• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Carlisle

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I haven't seen us beat Carlisle at home in a long while, 2 0-0s and 2 defeats, so perhaps it's as well I won't make this game. They have David Amoo, who's done better in Cumbria than he ever managed for us; not that that's saying much. A potential 6-pointer, although it's probably more crucial for the visitors to take something, given their remaining fixtures this month are against sides near or at the top.

Iain Hume's clearance has come through, but unsure if he'll be match-fit and more likely to feature as a sub. Ihiekwe remains unfit, but Danny Holmes in contention, having overcome last weekend's injury. While we're likely to start with a similar line-up to the Exeter trip, I wonder if Laird will be recalled to physically bolster the midfield. At least now, Micky has a few choices to make.

Ironically, Adam Dugdale's first return game at PP, features the referee, Mr Duncan, who awarded a rather harsh penalty for handball against him in extra time to gift Brentford the winner last season.

Prediction: While our joint-chairs are hoping for a crowd around 6k, fear we'll fall a little short. The Cumbrians have already sold ~ 200 tickets, but expect sales on the day will bolster their numbers. The Scouse derby following on is likely to depress our numbers and I would expect a crowd of around 5.6k.
Expecting a close game, either a score draw or narrow win.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I would imagine we will start with the same team as against Exeter, with Humey perhaps coming off the bench to take the applause of the Rovers fans. While I have worried previously about the absence of Laird in games like this, the midfield were so strong in the second half at St James' Park I think we can cope without him as long as our attitude is right. In any case, there is no way Molyneux should be dropped after last week's display.

Carlisle will be hyped up and will battle, and we have to be far more competitive than we were against Hartlepool. If we are, I think we will win as we have better players, although the Cumbrians do have a few decent individuals such as Wyke.

The crowd may not top 6,000, but I think it will be another healthy gate with a decent following from Cumbria. A victory would set us up for an assault on the top half of the table, not that I am taking anything for granted just yet.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Worryingly, we seem to keep our best displays for teams above us in the table and sink to the depths when we are playing fellow strugglers. As with Hartlepool, we just can't afford to lose this one and I can see it ending about 1-1.

This is a really competitive division. There's no dross. Just look at what Hartlepool did against us and Argyle. I think any two of at least ten teams could get relegated. I'm just pleased we have a squad that's got quality and depth and can survive a few injuries.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Worryingly, we seem to keep our best displays for teams above us in the table and sink to the depths when we are playing fellow strugglers. As with Hartlepool, we just can't afford to lose this one and I can see it ending about 1-1.

This is a really competitive division. There's no dross. Just look at what Hartlepool did against us and Argyle. I think any two of at least ten teams could get relegated. I'm just pleased we have a squad that's got quality and depth and can survive a few injuries.

The league is full of dross the standard is so poor and that's why so many teams are in a relegation battle.

Think we will draw 1 1

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, I agree with Mart. The standard in the bottom half of the table is poor, and our squad compares favourably with anybody outside the handful of top clubs. Hartlepool failed to beat us, despite the fact that we were woeful on the day, and they only narrowly beat a Plymouth side that have gone seven games without a win. Other than Hartlepool we have beaten a number of the struggling clubs recently (Dagenham, Oxford, Portsmouth, Northampton).

But I agree that complacency is a danger tomorrow and we must be up for the fight.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Think we'll win this by a few goals. Really confident over the last few weeks and our squad is the strongest it's been all season.

Player
Manager
John King
Well, we would not be Tranmere if we did things the easy way. A very disappointing performance which leaves us under pressure once again.

I though we started the game quite brightly with Molyneux in particular looking influential. However, as the first half progressed we began to struggle with Carlisle's direct, physical approach. Carlisle squeezed us up the pitch and booted a lot of balls in behind, and our midfield gradually faded from the game. We continued to be a threat on the counter attack, but I thought Carlisle had the better of the half and I was happy to go in 0-0 at half time.

I was expecting a response after half time, but if anything we looked even flatter in the opening minutes of the second half. With the introduction of Humey and the switch to 4-4-2 we did finally start to build some momentum, but Carlisle then hit us with a sucker punch from their first real attack of the half, and we lost our way once again. The second goal was shambolic defensively, conceded to another hoof down the middle, and the remainder of the game saw much huffing and puffing from us, with many misplaced passes and poor final balls, JMW being particularly guilty in this regard.

Overall, the performance was lucklustre, against hard working, but very limited opponents. We have got better players than Carlisle, but we have to impose our way of playing on these teams at Prenton Park, and not get drawn into a physical, long ball game, which does not suit us with the players we now have. It worries me slightly that both of the last two home games have seen us outbattled by teams below us in the table: prior to the influx of players in January we were able to compete physically with teams, but if we are attempting a different style of play now, we must have the confidence to keep the ball on the ground and play to our strengths.

On other matters, the attendance was slightly disappointing given that Carlisle brought about 7-800 fans, and the performance of the referee was one of the worst I can ever remember: almost comical at times. A disappointing day.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Even the shocking refereeing couldn't mask how bad we were today. Carlisle worked hard and pushed us giving us limited time on the ball but we played completely into their hands. High balls soaked up by their big guns at the back. This still continued when Odejayi went off and Hume came on making it more comical. We struggled with their direct approach and long ball as was evident with their second.

Midfield was awful today. Below par performances from Power and Jennings. I don't remember their keeper really having to make a save and OFW as MOTM says it all. Bad day today which sucks us back into the bottom group.

Player
Manager
John King
Below par performances from Power and Jennings.

