• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Cambridge

Match result

• Rovers

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cambridge

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Cambridge
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Monday, April 5, 2021 - 03:00 PM
Until: Monday, April 5, 2021 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Mullin is bound to score and I think we will lose again as our defence now looks far from secure.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Score draw is my best hope. Said elsewhere, but if we play as if Nugent/Lewis are doing a good impersonation of Vaughn we'll surely struggle for goals. So yep maybe we have to play a different way to suit strikers available. More radically we could forget the nice footie we've been employing and go more direct by sticking Sid or Manny up top. May have come in handy defending long throws last week.
Plenty of centre backs have converted more successfully to a role as striker eg Paul Warhurst, Dion Dublin, John Charles and our very own Ronnie Moore. I could put up with the ale house stuff if we could sneak a few wins that way. As it stands the best I ever expect lately is a draw.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I had not realised, but Nugent did actually play twenty four games for Preston last season in the Championship, albeit some of them as substitute I would imagine. Will he eventually come good for us as he regains match fitness ?

Perhaps I am clutching at straws.

drwhoman

Score draw is my best hope. Said elsewhere, but if we play as if Nugent/Lewis are doing a good impersonation of Vaughn we'll surely struggle for goals. So yep maybe we have to play a different way to suit strikers available. More radically we could forget the nice footie we've been employing and go more direct by sticking Sid or Manny up top. May have come in handy defending long throws last week.
Plenty of centre backs have converted more successfully to a role as striker eg Paul Warhurst, Dion Dublin, John Charles and our very own Ronnie Moore. I could put up with the ale house stuff if we could sneak a few wins that way. As it stands the best I ever expect lately is a draw.
And of course to us older folk - John Manning!

Brightonian

Player
Ian Goodison, James Norwood
Of course the Cheltenham mugging was very disappointing but the beauty is all can change in the next game. We played Cambridge off the park at their place despite being goalless, so let’s be optimistic. Personally I haven’t given up on Nugent yet and he just might come good and turn from villain to hero (clutching at straws I know).
Seems to me that we miss Paul Lewis in his combative midfield role and he offers most with his box to box running. Whatever the lineup feel Danny Lloyd has more of a goal threat than most, is dynamic to get us out of the blocks quickly and would start with him. Seem to treat Danny very cautiously if starting coming off after an hour: he is supposed to be one of the fittest, wonder if he carries an injury ?
My perhaps naive prediction 2 -0 Rovers DN brace!
Another one for the defender to striker list is Trevor Stornton in the Ron Yeats era with Ronnie in defence . He didn’t score many but it worked well as he made space for others and held up play to build around him . Ronnie Moore actually started making his first few games as a striker, then reverted to an excellent quick defender and then back to a top free scoring target man.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Wow. Watched John Manning as a kid, but didn't know that. Great shout.
Yes, the first time I saw him play he was a defender. It was a preseason friendly against New Brighton at The Tower. Also making his debut was a young Ray Mathias!

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
The forecast suggests it will be fairly gusty at 3pm. Hopefully there will be fewer balls lobbed in the air. That does remind me of an away game at Cambridge in the 80s. Our goalkeeper kicked the ball (from a goal kick) as a Cambridge player was walking back towards the centre, as were our defenders. The wind was so strong, the ball blew back and the Cambridge player noticed this first, turned and ran after it and took our goalkeeper by surprise, scoring. Worst goal conceded I have seen!

Reactions: Ian

ADD

Player
Norwood
Hill has to do something different that is for sure - trouble is I doubt he will.
I would start with with Burton. Can't be any worse than how toothless we have been recently - he has pace and looked good in his cameo earlier in the season.
Suspect in any event we wil lose - going for 2-0 to Cambridge with Mullin for sure scoring one at least.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm going against the trend. I said we'd win both Easter fixtures, so it's double or quits for me. Two-nil to Rovers with Mullin NOT scoring (unless at the wrong end ;) ).

Where there's faith .....

Player
aldo
he only got 8 games and still not starting or scoring think we will be lucky if he comes good would love it if he got the winner in the 90th min of the playoff final

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Of course the Cheltenham mugging was very disappointing but the beauty is all can change in the next game. We played Cambridge off the park at their place despite being goalless, so let’s be optimistic. Personally I haven’t given up on Nugent yet and he just might come good and turn from villain to hero (clutching at straws I know).
Seems to me that we miss Paul Lewis in his combative midfield role and he offers most with his box to box running. Whatever the lineup feel Danny Lloyd has more of a goal threat than most, is dynamic to get us out of the blocks quickly and would start with him. Seem to treat Danny very cautiously if starting coming off after an hour: he is supposed to be one of the fittest, wonder if he carries an injury ?
My perhaps naive prediction 2 -0 Rovers DN brace!
Another one for the defender to striker list is Trevor Stornton in the Ron Yeats era with Ronnie in defence . He didn’t score many but it worked well as he made space for others and held up play to build around him . Ronnie Moore actually started making his first few games as a striker, then reverted to an excellent quick defender and then back to a top free scoring target man.
The Nugent signing seemed good news at the time - so just hope he does come good.
Great background info on Ronnie and Trevor Storeton. Thanks Brightonian.

Player
Manager
John King
Lloyd and Monthe start, Ray and Morris dropped. O'Connor still in midfield, Lewis still up front. CBT on bench.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Monthe in for Ray. Lloyd presumably on the left so Lewis up top again. CBT on the bench

Player
Manager
John King
If Hoolahan does not start, do we really need O'Connor in midfield ?

Not thrilled by that side to be honest.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
If Hoolahan does not start, do we really need O'Connor in midfield ?
Yes I was thinking this. A bit negative perhaps albeit against a decent side. Hopefully Lewis works as if it doesn’t again then Keith hasn’t learnt the lesson

Player
Manager
John King
Hoolahan confirmed as on the bench, so I would rather have Morris in midfield. Did Keith realise he would not play today ?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Bloody Lewis again! Morris getting dropped is a disappointment. Good to see Lloyd back in but where are the goals coming from?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Obviously Mullin faces us but also Declan Drysdale is on the bench. He’s the last one from our youth set-up to make it in league football.