• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Cards

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought I would get this one going nice and early.

Our previous meetings with Woking have been dominated by Rovers, with the exception of a 4-1 humiliation when we were at our nadir under Brabin. The Cards struggled last season and have not noticeably strengthened their squad and have also lost the experience of Garry Hill at the hem. They got a decent result on Saturday, beating Gateshead, but this is a game we have to win.

In terms of selection, in the absence of McNulty and Norwood I would start with the following side:

Davies
Buxton Sutton McEveley Ridehalgh
Harris Norburn
Jennings
Cook Alibi

In reality, I think MM will stick with the 433 formation and I am far from convinced that Cook will start. I would not be surprised to see Dunn and Jennings played either side of Alibi. The tactics were not convincing at the weekend and I think we need to move Jennings to a central position where he is most influential and, as everyone agrees, start with Cook.

Prediction: I think we will win the game and the crowd will top 5,000, with less than 50 from Surrey.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We beat Woking fairly comfortably last season, but our first national league fixture was a narrow 1-0 home win against the Cards. It's hard to gauge our opponents, with a new, inexperienced manager at the helm, but I agree that a win would be highly desirable.

On line-up, I broadly agree with RLC as to the best combination, though there must be a doubt about whether McEveley's match fitness will be able to see him through this game.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Tomorrow's game is a test of the depth of the squad and MM's system(s). Woking are a modest side, even though they had a good start to the season. They will be in good spirits, but won't relish the journey north midweek. This is the sort of game we should be winning if we are to top the league. I am confident enough to predict a win, but it may be as close as 2-1 with a few late scares.

Player
Manager
John King
After watching the NL highlights programme, ex-Brighton and Lincoln winger Joe Ward looks to be Woking's best player and could be a handful tomorrow night.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes I don't think this game is cut and dried at all. Although it's good to be back at PP again.

If MM doesn't play Cook in Norwoods absense I think there must be a real problem between the two. I honestly can't see it though.

Going for a 2-1 win.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
After watching the NL highlights programme, ex-Brighton and Lincoln winger Joe Ward looks to be Woking's best player and could be a handful tomorrow night.
Ward has a good pedigree, suggestion elsewhere that he may not be at Woking for long, but using them as a shop window. Let's hope Micky has got a plan for keeping him quiet.

Player
Manager
John King
Cook starts, alabi dropped to the bench. Looks like a 433 with Jennings and dunn wide of cook.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Good that Cook is starting. Less sure about Jennings probably used out of position out wide. 3 attackers on the bench, including Waring, whose missed all pre-season. Would prefer to see the greater option a Duggan or Rokka could provide.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Woking looked a fairly well drilled side and probably edged the opening quarter hour though Connor Jennings had the only effort worth mentioning. A lob upfield from Hughes made Cook who still had a lot of work to do, but finished well. The second was a shot from Norburn too hard for their keeper to handle. Rovers then showed some good passing movement and looked more likely to score. A couple of minutes before h/t, Buxton was dispossessed and a good cross came in, with the visitors'.Carter scoring, unchallenged with a free header.

Rovers deserve to be ahead, but don't look entirely comfortable. The next goal or sending-off could prove crucial

M

Mal

Well. One momentof bad habits defending but a fairly comfortable win.

Look forward to Saturday to see if the momentum can be maintained. Dagenham and Aldershot have hit the ground running.

Player
Manager
John King
A very impressive performance. I thought we dominated the game almost for its entirety, and some of the possession football was excellent. Woking's goal came against the run of play, resulting from some individual brilliance from Ward, and we got a bit sloppy at 3-1, Davies making a good one-handed save. Other than that, we were in cruise control.

I commented tonight that I had not seen a Rovers team look as comfortable in possession for a long time. There is no doubt we have lost pace forom the side, which might cause us a problem at some point in the season, but Buxton, McEveley and Norburn are much better footballers than the individuals they replaced.

Everybody played well and it is difficult to single out individuals. However, Cook showed exactly why he should be in the team, McEverley was very composed and looked a class act, Hughes was back to his best and Buxton was outstanding again. Although he faded after half time, Norburn was brilliant in the first half, his performance capped with a great goal.

I am still not comfortable with the system: Cook was too isolated at times and would have caused more damage with someone alongside him, and Jennings did well but is out of place on the left. I also thought Dunn played well, showing some nice touches, but I would like him to attack the full back and go past him, something we have not seen from him so far. However, I can't complain with the display overall and if we maintain that standard not many teams at this level will beat us. We look a better side than we did a year ago, or even three months ago.

Player
aldo
Well that was ok. Very good game . Cook was good . Harris an norburn was great in midfield jennings an dunn where good . If we had a proper pre season . An played more we might have 6 points not 4 . But not a bad start

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agree with most of RLC assessment. I thought we looked excellent on the ball tonight with some great passing and movement.

There's is definite lack of pace although that didn't help with the absense of Norwood.

I've never liked the 1-man up front tactic but Cook did really well with his goal. Was delighted he scored. Difficult to maintain for 90 mins though.

Still not sure what Dunn brings to the party, but it's early days.

Whilst we were in control I thought the first half had a bit of a pre-season feel to it. Maybe we just looked too comfortable on the ball. The second half had more zip to it.

Working aren't a bad team but we controlled the game and made it look relatively easy with Davies having very little to do.

Also Alabi should have scored. What was he doing?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
4698 in attendance. Bit disappointing.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm pretty pleased with our start, apart from the indiscipline on Saturday. We have matched last season's results and I feel we will get better once the system is tweaked and we get our injured players back. Interesting comment from RLC about the three new players being better than the three that they replaced. That plus the addition of three more forwards makes the squad better than it was at the beginning of last season. On the basis of tonight's display, when are McNulty and Norwood likely to get their place back?

Player
Manager
John King
4698 in attendance. Bit disappointing.
Yes, I agree. The family paddock seemed particularly empty, maybe holidays playing a part ?

Hopefully we will be back above 5,000 on Saturday. Good to see the atmosphere has carried over from last season though.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Holiday season won't help the attendance (I'm in Tenerife so was sat in a beach side restaurant listening to the dulcet tones of Dave Higgins on Wirral radio!).

Pleased Norburn had a good game. I guess Alabi is still very raw given he's young and had one decent season at a much smaller club. Dunn will come good but just needs a good run of games which he's never had with us.

the lack of pace is a concern as is the system as I too don't like a 4-3-3. Worked tonight but against the better teams it remains to be seen. Will be interesting whether Big Mac returns to the side on Saturday

Player
Manager
John King
I would personally bring McNulty back in for Sutton on Saturday. Ritchie did not do anything wrong tonight, but Big Mac is the better player.

The lack of pace at the back might be an issue further down the line, but Woking could not get the ball off us for 80% of the game tonight. If we dominate possession to that extent, teams will find it difficult to hurt us. And McEverley looks like a player who reads the game really well, even if he is not particularly quick.