• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v carlisle

Match result

• Rovers

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Carlisle

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v carlisle
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, April 2, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 2, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The ref should have booked 1 their players early on for late challenge on Morris when he gave us the advantage as we were on the attack.
The Morris red won't likely be overturned as it will be considered endangering the safety of an opponent even though it wasn't.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The Morris suspension is a huge blow. We looked so much better with him in the side today, and there is quite a drop off in quality to McPake. Perhaps not in talent, but in consistency and influence.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I was bitterly disappointed after the defeat at Colchester but more sanguine today. OK, I wasn’t there but it sounded like the lads played well and gave their all, only to be robbed by an incompetent referee. Although two home points were dropped and we will lose two key players for most of the remaining games, I have a feeling today’s experience will only bring the squad even closer and make them more determined. We’ll see.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Game largely .determined by the referee and his inconsistent approach to incidents. I have seen the Macdonald red on clips at h/t and not sure. Morris red was for a challenge which didn't look as bad as the one when Merrie was caught in the head, but no red card there.

I thought Rovers started slowly and the goal at that point was against the run of play. but excellent build up and a class finish by Hemmings. Up until the first red card we were on top. When we were down to ten men, in the second half, it was more of a struggle, but we still had a few chances, one superbly finished by Nevitt. There was a tendency to welly the ball out for a goal-kick towards the end of the match, whereas balls aimed towards the touchline might have gone for throw-ins enabling us to keep the ball down that end. Unsure that replacing Hemmings with NKP near the end worked and couldn't work out if we'd gone to a back three or he was left-back and Merrie pushed forward. Devasting to concede at the death.

MoM probably Hemmings, who had his best game in a Rovers shirt, but Nevitt was very good too.

In terms of a hostile atmosphere, Simpson needs to look at his own players and staff. There was a hysterical over-reaction when Macdonald went to check on the player he'd tackled, who contrary to first appearances was not fatally injured. While much of the chaos was down to the inept official, Carlisle played their part.

Big issues ahead if we're missing Macdonald and Morris for 4 and 3 games respectively. Merrie defends like a midfielder and it's asking a lot against some of the form teams we face next. Morris showed what we'd been missing today. I also felt Spearing looked very ring-rusty. Difficult decisions for MM and a challenge to lift the players after the way it ended. I'm feeling emotionally drained just from watching the game!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
In terms of a hostile atmosphere, Simpson needs to look at his own players and staff. There was a hysterical over-reaction when Macdonald went to check on the player he'd tackled, who contrary to first appearances was not fatally injured. While much of the chaos was down to the inept official, Carlisle played their part.
Most definately Boz. I wish they would cut out all of this nonsense where you see players sprinting towards the referee and crowding around him. A weak referee would be intimidated by this like we saw today. I see Mellor made a spectacular recovery from such a horror tackle though :rolleyes:

Trying to get players sent off, it's a sad state of the game.

Agree about Spearing. We really need him up to get up to speed now that we have suspensions to contend with. I know he's been out for a while but we only have six games to go!

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
I have to Agree I look at the Rugby and only the Captains can talk to the Ref,and it should be the same in Football. end of nothing else only the Captains should talk to ref thats it also sinbins should be introduced 10 mins for a yellow now that would be fun

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I’ve now seen the highlights on Quest. Sam Parkin reckons McDonald’s red was harsh. It looked bad but he simply slipped. The reaction of the player and his colleagues probably fooled the ref. As Boz implies, if the player had got up straightaway, as he could have done, the game would not have boiled over. Sam reckons Morris’s foot up was unintentionally dangerous, so he was unlucky. All you want from a ref is consistency, which makes for fairness. We got a rough deal from the ref and also Lady Luck today.
A massive game against the Pirates coming up net Saturday, by which time we may be outside even the playoffs. A win however would move us back up there.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
but they are really flying its going to take something magnificent for us to beat them and i hope we do i am so happy for the two lads up top let us hope they get a few more from now on in

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Just watched the goals again and Sendings off.

McDonald’s was harsh but I’m not sure it’ll be rescinded. He won the ball but his follow through was quite high. Not deliberate probably but players do get sent off these days for a follow through if it is deemed reckless or dangerous

Their first equaliser. Really shocking defending to allow Patrick to get into a shooting position from where he first got the ball.

The second sending off - no way will that be rescinded. Yes Morris was fouled and didn’t know he was there but it doesn’t have to be deliberate, if you put your boot that high it is classed as risky and dangerous play.

