• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Colchester

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
My impression is that the Palioi have decided to stick with Keith Hill and he has no intention of leaving at this point, so we'll have to live with that and re-assess at the end of the play-offs.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't think a poll created by a disgruntled twitterati, limited to twitterati and distributed largely amongst his network of probably-like-minded twitterati, can really be considered random or representative.

It's certainly the case that Mr Hill isn't universally popular, and I doubt anyone's satisfied with how we ended the season, though we don't need Twitter polls to tell us any of that.
I referred also to the Cowsheds poll, which covers a wide cross section of our supporters, and that was even more unanimous than the Twitter one.

And I still don't see any reason why a poll of people registered on Twitter - who after all, are real people and just ordinary supporters - would not be representative when it extends to several hundred people. I recognise many of the Tranmere supporters with Twitter accounts, and they are regulars who go home and away.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
None of us know the contract small print but allegedly Keith will automatically get another year if he takes us up. And to be fair it would be job done as far as he’s concerned. He may not be popular even with Palios especially after the demotion comments he made yesterday, but if he gets us up no matter how unattractive it may be, he will have achieved what he was brought in to do.
I agree, but I still think there are concerns regarding recruitment, playing style and long term form that have to be considered.

But all of that is for Palios to ponder.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
None of us know the contract small print but allegedly Keith will automatically get another year if he takes us up. And to be fair it would be job done as far as he’s concerned. He may not be popular even with Palios especially after the demotion comments he made yesterday, but if he gets us up no matter how unattractive it may be, he will have achieved what he was brought in to do.
Mark said at the time of the appointment that if we get promoted then the contract is automatically extended by a year.

Player
Manager
John King
Mark said at the time of the appointment that if we get promoted then the contract is automatically extended by a year.
Is that actually in his contract though, or is it just a verbal promise ? I don't think anybody really knows.

And I still don't see any reason why a poll of people registered on Twitter - who after all, are real people and just ordinary supporters - would not be representative when it extends to several hundred people. I recognise many of the Tranmere supporters with Twitter accounts, and they are regulars who go home and away.
Because of issues related to reach. Plenty of articles out there explaining more about the statistical insignificance of twitter polls.

I go home and away and never saw this poll. We could even run a poll amongst all those Twitter folk you recognise from home and away to see if they received this poll!

Either way, in the grand scheme of things it has little more than gossip value and doesn't tell us anything we wouldn't have expected anyway. If they'd run a similar poll on the day Hill was appointed they'd have probably got a similar result, so I doubt the Palii are bothered about it.

Player
Manager
John King
Because of issues related to reach. Plenty of articles out there explaining more about the statistical insignificance of twitter polls.

I go home and away and never saw this poll. We could even run a poll amongst all those Twitter folk you recognise from home and away to see if they received this poll!

Either way, in the grand scheme of things it has little more than gossip value and doesn't tell us anything we wouldn't have expected anyway. If they'd run a similar poll on the day Hill was appointed they'd have probably got a similar result, so I doubt the Palii are bothered about it.
I did not see 270 people on Twitter issuing abuse to Keith Hill when he was appointed, but perhaps you saw something I did not. It was a minority that acted aggressively when he arrived.

But in any case, even if some of those who did not want Hill in the first place still don't want him, so what ? It was not a particularly popular appointment, and recent surveys suggest that it still is not.

I can't confirm whether the Tranmere Twitter account holders I know and recognise voted in the poll, but I can confirm that from their comments none of them want Hill !

I commented specifically on the Cowsheds poll, which was even more unanimous than the Twitter one. I doubt everybody on that site is a Russian bot, rather than a Tranmere supporter of varying ages, backgrounds and attitudes. It is the largest and most representative forum, and I think the polls on that site do tell us a lot about supporter opinion more widely.

Last edited:
You say the Cowsheds "covers a wide cross section of our supporters", I've heard others say rather differently.

I've never been on it, so don't know. Which trumps your best guess about why I didn't respond to the point you're still labouring.

Regardless, their worth is gossip value, nothing more.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
You say the Cowsheds "covers a wide cross section of our supporters", I've heard others say rather differently.

I've never been on it, so don't know. Which trumps your best guess about why I didn't respond to the point you're still labouring.

Regardless of peoples take on such polls its fairly clear hes not very popular amongst a number of fans.

Its all pretty academic as he won't be manager next season

Player
Manager
John King

If you have never been on the site, you are not really in a position to contradict me.

It has a large membership, and posters of a variety of backgrounds and attitudes.

Any population sample is limited, but they still tell us something (eg. opinion polling). I think it is highly unlikely, given that 80% of respondents on the biggest Tranmere forum don't want Hill, that a majority of the 5,000 in fact do want him as manager.

Player
aldo
I am also on the cowsheds forum and yes its overwhelmingly against Hill, the next interview will be interesting to see if he has his normal go at the fans as he always has a dig somewhere

If you have never been on the site, you are not really in a position to contradict me.

It has a large membership, and posters of a variety of backgrounds and attitudes.

Any population sample is limited, but they still tell us something (eg. opinion polling). I think it is highly unlikely, given that 80% of respondents on the biggest Tranmere forum don't want Hill, that a majority of the 5,000 in fact do want him as manager.
?

My posts are about the Twitter poll. I know nothing about the cowshed poll, have no interest in it, have not commented on it and therefore naturally haven't contradicted anything you've said about it.

But nor does it somehow enhance or validate the credibility of the Twitter poll, beyond gossip value.

Player
Manager
John King
We will have to agree to disagree.

All I was ever trying to say is that Hill is unpopular with many (a majority ?) of our supporters.

Player
aldo
It's the worst atmosphere leading up to the biggest game of the year, you just know it will be a horrible night at PP if things don't go right, can see it getting toxic very fast if the play is shit

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Polls, forums and twitter aside, I have spoke to quite a lot of Tranmere fans and they are vehemently against Hill for one reason or another. I think it is probably fair to say the majority are against him. In fact, I don't think I recall anyone telling me they want him to stay! :oops:

Player
aldo
it is just mad you think of the day he took over after seeing a confident team winning 5-0 and having won 5 on the bounce then winning a few more, then you see it now ok without Vaughn but generally the same team but with no confidence and a fan base at war with a manager they don't want,