• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Coventry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't know when Rovers last played Coventry in the league, certainly not in my footballing lifetime, but we did thrash them 5-1 in a League Cup tie about a decade ago. Having sacked ex-Rover Andy Thorn, just a few games into the season, the Sky Blues are currently interviewing a short-list of 9 for his replacement. Hopefully not sorted by the weekend, so we don't fall victim to new manager syndrome!

Two ex-Rovers in their current line-up. Joe Murphy former keeper and midfielder Steve Jennings. The latter's first return to PP, since his departure for Scotland, after he was on a week-to-week contract at the end of his time with Rovers, wonder what his reception will be like.

I'm not aware of any new injuries for us. An unchanged team is most likely, although I wonder if Ronnie might think about starting as we finished at Crewe, with McGurk replacing Bell-Baggie.

Prediction: Coventry support is dwindling, they have a more local midweek trip to Shrewsbury and a league cup tie with Arsenal coming up. I'm not expecting them to bring more than a thousand. The novelty value and Rovers good form may put a few on the home gate, but it will still be sub 6k.
On the pitch, Rovers should win this, but it will be tight.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Coventry haven't played at this level for 45 years, so I would imagine our last league meeting was in the fifties.

Coventry seem a bit of an enigma. Despite their off the field problems and the change of manager, they have a number of individuals you would consider above average at this level: Baker, McGoldrick, Kilbane, McSheffrey. You would think that at some stage they will put a run to the top six together, but they could turn out to be this season's Preston.

I think this game will be harder than it appears. Six points from the next two matches would really cement our position in the leading group, but it is never easy to get back to back home wins, even when playing with confidence as we are.

As an aside, I believe there will be a special guest in attendance on Saturday with both Rovers and Coventry connections (an easy one to guess).

drwhoman

COVENTRY

We played Coventry eight times in the League up to 1997 according to Gilbert Upson. What I vividly remember however was the FA Cup Fourth Round 17th February 1968 Coventry 1 Rovers 1 - scored by Alan King. I missed the replay on the 21st. Rovers won 2-0 with goals from the great George Yardley and George Hudson, a former Coventry player who had been signed for 25,000, a big fee in those days. Sadly, with injuries and one thing and another, he was not with Rovers very long. We then played Everton at Goodison, which I went to. We lost 2-0 with a young Joe Royle scoring one of the goals. Rovers were injury hit with no Yardley or Hudson. Ken Beamish played up front with Gerry Casey (I think) who was really a midfielder. The same season we had beaten Huddersfield (then an old First Division team) 2-1 at Prenton. Frank Worthington scored first for Huddersfield with Ken Beamish equalising. The winner came from a last minute Graham Williams curler from outside the area on the left wing. I was standing in the cow shed right behind him - I can still 'see' the ball curling into the net as I write this. A great Cup run!

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Its going to be a tough game this one and I think most people would have fancied Coventry to be up near the top of the league this season rather than struggling as they are. I have a bit of a bad feeling about this one mainly due to the fact that eventually both teams run of form will come to an end.
According to Tranmere Coventry had only sold 200 tickets however they may have a sudden rush on, I reckon close to 500 travelling up.

Hate to say it heart says 2-1 Rovers head says 2-0 Coventry.

I do love to be proved wrong though!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
We played Coventry eight times in the League up to 1997 according to Gilbert Upson. What I vividly remember however was the FA Cup Fourth Round 17th February 1968 Coventry 1 Rovers 1 - scored by Alan King. I missed the replay on the 21st. Rovers won 2-0 with goals from the great George Yardley and George Hudson, a former Coventry player who had been signed for 25,000, a big fee in those days. Sadly, with injuries and one thing and another, he was not with Rovers very long. We then played Everton at Goodison, which I went to. We lost 2-0 with a young Joe Royle scoring one of the goals. Rovers were injury hit with no Yardley or Hudson. Ken Beamish played up front with Gerry Casey (I think) who was really a midfielder. The same season we had beaten Huddersfield (then an old First Division team) 2-1 at Prenton. Frank Worthington scored first for Huddersfield with Ken Beamish equalising. The winner came from a last minute Graham Williams curler from outside the area on the left wing. I was standing in the cow shed right behind him - I can still 'see' the ball curling into the net as I write this. A great Cup run!
Your posts always bring back happy memories! I too was there at Highfield Road in 1967. Rovers were a goal down and under the cosh when Graham Williams broke away and crossed for Alan King to head in. A great result in the end. Unfortunately, just before the Everton game, George Yardley was seriously injured in a league match at Shrewsbury. He ended up losing a kidney and was never quite the same player again.

Moving on 45 years, we should be able to win this one. We are lucky that the Sky Blues are still in transition. They will be stronger as the season progresses. Same applies to the likes of Preston and Portsmouth, but unfortunately we won't meet them for a while.

M

Mal

Oh No! The curse of the Manager of the Month is about to hit us!

amplesou

Banned
Player
Dave Higgins
hope they (away fans) don,t whisle at our beauties...

+mm+pm=jeez ..why don,t people just leave us alone

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
There is no such thing as a curse, people should be happy with the awards.

Rovers to win 1 0

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Its going to be a tough game this one and I think most people would have fancied Coventry to be up near the top of the league this season rather than struggling as they are. I have a bit of a bad feeling about this one mainly due to the fact that eventually both teams run of form will come to an end.
According to Tranmere Coventry had only sold 200 tickets however they may have a sudden rush on, I reckon close to 500 travelling up.

Hate to say it heart says 2-1 Rovers head says 2-0 Coventry.

I do love to be proved wrong though!

Crikkey, someone more pessimistic than me :shock:
The likely away turnout is going to be very disappointing for a side who were in the top flight not that long ago.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I would imagine most of their fans will pay on the gate. I would still expect them to bring 800 - 1,000 as they had about 1,500 at Crewe a couple of weeks ago.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Looking forward to a good game, but I think it'll be a tough one. 1-0 whites

Status
Not open for further replies.