• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Cards

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It doesn't look as though a new manager will be in place for the home game against Woking, so what will the interim team of Carden/Garnett/Jones do to turn around our poor recent form?

A lot of water under the bridge, since our opening NL fixture last August. That was a narrow win, thanks to a Harris free-kick against an opponent expected to be around the play-off zone themselves, but their main striker Rendell sustained a serious injury which kept him out all seaon. Money tight for our opponents, but with an experienced boss in Garry Hill, they've turned round a poor start and are steadily climbing the table. The only link is Brian Saah, once a trialist for Rovers.

There hasn't been much news on the injury front. Connor J was out for a month, but Kirby, Harris and Mekki all were injured on Sutton's plastic and Hughes is banned. I'd expect new signing Louis Almond to start, but whether in a 442 or Brabin's preferrred 433 will be interesting.

Prediction: On current form we should lose this, but expect we'll get at least a draw, hopefully better. With the visitors bringing around 100, expecting an average crowd of about 4.5k

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Event at this stage of the season I think this is a massive game. Lose again, and follow that up with a defeat at Dagenham, and we could effectively be out of the automatic promotion race in October. So I think it is vital that we pick up three points.

Carden does not fill me with confidence as caretaker manager, but even John McMahon won his first game in charge against Coventry, so who knows. I just hope Carden does not follow the example of Matt Gill a couple of years ago and employ the same tactics as his predecessor. With the major midfield injuries we don't have the players for a 4-3-3 and it would surely be most sensible to line up in a 4-4-2, with Stephenson on one wing and perhaps Almond on the other. I don't like to single individuals out, but with the players we have missing Steve Jennings needs to put a proper shift in on Saturday.

Going off on a tangent briefly, I seem to remember that Gill was assisted by Edwards' other coach for his sole game in charge, but his name escapes me completely. It just demonstrates how many inept managers we have employed in recent years that I can't actually remember who some of them were, despite attending nearly every game !

Woking are not bringing a coach for this game, so I would expect about 50 visiting fans in what will probably be our lowest gate of the season so far. As Boz points out, The Cards are in decent form so this match is no formality, despite their lowly league position.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This game is too difficult to call. I've no idea what mood the squad at in, how they are feeling about GB's departure, PC's temporary elevation and Louis Almond's recent arrival. I fear the worst and hope we can at least score a goal.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Although I'm sure Carden has no chance of landing the managers job, if he is to give himself any chance then surely he must change formation/tactics from what has ultimately led to his mate GB losing his job. Sticking with the same old uncreative system could highly likely result in defeat and a grim afternoon at PP. Surely he can see things haven't been working and so it need changing - if its broke then fix it!

As RLC suggests it would be nice to see 4-4-2 with Cook & Nors up front with Almond playing wide on one side and Stephenson on the other. Assuming Harris isn't fit this would mean Jenno & Maynard in the middle with the skipper, who may lose the captaincy to Big Mac when a new manager comes in, needing to put in a shift. Expect the usual back 4 but still think we need a new left back. If Mekki and or Kirby are fit then one of these may play wide too but I'd go with Stephenson for his pace and Almond.

Prediction: a nervy affair but rovers to edge it.

Can any main stand occupiers keep a look out for future managers?!... Shrewsbury currently 3rd from bottom are away at 18th placed Wimbledon so if they lose that then maybe MM will be available...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
According to Norwood he was gutted GB left. Anyway moving on, I don't think we'll see much change in performance until the new boss comes in.

Maybe a little bit more freedom but I think as per usual we'll make it difficult for ourselves.

M

Mal

it took Klopp almost half aseason to change the way the team played in a consistent fashion. And that was with obscenely paid professionals.i cannot see much of a change happening on Saturday. Carden was part of the problem . Hope I am completely wrong, though.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Some interesting pre-match remarks from Carden;

Suggests there will have to be a change in formation due to the injuries, so RLCs proposed 442 looks likely.
It also seems that the injury situation is quite bad. Kirby not back for another week, Mekki until mid October and Connor J a couple of months. It's understandable in that context that Almond was signed and the likes of Askew and Duggan may make the bench.

Colin K

Player
Ryan Taylor
I'm not that fussed about Mekki being out. For me he isn't a great player and not quick enough to be an effective winger. Kirby is also hit and miss but I would like to see him develop into a good squad player. As for Almond, is he not a striker? Surely playing him on the wing as part of a 4-4-2 would just be what Brabin was doing and playing players out of position just to fit them in the team? I suppose with injuries we are sort of stuck so it will be interesting what team is put out.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
not sure what to make of this game with a lot of injuries a caretaker manger etc going for 1 0 home win but no reasoning behind it

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It's Catch 22. If we lose, we slip further down. If we win, Carden is more likely to get the job.

Player
Manager
John King
Carden won't get the job. Even if he was in contention (which I am sure he is not), Palios is not going to be bowled over by a victory against Woking.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm not that fussed about Mekki being out. For me he isn't a great player and not quick enough to be an effective winger. Kirby is also hit and miss but I would like to see him develop into a good squad player. As for Almond, is he not a striker? Surely playing him on the wing as part of a 4-4-2 would just be what Brabin was doing and playing players out of position just to fit them in the team? I suppose with injuries we are sort of stuck so it will be interesting what team is put out.

