• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Cambridge

Match result

• Rovers

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cambridge

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Cambridge
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Monday, April 5, 2021 - 03:00 PM
Until: Monday, April 5, 2021 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
CBT was another positive. He did well when he came on and we need to get him back involved.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
But we are still third and at most will be a point behind Morecambe. Bolton have picked up one point from the Easter games against poorer opposition and a number of sides are struggling.

The key for me today was that we looked much better with Lloyd up front. I think a similar kind of performance will see off bottom half of the table sides, and the upcoming fixtures are not as tough as the two games we have just played.
As you say RLC the next games are winnable and if we play like today then we could give ourselves a real chance. The problem is we’ve been average or poor in recent games against the lesser sides so who knows what performance we’ll put in.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I thought it was a penalty as he catches the player on the follow through.

Spearing injury is a worry and until Vaughan returns we won't score enough goals.

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
You never know, Vaughan could be back Saturday or the game after... Way past that 2 to 4 weeks comment Hill made when asked about how long he'd be out

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I've got another positive to share with you, which surprised me to be honest.

We have played 39 league games, of which 4 have been goalless draws. Of the remaining 35, we have scored first in just 18 against our opponents' 17, which sounds midtable form. However, in the 18 games where we got the opening goal, we went on to win 15 times, only drew three times (including today) and never lost. By comparison, when our opponents took the lead first, they only won 11 times out of 17 because we drew three times and went on to win three times.

This shows we have a squad that will battle while there is still hope, no matter who the manager is.

Player
Manager
John King
As you say RLC the next games are winnable and if we play like today then we could give ourselves a real chance. The problem is we’ve been average or poor in recent games against the lesser sides so who knows what performance we’ll put in.
Most of those games were with Lewis or Nugent up front. I am hoping we have turned the corner after the change of personnel.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree with most of the sentiment here, a game where Rovers were the better side, had eased off a bit in the second half and were undone by the penalty decision, at first glance thought it was a debatable award, but not convinced it was wrong. We settled down again, after a nervy spell following their leveller, but a long-range effort from Khan aside, don't recall us troubling their keeper in the later stages, even with the handful of decent balls into the box amongst the rash of mis-hit crosses. While there wasn't much for Nugent to go after, he didn't make anything happen and can't help feeling that ten minutes of a Burton/Jolley running at them might have made more of an impact.

It's likely that Morecambe will move into the automatic place with a win over Southend, but this league is unpredictable, which is why our dip in form hasn't proved fatal to our promotion chances, but equally why I'd be wary of making any assumptions about the "easier" games coming up next.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
60% possession in the first half and we were well on top. Should have made it count instead of leaving it to the ref to decide the outcome later on. Need to punish teams.

Player
Manager
John King
60% possession in the first half and we were well on top. Should have made it count instead of leaving it to the ref to decide the outcome later on. Need to punish teams.
Indeed, but at least we looked more fluid and threatening than in some recent games. Plus, we were playing the team top of the league, who have got a good defensive record.

It often takes time to turn round patchy form, and I am hoping that with Lloyd up front confidence and some more goals will return to the team, even without Vaughan.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes, it certainly did look more promising in the first half.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
KH confirmed Spearing has a hamstring injury and although he didn't confirm about Vaughan, Murphy said be a couple of weeks

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Keith was definitely on Twitter again after Friday talking about the negativity again and asking do people expect us to win every game

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Sadly some people do!

Yes but why Keith has to keep making reference to it I’m not sure. Although last 6 games we’re 15th in the form guide so it’s a good thing teams around us are dropping points too

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Amused myself reading the Cambridge forum. Some are very smug about their prospects, while there aren't any stand-out sides this season, on what I've seen more impressed with Cheltenham. They seemed divided on the penalty also thought Lewis' should have been sent off for his ball-winning challenge and Lloyd for an elbow, which I don't recall.

Player
aldo
he and some of our fans need to Chill a little at the end of the day we are still 3rd we played well but need to start taking our chances, but I have a Question what god or Lord or Devil have the club pissed off we always lose our best players in the past Muir when on fire Nevin when he was nearly cut in half at PP Wallace-Tollit-Scottie-Spearing we have a history of losing our best players at the wrong time

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes but why Keith has to keep making reference to it I’m not sure.
That tells me that it's grating on him. I agree largely with what he says but I wish he would stop preaching. It's never going to change.

@Boz I did think that Lloyd's challenge was a bit suspect, he did seem to go in with his elbow but it's sometimes difficult to tell watching iFollow as the quality isn't great and neither are the replays. Need to see that penalty again too, as I'm 50/50 with that one.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
As I have said previously, I don't know why he is even looking at social media. It is completely irrelevant to his job and must have a negative impact emotionally. All that matters is his relationship with Palios.

The opinions of people on social media - including us - are not representative of an entire fanbase of 6-7,000 anyway. He is not learning anything by reading this stuff. He needs to ignore it.

Player
aldo
I don't think he will, I just don't get him doing it but have to say some of the so-called fan comments are so bad they should be ashamed of themselves, not true fans