• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Carlisle

Rovers v Carlisle
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, March 30, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 30, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Carlisle looked a decent side when we played them in September and were unlucky to lose that day. They have got some good individuals like Anthony Gerrard and Hallam Hope, but I am still slightly surprised they are in the promotion picture, as they did not seem to have much bite in the final third (hopefully not famous last words).

I guess we will be unchanged, and I think the gate will be close to the 7,800 for the Crewe game. Carlisle travel well and are likely to bring over 1,000 fans for this match, which is probably the last chance saloon for their own play off hopes.

If we win, we will be between seven and nine points clear of eighth position with a game in hand on some below us, and a play off place would be almost secure. With Mansfield away to Exeter and MK Dons at FGR, victory could also be hugely significant for our automatic hopes.

I just hope the train keeps a rollin' and we are still in buoyant mood at Oldham on Tuesday night.

Last edited:
Player
Norwood
I don't want to tempt fate, but I fancy us to bag a few goals tomorrow, with a Nors hat trick, though I think they may nick one also.
3-1
I hope!

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
It seems an eternity since our last home game and the tent has been calling me all week!
As Boz says, Carlisle have caused us problems at home in recent years.
Who can forget that penalty shoot out!
Whilst their form has dipped, they're no mugs and I can't see us winning at a canter.
But we've shown that we can grind teams down and I expect a win with perhaps the scoreline not doing us justice.
A few months back I was looking at our run in and thinking we'd need some points in the bank to avoid the jitters.
Fast forward and there's only the Imps game that I think we'll come unstuck.
Who'd ever have believed, eight games to go, auto would be in our hands.
Talking of run ins, MK's is pretty rough as well.
Next few weeks will be the proverbial rollercoaster.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
With teams in third to eighth all playing one of their rivals, any team not winning is likely to lose ground. So we need the run to continue for as long as possible. Meanwhile, I expect Lincoln and Bury to continue to secure the top two slots.

Player
aldo
morning peeps its match day as of last night 6350 tickets sold . lets have fun raw the boys on . then on to tuesday . with 1700 already sold its looking like a 2k away day . amazing from the white army . best support in the land bye a country mile

Player
aldo
6600 now cant wait for kick off . where the super white army where the super white army where the super white army ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh tequila . bring it on

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Pressley the latest in a list of managers having a pop at our pitch.
I don't think it helps that pre-match warm ups are far more intense than they used to be and the pitch has virtually suffered a game even before the whistle blows!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Pitch doesn’t look great, but have seen worse both here and elsewhere.

Might have gone for Smith ahead of Morris in Pringle’s absence. See Nelson doesn’t make the bench today.

Looks like a decent turnout.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Got to feel sorry for Sid Nelson and Ben Tollitt, who can't make a seven-man bench with a few out injured. But that shows how strong and deep our squad is in 2019.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Carlisle had the better chances of the half, including hitting the bar with the goal gaping. Close range header from Banks to put us ahead just before h/t. Can’t put my finger on what’s not working, but we seem to be losing out in midfield, even before McCulloch’s early departure. Will need to up our game to hold onto this.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Mixed half-time scores with all above us also ahead. However, Exeter and FGR are trailing, so the playoffsare well within our grasp. Notts are three up at Stevenage while Macc were leading at Lincoln, but now level .

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Deserved win after much improved second half showing.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A superb performance by Rovers.

It took us a while to get to grips with the game. We put together some good moves in the first half, but I thought Carlisle probably edged it, passing the ball slightly better, and we rode our luck with the effort off the crossbar. We missed the work McCullough does in front of the back four and we were a bit exposed at times. However, the timing of the first goal was crucial and in the second half we completely controlled the game and were terrific. A very professional performance.

Individually, I thought Monthe and Ellis struggled a bit at times in the first period, with their communication not at its best. However, after half time Manny was immense and I was pleased he got his goal. Jake Caprice was excellent again at right back, with Rides a bit wasteful on the opposite flank, but overlapping well and producing a brilliant goal line clearance at 2-0. I thought both Banks and Jennings had very good games, but my man of the match would again be David Perkins, who was superb with and without the ball. His performances are incredible for a player of his age.

MK Dons and Mansfield both won, but they will drop further points in the run-in. All that matters is we keep winning and we have the chance to go above The Stags on Tuesday night. If we win at Oldham the play offs are all but certain, and automatic promotion is a real possibility.

A great crowd and atmosphere at Prenton Park, as our momentum continues to build. Hopefully the injuries to Pringle and McCullough are not serious, although we coped well in their absence today; Jay Harris can be pleased with his performance this afternoon.