• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Carlisle

Player
Liam Palmer
It was very similar to the Hartlepool game in so many ways - we got bullied and bossed around, especially in midfield.

When I saw the starting line-up, I assumed we might go more 442, but like the Pools' game it was 433. The problem was the same, the front three were very isolated from each other. Kayode did a lot of good hold-up work in the first-half but was very isolated from the JMW and Donnelly. And with the midfield unable to break forward to pick up lay-offs from the big man, it meant we looked very disjointed. It was ironic that the two goals came after we'd made what we assumed was a positive, attacking pair of substitutions. The most annoying thing about the opening goal is that it came from a misplaced pass when we were attacking. It wasn't the first time we'd tried a 'Champagne' cross-field pass rather than play it simply down one flank. The second goal came about because we were still reeling from the first one and hadn't regrouped.

We actually did a lot of attacking in this game and what worried me is our lack of the killer pass or nous to open up a stubborn defence. Despite playing the two wide men we didn't seem to get in behind them enough. And I think Donnelly is wasted way out on the left.

A few have commented how we seem to be better away from home, especially against better teams. I think this is because we are a decent counter-attacking team. Where we struggle is at home, when we have to dictate a game and the opposition sits in. I think a home game against Shrewsbury will suits us better as they will come at us more. In the meantime, I think we can achieve good results at Newport and York. We have a clutch of new players (and the possibility of a couple more loans according to Palios), it will take a bit of time to gel.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Can somebody please explain why after Micky signs a load of sixfooters we get muscled out of a game? Is he now going to get some even bigger players?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Why ignore Exeter and Accrington games?

im not ignoring them im stating that im worried that after our last 2 home games weve been awful and outplayed by 2 of our relegation rivals.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Can somebody please explain why after Micky signs a load of sixfooters we get muscled out of a game? Is he now going to get some even bigger players?

In fairness, I don't think any of the new signings are physical players, other than Dugdale. There is definitely more emphasis on skill in the side now and we are less combative, which is why certain teams are able to bully us.

I think TT64 makes a good point regarding the 4-3-3 formation. All of our poorest performances at PP under Mickey have featured this formation - Southend, the first half against Stevenage, Hartlepool, Carlisle - although it is effective away from home. More generally, with more cultured players in the side now, we fare well against footballing teams who allow us to play - Accrington, Exeter - and struggle against some of those that don't.