• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Cambridge

Match result

• Rovers

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cambridge

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Cambridge
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Monday, April 5, 2021 - 03:00 PM
Until: Monday, April 5, 2021 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m sure every club has idiotic fans with unrealistic expectations. I bet some of the Bolton and FGR fans are going into meltdown after recent results but I bet their managers don’t bring it up in every interview!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I have just watched the penalty incident again on Quest and Lewis clears the ball and makes no contact with the player. All three pundits said it was a 'ridiculous' decision.

Robbed unfortunately.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
@Sparky The Bolton connections do not help his cause with some supporters and is fighting a losing battle.
@Rockfords Love Child Very annoying especially after Joe saved the initial penalty but these things usually swing in roundabouts. Hopefully we will get one soon!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I have just watched the penalty incident again on Quest and Lewis clears the ball and makes no contact with the player. All three pundits said it was a 'ridiculous' decision.

Robbed unfortunately.
You just beat me to this comment. I also saw the female ref taking charge of the Harrogate v Port Vale game. No complaints from either manager. Wish we’d had her at PP.

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
I'm sure there is irony in fans on various social media channels moaning about Hill moaning about fans moaning about results/performances!
I'm not sure he actually bothers directly. There are so many people in the club that can tell him what is going on, he doesn't need to look himself

Player
Manager
John King
One thing I would say about Hill's interviews is that he is very protective of the players. However eccentric the interviews are, you don't hear him criticising individual players even after a poor performance, which must go down well in the dressing room.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
One thing I would say about Hill's interviews is that he is very protective of the players. However eccentric the interviews are, you don't hear him criticising individual players even after a poor performance, which must go down well in the dressing room.
Absolutely. In fact, I think his number one target audience for the interviews might well be the players even ahead of the fans. I’d like to be in the dressing room or on the training pitch after a defeat like Cheltenham to hear how he handles the players. Whatever he did, it certainly worked yesterday.

Player
Manager
John King
I still think he needs to take advice and change the tone of the interviews though. If a defence of the players comes across as an attack on supporters something is not right, particularly as he has no idea what the majority of supporters are thinking and saying.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I still think he needs to take advice and change the tone of the interviews though. If a defence of the players comes across as an attack on supporters something is not right, particularly as he has no idea what the majority of supporters are thinking and saying.
Agree with this, whilst protecting the players he is alienating some of the fans.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
I suspect that most managers find the whole press conference/interview requirements frustrating and people probably read more into them now there are no fans in the ground. If they are open and "interesting" in the interview things tend to get over-analysed (KH) while if you say the same thing after every game you get slated (MM)! Personally, I've never gone out of my way to watch them since they only wind me up and would much rather read posters' opinions of a match on WR! It's just another area where live entertainment is being swamped by ("replaced by" at the moment) "content".

Player
Manager
John King
Personally, I thought Mellon's approach was the correct one, as he never responded to the vitriolic / abusive comments of a minority on Twitter and directed all of his comments to the largely silent majority of 6,000 supporters. As a result, a bond developed between him and the vast majority of supporters and the club was unified. The toxic minority were marginalised and were not part of the conversation.

There is a danger in Hill's approach that he ends up in a never ending tit-for-tat argument with a minority on social media that will never be won round to him. That can result in a really toxic atmosphere.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It’s only adding fuel to the fire for some supporters. Also, because of his connections with Bolton, he will never have the same relationship with some fans as Mellon. I hope he succeeds this season to shut some of them up however.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Good good. Dangerous those teams at the bottom fighting for league status. Let’s have another Southend.

drwhoman

I rarely watch these interviews as they tend to follow a pattern. If we win - short answer - good win. If we lose - must try harder! The results on the field are what counts. Managers are not going to share their true thoughts on a match with anyone other than their assistants and the players. Even the owners will be given a line from time to time! It might be easier for KH when fans are in the ground and there can be personal interaction.He has a tough task replacing the personable and ex player Mellon without this.

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
I wonder if the procession of Morecambe players being sent off in prior games has disrupted their team. Hope Southend hold out.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Big man Cole equalises