• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Cobblers

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Northampton Town

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Cobblers
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, October 23, 2021 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, October 23, 2021 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Has Glatzel got any pace ? could he play at 9 ? He probably hasn't got the strength to hold up the ball like Nevitt does so well , but if he has pace ........ maybe worth a cameo until Hawkes is back.
No and no in a nutshell

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
This game could well be what we have to get used to for the next 2 months. We have relied on a 39 year old centre back to score from set pieces as we create very little clear cut chances, and when we do there is no striker there to finish them off.

Micky has set his stall out to try not to concede. and hopefully sneak something from a set play, and that is not a strategy that is conducive to entertaining football. I dont mind losing games, but that was completely impotent performance.

Negative tactics, the lack of positive substitutions and an old team could lead to a very hard to watch couple of months!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
This game could well be what we have to get used to for the next 2 months. We have relied on a 39 year old centre back to score from set pieces as we create very little clear cut chances, and when we do there is no striker there to finish them off.

Micky has set his stall out to try not to concede. and hopefully sneak something from a set play, and that is not a strategy that is conducive to entertaining football. I dont mind losing games, but that was completely impotent performance.

Negative tactics, the lack of positive substitutions and an old team could lead to a very hard to watch couple of months!
We created numerous chances over the last 4 or 5 games.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Numerous might be stretching it a bit, but even on Saturday we created some opportunities, which if they'd been attacked the right way could have resulted in chances and potentially goals.

Player
ian goodison
correct me if I am wrong but isn,t merrie on a 2yr contract ? if so seems strange him not getting a look in I like foley but he looked knackered from the start on saturday

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
correct me if I am wrong but isn,t merrie on a 2yr contract ? if so seems strange him not getting a look in I like foley but he looked knackered from the start on saturday
He is, as is Watson and neither getting a start at present. Watson I can understand as he's disappointed a bit, but think Merrie's been unfortunate and looked fairly decent whenever I've seen.

Arguably the best time to change a side is when you're on a winning run. Foley did look jaded on Saturday and he wasn't the only one.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The primary role of forwards is to score goals. Neither Nevitt or the other attacking players have been any where near prolific so far and I don’t accept that we should accept an under-performing attack on the basis someone else will score. That didn’t happen v Northampton.

I would also suggest that it doesn’t appear right that Nevitt is getting a start every game, when not delivering, whereas the likes of Merrie Walker and Watson aren’t getting much or any chance to play.
You had better tell that to Jim Steel or Chris Malkin.

It does not matter who scores the goals, as long as we score more than the opposition, which we had been doing for weeks prior to Saturday.

The goals have been shared throughout the team, so an individual does not need to be 'prolific'. Cheltenham's top scorer got nine goals last season, and they were champions......

Nevitt has been delivering. He is there to contribute to the team as a whole, which he does. We could not have operated effectively in the last two months without him.

Player
Manager
John King

The tactics have not been negative, and we have not failed to create chances in the last ten games.

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
We created numerous chances over the last 4 or 5 games.
Numerous may be somewhat generous. Now that we are conceding goals it emphasises the ineptness at the other end of the pitch.

Maynard was heralded as our 'marquee signing', someone who knew where the back of the net is, yet he doesnt get a look in.

I hope that this game was just a blip, however I go to watch football to be entertained, not to watch a team set itself up to try not to concede and hope to score from a set piece.

Some of our play in the last few games has been decent, up until the final third, (Crawley was a perfect example, Foley ending up in great positions, but was found completely lacking in ability and unable to finish).

Goals win games and entertain the fans!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I generally agree with this regarding the entertainment factor however the last few weeks prior to Saturday have been entertaining and enjoyable to watch.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Numerous may be somewhat generous. Now that we are conceding goals it emphasises the ineptness at the other end of the pitch.

Maynard was heralded as our 'marquee signing', someone who knew where the back of the net is, yet he doesnt get a look in.

I hope that this game was just a blip, however I go to watch football to be entertained, not to watch a team set itself up to try not to concede and hope to score from a set piece.

Some of our play in the last few games has been decent, up until the final third, (Crawley was a perfect example, Foley ending up in great positions, but was found completely lacking in ability and unable to finish).

I agree with much of what you say, although I didn't see Maynard as a marquee signing, just the best we could afford at the end of the transfer window. At the time, I though Macmanaman was a marquee signing but we seem to have some other really good players - but not up front.

I agree that the last game might be considered a blip. What went wrong? Did Northampton work us out and spoil our tactics? Did too many players have a bad game? Did the whole team play badly? I suspect it may have been a mixture of all three. How many times in the past do you think one of Micky's teams has gone on an unbeaten run and then lost unexpectedly? He will know exactly what to do to make the necessary tweaks, restore morale and fire them up. I am sure that by now every other manager knows how we play, but Micky will have studied every other team too. I expect us to bounce back - until the next blip occurs. ;)

Player
Manager
John King
The football has been very good to watch since the Salford game. I would say the Salford, Colchester and Harrogate games were as entertaining as any in recent seasons. There is nothing negative about the way we are playing.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

Colchester Harrogate and Salford games we created plenty of chances and we're entertaining games