• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Carlisle

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Carlisle

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Carlisle
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, November 24, 2020 - 07:00 PM
Until: Tuesday, November 24, 2020 - 09:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
loved Hills Kingy esq quote in getting the job. No major changes needed - just a bit of salt and pepper!
I loved listening to his first post-match interview. Honest and devoid of cliche. Modest and giving credit to Dawes and Parky. Resisting the temptation to make his mark by tinkering with a winning formula yet giving you confidence that he has the experience and the balls to take tough decisions when required. The most engaging manager since Les Parry. Welcome to Tranmere, Keith.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Indeed BBTC. He probably feels a bit awkward coming into a job when things were going well and admitted that if we lose a game then the blame could be at his door. Agree he came across well and it makes you wonder why weren’t other bigger names interested.

how often does a new manager come in to a team winning games and playing well? And financially in a decent position with a good prospect of promotion?

Anyhow onwards and uowards

ADD

Player
Norwood
The commentary is actually spoiling my enjoyment of the games now. It was incredibly tense in that second half, but instead of capturing the mood of the match they wittered on with endless trivia.

They need to learn that less is more.
100% agree... drives me to distraction.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I think we still had more genuine chances if you consider Vaughan's two headers and CBT's goal that was not. The possession stats were 70 - 30 in our favour at times, which is pretty remarkable against strong opposition.

From Hill's comments, I don't think there will be wholesale changes on Friday. I would rest a couple of players but I think the core of the side needs to start to avoid a disjointed display and another Oxford City. Then take players off at half time if we are winning comfortably.
I never said we didn't have the better chances just that by contrast with recent games we didn't have the majority... we also blocked so many shots in an excellent defensive performance. Re possession stats they were 65/35 but yes amazingly at half time it was 75-25 which is unreal against such a good side.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Yes I expect some of the older players especially those in the spine will be given the night off, especially with a game next Tuesday.

loved Hills Kingy esq quote in getting the job. No major changes needed - just a bit of salt and pepper!
Yes, I liked that quote plus his earlier one about microwave football !

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's an unusual situation for a new manager to take over an in form team, so it was good that Keith got off to a winning start. Very measured post-match interview.

One valid point which the commentary team did make was about the way in which Carlisle closed down the other defenders more than Monthe, as he was more likely to surrender possession with his distribution. MacDonald having the option of passing it to Manny or try knocking it past the closing players usually opted for the former. I thought Calum had a quieter game than usual, though he did deliver a great ball to CBT for the goal that wasn't. Don't think that I'd be looking to change the defence, who were generally solid, but something to work on

Player
Manager
John King
Manny's distribution does need to improve though. There were a couple of occasions where he gifted Carlisle possession and left us exposed, whereas in general play they rarely broke us down.

He tries too many dangerous thirty and forty yard passes down the middle of the pitch when he would be better laying it off to the fullback. He has not got the technique for those ambitious balls.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree to an extent about Manny, but in the Carlisle game, if he passed to MacDonald for the most part he'd get it back if Calum wasn't dispossessed, due to their closing down on the left-back position. The attempted long passes kept the ball out of the danger area though at the cost of surrendering possession.

Despite his weaknesses in distribution, we are a weaker side defensively without Manny due to a lack of pace and he's probably the physically strongest of our defenders.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, I agree he defended well last night and I am not suggesting we should drop him.

Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think monthes yellow card in the second half came from manny dwelling on the ball or playing a poor pass.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't think this will improve with Manny. He's a good solid lower league defender. He will become a bit more exposed in this system with his passing game but he is still a rock at the back when it comes to clearing the ball and getting it out of the danger zone.

Clarke has probably been my most impressive performer at the back. For his age, he's strong, fairly quick, good header of the ball, can score goals and can pass it well from the back. Excellent player to have in the team.

drwhoman

I don't think this will improve with Manny. He's a good solid lower league defender. He will become a bit more exposed in this system with his passing game but he is still a rock at the back when it comes to clearing the ball and getting it out of the danger zone.

Clarke has probably been my most impressive performer at the back. For his age, he's strong, fairly quick, good header of the ball, can score goals and can pass it well from the back. Excellent player to have in the team.
If Keith Hill is thinking about tweaking things then he will probably work on Manny's distribution by either trying to improve him as a player or to identify how the team can 'work around' the perceived weakness. It will be interesting to see what Keith does do improve an already promising situation. He is clearly far too smart to be heavy handed. Why would you be?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, Hill did talk about making small changes here and there so hopefully we will see an even better Rovers. Afterall, that's what you pay the big bucks for!

Player
Manager
John King
Clarke and Vaughan have probably been our most consistent players this season. They have both been outstanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Clarke spoke very well after the game. Given his experience could easily see him going into coaching or management

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
That CBT disallowed goal looked good to me from this clip. The goalie is facing the goal, his right shoulder is on the goal line and he reaches behind the line to bring the ball out. However, without technology, it's difficult to give.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Nice footage. I'm not convinced. Looks like he just saved it from going over. One thing I do know, that shot was like a bullet! :oops: and there was certainly no saving the second one. Wow!

ADD

Player
Norwood
Nice footage. I'm not convinced. Looks like he just saved it from going over. One thing I do know, that shot was like a bullet! :oops: and there was certainly no saving the second one. Wow!
Impossible to tell if it went in even from that angle - the Keeper's immediate reaction suggested he thought it had but it happened so quickly even he might not have known for sure if the whole of the ball had gone over the line.
Put it another way if the goal had been given against us I would have felt aggrieved.

ADD

Player
Norwood

Fair point Ian - to me Manny's issue is his complete inability to use his wrong foot. Makes it so much easier for those trying to press him into an error. That said he does a great job on one and ones and I am sure is benefitting from Clarke's advice.

Player
aldo
have to say Cory looks well up for it at the moment and long may it go on for. and he is starting to score goals as well