I didn't see Mekki pre-season, but apparently he did well, yet got frozen out or played out of position in central midfield. Pace isn't the only requirement for a winger. Almond probabily is primarily a striker, but can play on the wing, Stephenson mainly a winger, who can play up front. Then Tollitt who we've loaned from Pompey plays striker as well as winger. Daren Askew, our youth player first year pro is a winger, but probably won't get a look in with all the new arrivals.

Player
Nevin
Back after an extended stay in Spain. A lot has changed since I was gone. I'm hoping my return will be a good luck charm. Watching the team before the big crash in form we looked like this could happen so I'm not exactly surprised. Still we were winning games like this and I suspect we shall get this one. 2-1 is my guess. But having missed so many matches that is based on gut feeling only. I'll miss this one too as I'm straight back on shift. I look forward to the reports.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Vaughan replaced by Sutton and Tollett in for Stephenson. Didn't expect either of those. It may be I need to rehash last seasons 'why we need a proper right-back' comments.

Sparse crowd, about 30 Woking so far with ten minutes to load.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It's an attacking line-up. I'd be concerned about the control of midfield and team cohesion with two debutants and Richie's first game of the season. However, it does show distinct differences from the old regime. I doubt GB would have fielded this side.

Player
Manager
John King
Not entirely convincing, but a desperately needed three points.

The match was incredibly open with chances for both sides, almost the complete reverse of what we have come to expect under Brabin. To a large extent this was enforced due to the midfield injuries and, as BBTC alludes to above, we have did not have enough control in the middle of the pitch at any stage to make life comfortable. Jennings has not got the legs to play in a two-man midfield these days and there was a lack of protection for the back four. We also missed the ability of C.Jennings and Hughes to put their foot on the ball and show some composure. However, we can't complain at the number of chances created: there was more goalmouth incident in that game than the previous ten at Prenton Park combined. Just shows what happens when you play two goalscorers in their correct positions.

Individually, I thought the two new signings both showed some promise. Tollitt was confident and willing to take on an opponent, but his decision making let him down at times, as you would expect from a youngster. Almond was lively and willing to receive the ball, but did not seem totally comfortable out wide and did not contribute much in the final third. It was also pleasing to see Mitch Duggan get on the pitch and he made a positive contribution, particularly in the build-up to the penalty. However, I was most pleased for Andy Cook who showed what folly it was of Brabin to drop him last week. He is by far our best finisher, and the real difference between the teams today was the quality of our strikers.

Overall, I thought it was a good effort from the players in the circumstances, but we will have to be far better defensively to get anything at Dagenham. Ideally, we will have a new man in place by next Saturday. Today's attendance of 4,200 was alarming and demonstrates how crucial it is that we make a good appointment.

Man of the match Andy Cook, for winning us the game.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Broadly agree with RLC. It's a result which buys a bit of time, with the sides at the top all winning save Lincoln.
More when I get home.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
A refreshing win and nice to bag a few goals too. Not entirely convincing against a pretty poor Woking side but much needed and as RLC mentions above, it was nice to see players played in their positions.

Three really well taken goals and was a little gutted we couldn't leave with four goals after Norwood penalty miss.

It would have made for an interesting game if Woking had stuck their penalty away.

Wasn't entirely convinced about the new guys. Didn't do a great deal when they had the ball. Duggan looked really fired up and is pretty fast. Would like to see more of him.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I thought it was good entertainment, ably assisted by the opposition who moved the ball about the pitch with confidence. Our finishing today was the difference between the two teams.
Almond was steady enough, clearly intent on keeping it simple and Tollitt went past men with ease but sometimes didn't know which way he was going.
Sutton was excellent- great cross for the Nors header and other half decent deliveries. Took the opportunity to stake a place with both hands.
Be interesting if Cook and Nors are both on the field next time we get a penno whether Cook tries to grab the ball!
Duggan's face when he was brought down was a picture. Like a kid who'd had his ice cream taken off him. He was literally cms from making that last stretch to prod home.
Begs the question, 3-1 down at 90 mins would you want one of your players to take a three match ban just to potentially prevent a 4-1 scoreline? At 1-1 maybe.
Referee was usual poor standard but at least he wasn't moved by some theatrical antics in the box by their no 9 and was sensible enough to simply talk to that player and Macca when there was a "coming together" of heads.
Altogether, came away very pleased. As has been said, Carden is unlikely to get the job but I'm pleased for him that the players responded to his change of formation and input.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks everyone for the reports. It was great even to follow the match on the Wall. The Brabin era is well and truly over. Credit to PC for being bold enough to change both personnel and tactics - and for firing up the team. You may say he's got nothing to lose, but it's gone embarrassingly badly with some other stand-in bosses.

Another welcome sign was the introduction of Mitch Duggan. When GB was appointed, my Luton supporting mate said Brabin was not known for blooding the youngsters. And so it proved. It has been four years since any of the young pros has been given a proper chance. You can always find good reasons not to play them, but ultimately you don't really know how good they are till you watch them in a meaningful game. The likes of Evan Gumbs have lost three vital years of their development. In the weeks to come, I'd like to see what some of the others can do.