• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Cobblers

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Northampton Town

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Cobblers
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, October 23, 2021 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, October 23, 2021 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Next up for rovers is the visit of Northampton Town. The cobblers have won their last two including a 3-0 home win v Stevenage on Tuesday. Ex rover Paul Lewis has been regularly featuring in their side but Sid Nelson is out with a long term injury.

The visitors sit just one point and one place behind rovers.

Assuming no injuries I would expect the same eleven however if Hawkes is out then expect Feeney to come in who has looked sharp in recent sub appearances.

With such a strong squad Micky may be tempted to freshen things up a bit but I can’t see any changes unless enforced.

Prediction: a close one, but rovers to edge it.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Yes, any win would be a good one against what currently appear to be a close rival. Would take a 1-0.

Player
aldo
just wonder how long we can go with no goals upfront, would they give Maynard a game or 2 to see, Nevitt needs to start getting goals, love his hard work and chasing down but we need goals to

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
As long as Hawkes is fit I fully expect an unchanged team, will be a tough game but think we will just win 2 1

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In addition to Lewis, Northampton have a few other decent players, including Danny Rose and Sam Hoskins.

I agree with Mart that we will be unchanged, provided Hawkes is fit. If not, I would expect Liam Feeney, who was impressive when he came off the bench on Tuesday night, to replace him.

Any kind of victory would be a good result, and would probably take us into the automatic promotion places. We have already sold over 5,000 tickets and are heading for another 7k gate.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Walker is playing tomorrow night for Middlesbrough u23s so won't be involved Saturday

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The Cobblers replaced Rovers in the demotion season, scraping into and winning the play-offs. They didn't stay up, but Aussie caretaker boss Jon Brady was given the job full-time and so far this season seems to be doing well. Like Rovers, they play with 1 up front, Spurs loanee Kion Etete, who hasn't been prolific so far, with most of their goals coming from elsewhere on the park.

Don't know if there are any updates on Hawkes' fitness. It would be a significant blow if he were to miss out given his contribution to date. Feeney is more patchy, while Walker is out of the picture. Given the chance, expect Micky will play the same side as at Harrogate. Does complacency start to set in, where it's the same line-up game after game? Hopefully not.

It looks like another decent turnout at PP this weekend. Think this is one where the visitors will take a share of the spoils.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think from memory the season they went up replacing us in L1 saw Ryan Watson score for them in their Wembley play off win.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I hope Hawkes is fit as he's been excellent but tend to agree with Boz regarding Feeney who can be a bit hit and miss although not a bad player to have waiting in the wings I suppose. I think this will be a real tough test for Rovers as the visitors come to PP bouncing after two solid wins scoring five and keeping a clean sheet in both games. Rose and Hoskins can be tricky customers and their two centre backs Guthrie and Horsfall can also chip in with goals so we'll have to be on the ball defensively.

I do however think we will be too strong for them and will come out of this battle with three points. Close 2-1 with Nevitt hitting the winner.

drwhoman

I see Walker I’d back playing for Middlesbrough under 21s on Friday night. A good idea if he is not getting game time with us. Similar to Glatzel playing at Liverpool.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
From what he’s shown in the Pizza Cup games, Walker could do a job for us, he differs from Glatzel in that respect. Get the impression there’s some truth in the rumours that he failed the attitude test.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Good article on Peter Clarke in today’s Metro. Although a Liverpool fan, he came to Rovers Friday night games as a kid.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I see Walker I’d back playing for Middlesbrough under 21s on Friday night. A good idea if he is not getting game time with us. Similar to Glatzel playing at Liverpool.
Yes I loved MM's tongue in cheek comments - he is supposedly going all the way to Borough to watch Walker play tonight - he also supposedly watched Glatzel play last Saturday at the same time he was in the dugout at Carlisle.....

ADD

Player
Norwood
From what he’s shown in the Pizza Cup games, Walker could do a job for us, he differs from Glatzel in that respect. Get the impression there’s some truth in the rumours that he failed the attitude test.
Totally agree re Walker Boz - I am surprised he hasn't figured more. However I think Glatzel could have also done a job for us but only at CF not as he was tried out wide... but MM has gone for only one up top which is working so I am sure he will leave in January.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think Glatzel would have failed as a CF too as I just don't think he has the physical attributes to cope with the rough and tough of the lower leagues. I think he needs to play at an even lower level and work his way up for more experience and it might toughen him up in the process.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Glatzel has played as an inside forward in a front three and a number ten, not on the wing. They are positions he will have played many times at Liverpool, and tactics don't explain his failure to make an impact here.

I agree with Boz that Walker has looked the more impressive of the two.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Totally agree re Walker Boz - I am surprised he hasn't figured more. However I think Glatzel could have also done a job for us but only at CF not as he was tried out wide... but MM has gone for only one up top which is working so I am sure he will leave in January.
We play with 1 centre forward, there is no way Glatzel can play that role and we certainly shouldn't change the system to accommodate him.

Outoftowner

Player
Chris Merrie
Manager
Micky Mellon
Walker is playing tomorrow night for Middlesbrough u23s so won't be involved Saturday
The lad needs game time and both him and Merrie are not even making the bench and both need mins on the pitch.
My view is Mickey should at least be giving these lads a chance - particularly as we are not exactly a goal scoring machine at present !