd give it to Kennedy for his best showing since joining on loan.

I'm not sure we'd have won with Ronnie in charge and certainly not so comfortably. Whether this is a new manager bounce or something more long-lasting, only time will tell.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It is not really fair at this stage to use today's game as yet another stick to beat Ronnie with - he put that team together let us not forget.
I was playing devils advocate. I'd certainly agree, we have been improving since christmas.

Player
Manager
John King
In fairness to John McMahon, it is clear that the players respect him and are willing to play for him. With the events off the field this week it could have gone completely pear-shaped today, but he has come through his first test well and I am sure we all hope today's performance level can be sustained.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would totally agree with your comments on the game RLC, we played very well and deserved to win by a bigger margin, mom for me was also Jennings although Wallace & Koumas also had very good games. Hopefully we can do to the same agan next week.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Eton have recalled Kennedy bit of a blow for us

Player
Manager
John King
Eton have recalled Kennedy bit of a blow for us

Yes, particularly after his performance yesterday. Seems a strange decision unless Everton are thinking of sending him out to a Championship side.