• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Carlisle

Rovers v Carlisle
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, March 30, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 30, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
my MoM was Jake Caprice, some excellent attacking work, topped by the assist for Norwood's goal and he was at times the sole outlet for moving the ball forward in the first half, along with tidy defensive work.
From the start of season, he has to be the "most improved" player.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I'm also concerned about Pringle being out of favour, if it means Jennings being played on the left-wing and Norwood a lone striker.
Norwood has played as a lone striker in a 451 for three or four matches now and it has not adversely affected us. Pringle was playing on the right and cutting inside on to his left foot; today, Morris took that role. Jennings has been back on the left hand side since Banks came back into the team.

I agree about McCullough and still have reservations about Harris, who is not in the same class. McCullough is more disciplined and reads the game better and we will miss him against sides like MK Dons and Bury if he is unavailable.

I did not see any major tactical changes in the second half. I think we just passed the ball better and after our second goal Carlisle switched from a 532 to 442, which gave us more space to play in.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’ve not been overly impressed with Pringle but he has been a part of our winning run. Although he’s technically gifted he’s pretty slow for a winger and we lack pace on the other side when CJ plays on the other flank. Given Jennings is a nailed on starter that means smith, Pringle and Morris are all after one spot, never mind Tollit.

I thought Morris ok today but nothing special. Although he is just back from an injury. Thought banks looked tired late on but again he’s been injured. The loss of McCullough could be a real blow. That said, Harris did well and if we have Perkins and banks in there with him then it may work out ok.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
They key about Pringle is that he keeps possession. Having Perkins, Pringle and Morris in the side (plus Banks of course) allows us to control games far better than we were a couple of months ago, which as well as helping us creatively, has relieved a lot of the pressure on the back four and contributed to our excellent defensive record.

Playing in Pringle's position is not all about pace. A pacier winger like Smith can beat a full back, but he also gives the ball away far more, which means we turn possession over more quickly and lose control in midfield.

Pringle and Morris are much better players than Smith and certainly Tollitt in my view, although I do like Smith.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Perkins is like a fine wine, he gets better with age. Superb player to have in the midfield. His attitude is also spot on, he's a winner and you'll get that performance week in, week out. We have a lot of very consistent performers in the side now and that's reflected in the results. It's a bit of a rollercoaster at the moment and loving every minute of it. My weekly alcohol intake has also increased! :oops:

Another clean sheet, three goals, Norwood on 29 for the season, fantastic attendance, three points, fifth in the league and seven wins on the bounce. Keep the rollercoaster running! SWA!!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Norwood has played as a lone striker in a 451 for three or four matches now and it has not adversely affected us. Pringle was playing on the right and cutting inside on to his left foot; today, Morris took that role. Jennings has been back on the left hand side since Banks came back into the team.

I agree about McCullough and still have reservations about Harris, who is not in the same class. McCullough is more disciplined and reads the game better and we will miss him against sides like MK Dons and Bury if he is unavailable.

I did not see any major tactical changes in the second half. I think we just passed the ball better and after our second goal Carlisle switched from a 532 to 442, which gave us more space to play in.
Thanks RLC. My last game before this was the home win v Notts County and a lot happened since, including the formation change, which has recently worked well. 1 up front doesn't always work and there were some early difficulties in this game, though they resolved as the game went on.

Pringle's strength is he doesn't give the ball away easily. I don't think he's ever been that fast. Morris works hard, he did ok coming back from injury, but more prone to running the ball into dead ends and getting dispossessed.

Banks was a bit of a mixed bag yesterday, some great attacking balls and the goal, but he was too casual at times and failed to make the most of some balls directed his way, yesterday.

Finally, Micky's reluctance to give Mullin/Dagnall any game time continues to puzzle. With us winning comfortably, feel it would have been more valuable to introduce one of them rather than Gilmour.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy