• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Cards

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'll start with team selection. As RLC says, it was a no-brainer to re-instate Cook, of our main strikers, his conversion rate is about 1 in 3, Norwood's not as high. There were enforced changes with Harris and Kirby unavailable from last week's starting xi, so why make life more difficult with two unenforced ones?

Sutton for Vaughan. I don't understand why Lee is so out of favour. Ritchie played the majority of the game positioned as a third centre-back on the edge of the penalty area. Great cross for the Norwood goal, in a rare foray into the opposing half.

Tollitt for Stephenson. Doesn't seem the best way of building morale for a youngster on our books by dropping him for someone almost as inexperienced who's been at the club a few days. I'd have preferred it the other way, introduce Tollitt from the bench as the opponents tired. He was fast but needs to work on his distribution.

Overall, it wasn't a bad game. Woking started the brighter and probably shaded the first half, but Rovers were the more clinical. There was a spell after we'd gone 2 up, when Rovers defended very deep, inviting pressure. Fair play to Carden for making the tactial adjustment and putting Duggan alongside the struggling Jennings in central midfield. Mitch played a decent cameo and a shame that he was taken out, just as he looked likely to score, after good work with Stephenson then Maynard. Hopefully we'll see a bit more of him in the coming weeks.

There seemed to be more link-up play between Ridehalgh/Almond on the left than Sutton/Tollitt on the right. Norwood, even setting the penalty miss aside seemed a bit out of sorts.

MoM Andy Cook for me too.

Carden got some things right that Brabin didn't. I'm doubtful the side and tactics used here can be used to such positive effect in our trip to east London and if he remains in charge then, will need to show some adaptability.

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I like Vaughan, and like Boz I am not sure why he is so out of favour. However, Sutton is better defensively so I could see the logic in playing him today, certainly with the switch to a formation that left us much more exposed at the back. Similarly, Stephenson is not an out-and-out winger so it made sense in a 4-4-2 to play Pollitt, who was more likely to swing balls into the box for Cook. His deliveries were a bit hit and miss but, again, I could see the logic to the change. With Almond and Stephenson both in the side we would have two wide players, neither of whom try to get to the byline, which would be a typical GB tactic. From watching Louis today, I think his best position is probably in the hole.

I agree with Boz about next week, however. If we gift Dagenham as many chances as we did to Woking today we will concede three or four, and it is a game we can't afford to lose. I think we really need to bring in another midfielder this week, whether to play three in the middle or a narrower 4-4-2. Playing two youngsters out wide as we did today is too risky I think.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I've asked in the past if Vaughan wasn't picked because he was injured or just out of favour. But you'd be hard pushed to kick Sutton out after today.
Equally I've asked for Stephenson to be given a go. Since then, didn't see him at York but have seen his sub appearances at home.
He is very raw and he had the ball today on the counter attack a few times and never really had the ball under control and the attack broke down.
He's definitely work in progress.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Whilst not Sutton's biggest fan I have to say he had an excellent game today especially considering he's been out the squad since March.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
I agree with Ian about Sutton, who was excellent today. I am pleased he is involved again as he was yet another player frozen out by Brabin, for no apparent reason.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I thought Sutton had a good game too. However their main threat out wide came from Lewis on the left. If Woking had more attacks building from the right-wing, as others will, then defending from the edge of the box could leave us more exposed.

While agreeing with Cowshed Kid that Stephenson is not the finished article, the performances against Lincoln and York were encouraging. I take RLCs point about Tollitt taking the ball to the by-line, though he didn't deliver much from there. Stephenson made some wrong choices when left to his own devices, but when Duggan and Maynard offered, there was some good passing.

While it won't happen, if we play 442 at Dagenham, I'd be tempted to start with Duggan ahead of Jennings. Kirby will be back next week and Hughes' ban ends after that. We should only bring a midfielder in if they're clearly an improvement on what's here already.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
I think it would be too much for Duggan to play in a midfield two away to the top of the table side. However, it might be worth starting in him in a midfield three if we change formation for that game.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think it would be too much for Duggan to play in a midfield two away to the top of the table side. However, it might be worth starting in him in a midfield three if we change formation for that game.

On reflection I think you're right. However, it didn't look that Jennings was coping well with being in a central midfield pair, so a re-think will be needed for the trip to Dagenham.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Thought we deserved the win in what was quite an entertaining game, good to see us going 4-4-2 but thought we were far too open at times against a poor team who created quite a few decent chances. Maynard Cook Norwood & Sutton for me were are best players, Brabin clearly fell out with Sutton last season who did nothing to deserve being left out. Good to see Duggan get a run out and would certainly be worth a go from the start in a midfield 3 with maynard & Jennings away from home