Not saying I agree with the red cards but I’ll be amazed if either is turned over on any appeal

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

McDonald’s was harsh but I’m not sure it’ll be rescinded. He won the ball but his follow through was quite high. Not deliberate probably but players do get sent off these days for a follow through if it is deemed reckless or dangerous

Their first equaliser. Really shocking defending to allow Patrick to get into a shooting position from where he first got the ball.

The second sending off - no way will that be rescinded. Yes Morris was fouled and didn’t know he was there but it doesn’t have to be deliberate, if you put your boot that high it is classed as risky and dangerous play.

Not saying I agree with the red cards but I’ll be amazed if either is turned over on any appeal
Yeah I agree, Macdonald was very silly going that hard into a challenge especially around half way and Morris challenge will be considered endangering the safety of a player.

Also we will get another fine for failing to control our players.

Have to say our discipline this season has been pretty poor.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
As much as I love mickey I remember his time at Shrewsbury saw them have have a shocking disciplinary record. McDonald might have slipped after the tackle and followed through but it did look a bit high

Boz

Player
Iain Hume

I'm still not sure about the Macdonald decision and the fact the ref took nearly a minute to show the red card suggests either he wasn't either...or that he was totally clueless. However I agree that it's not a clearly wrong decision and won't be overturned should Rovers appeal.

About ten minutes before the Morris red card, Chris Merrie was caught in the head with a high boot, where the Carlisle player had a much clearer view of the opponent than Kieron did and all we got was a free-kick; their lad didn't even get cautioned. I can live with a referee being hard on high boots making contact IF it's applied evenly to both teams. Had their player been sent off, Kieron might have been more wary about going for that ball. How often do you see a red card for a high boot? Again we won't win an appeal, but I do feel very bitter about the inconsistency.

Player
Manager
John King
I would say they were both 'orange' challenges, and a sensible referee would have simply booked the players in both incidents as there was no malicious intent. However, I agree neither decision will be overturned, and we probably won't even appeal them.

Reactions: Ian

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It's going to be interesting how we line up now, Merrie is not a natural left back and Maguire is well out of the frame.
I wouldn't be surprised if we went 5 3 2

Player
Manager
John King
I'm still not sure about the Macdonald decision and the fact the ref took nearly a minute to show the red card suggests either he wasn't either...or that he was totally clueless. However I agree that it's not a clearly wrong decision and won't be overturned should Rovers appeal.

About ten minutes before the Morris red card, Chris Merrie was caught in the head with a high boot, where the Carlisle player had a much clearer view of the opponent than Kieron did and all we got was a free-kick; their lad didn't even get cautioned. I can live with a referee being hard on high boots making contact IF it's applied evenly to both teams. Had their player been sent off, Kieron might have been more wary about going for that ball. How often do you see a red card for a high boot? Again we won't win an appeal, but I do feel very bitter about the inconsistency.
Morris was also scythed down in the first minute, a challenge that went unpunished. Play was correctly allowed to continue, as we had an advantage, but the referee did not then go back and book their player, despite it being an obvious yellow card offence.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Morris was also scythed down in the first minute, a challenge that went unpunished. Play was correctly allowed to continue, as we had an advantage, but the referee did not then go back and book their player, despite it being an obvious yellow card offence.
I think that probably led to the problems later. A good referee would have at least talked to their player, but it made players think that sort of tackle was ok. When Calum got sent off after Carlisle overreacted, things boiled over. Morris looked genuinely shocked and upset with the ref after being sent off. After what happened in the first minute, I’m not surprised.

drwhoman

Very disappointing and there was clearly a lot of controversy surrounding the sending offs. That said, is there any pattern of our conceding last gasp goals recently? This could be very damaging in the end outcome.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Very disappointing and there was clearly a lot of controversy surrounding the sending offs. That said, is there any pattern of our conceding last gasp goals recently? This could be very damaging in the end outcome.
3 points dropped the last 2 games with goals in 95th and 97th minute are likely be damaging

Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Was just listening to trip to the moon podcast and a few interesting points raised.

In the last ten games we’ve conceded 7 goals in the 85th minute or later. Dropping 7 points in total which if we hadn’t we’d be second.

Some talk of whether Clarke gets too worked up at times. I actually noticed that when we went 2-1 up, after he celebrated at the kop he walked back to the halfway line and was clearly doing some big claps and pointing at their fans who presumably had been giving him some stick. He should have left that to full time if we’d won the game.

Obviously they’ll be financial implications as it’s an automatic fine for 5 yellow cards, never mind two reds