Max has been poor ever since the speculation about his future intensified, and I think he could do with a spell out of the side to clear his head. I thought Molyneux was our best player in the first half and I was surprised he was sacrificed when we went to 4-4-2.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Even staying away didn't buy us a home win against Carlisle. It surprised me that Micky didn't alter the line-up from the off to take account of Carlisle's physical nature. From a distance, the subs in the second half seemed puzzling; was Odejayi injured? If not, he'd have seemed better equiped to feature in a game of this nature than Stockton. How did Hume do on his return?

Agreed that the crowd seems rather disappointing, especially given the extra travelling fans from Cumbria compared to the last game. Mersey derby maybe a factor or the disappointing showing in the last home game.

Results elsewhere didn't go our way either, wins for Dagenham, Mansfield and Portsmouth. It's also telling that Accrington seem to be in free-fall, with the passage of time that 3-0 win doesn't seem quite as good. Our next two games are away to Newport, just lost their manager and on a losing streak and fellow strugglers York who can't win at home. We probably need to win one of those to settle the nerves.

Player
Manager
John King
Perhaps we could have started with Laird, and this is something we might need to consider in future, but basically our passing was poor, the back four hit too many long balls, midfield did not supply the front men, we sat too deep for long periods, and so on.

Humey showed some nice touches and did ok, but the game was effectively over within minutes of him coming on. Carlisle actually brought 590, so the gate was not that bad.

I agree about the upcoming games. Certainly the matches against York and Cheltenham now take on massive significance.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It surprised me that Micky didn't alter the line-up from the off to take account of Carlisle's physical nature. From a distance, the subs in the second half seemed puzzling; was Odejayi injured? If not, he'd have seemed better equiped to feature in a game of this nature than Stockton.
I was puzzled when he went off, he didn't look injured and was one of our better players. He certainly had the physical attributes we needed in a game like this. Stockton showed some OK touches but we all know lacks that physical presence so we really lost any physical advantage we had after the subs.

Felt a bit for Hume on his return. Defence were still lobbing it forward, he had no chance against their back line. I was also disappointed with the set pieces and crossing as when we did get into decent positions, the final ball was lacking.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
My estimate of the crowd was based on the home turnout being about the same, but a few extra visitors. The Palioi were hoping for 6k and it fell significantly short of that figure.

It does seem from what RLC and Ian say that there were some slightly strange decisions made by the manager. It sounds like the midfield were being by-passed, so maybe Laird wouldn't have made a difference. Taking Odejayi off, if still fit, weakened the team and nothing was said post-match about an injury. Will have to see if he features on Tuesday.

Colin K

Player
Ryan Taylor
Well I have to say I am not surprised by the outcome. We looked second best all over the park in the game up at Carlisle and same again today. Carlisle are much like ourselves in terms of some performances have been good but luck hasn't been on their side. However, I was hoping with the additions to the squad made over the past few weeks we would edge this one. Wins for teams around and above have resulted in a very congested bottom half, however the one positive is our goal difference which is like having an extra point compared to some of our rivals.

In terms of the next games, Newport will be looking to end a poor run of form. Prior to their current 4 match losing streak they had a run of 7 wins in 8 games which is why they are where they are in the league. I'd take a point. The game against York I see as a "must win". Although there are plenty of games to go, we need to be picking up points from the sides around us. It is all well and good going and beating Exeter or Accrington (at the time way above us), but it has shown in us winning them games, that teams around us pick up points as well. The York match is a 6 pointer, but not an easy game (they hammered Carlisle 0-3 6 games back) and again although we need to win I am skeptical. With our current squad, it should be 6 points in the next two matches, but part of me thinks it will be two draws.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
We got exactly what we deserved from the game which was nothing, we were poor in every department except for Fon and after the subs we totally lost our shape, worrying times ahead.

Player
Manager
John King
I disagree with Colin's comment that the outcome could be expected based on the game at Brunton Park, as we are unrecognisable now in terms of personnel from the team that played that day, and Carlisle did not look particularly great in that match. However, I agree entirely with his comments about games against teams around us. Failing to beat either Hartlepool and Carlisle at home was not brilliant, and we really need at least four points from the York and Cheltenham games. Funnily enough, we seem better suited to playing away from home at the moment.

I would not go overboard about the significance of yesterday's defeat. We have taken seven points from the last four games, which is still play-off form. With the number of changes in personnel in the last couple of weeks, it will probably take a while for us to gel and perform on a consistent basis.

Colin K

Player
Ryan Taylor
I disagree with Colin's comment that the outcome could be expected based on the game at Brunton Park, as we are unrecognisable now in terms of personnel from the team that played that day, and Carlisle did not look particularly great in that match.

I was perhaps still feeling disappointed by the result. I agree that the additions we have made are positive. We are in a much better position (financial, personnel and league position wise) than we were and I can only commend both Micky and the Palios' for that. Onward and hopefully upwards...

M

Mal

We got exactly what we deserved from the game which was nothing, we were poor in every department except for Fon and after the subs we totally lost our shape, worrying times ahead.
One bad game and you are on the 'Goosed' type negative comments? I think some perspective is required .

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
One bad game and you are on the 'Goosed' type negative comments? I think some perspective is required .

one bad game ? Hartlepool were much better than us and deserved to beat us its not 1 bad game at all. The worry for me is the fact that the defence, midfield and attack were all very poor at the same time.

Player
Backayogo
I saw it as midfield performing extremely poorly and as a result ever done was bogged down. We battled, yes but needed to match them physically. Also, talk and shout to each other. Communication!