• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Cambridge

drwhoman

Ian, I agree with your comment regarding Micky's penchant for physical players. His comments after the Cambridge game really bear this out when he commented on precisely this aspect of the composition of the opposing team. He clearly believes that at Div Two level, where skill levels are inevitably lower, you do need more grunt linked to whole hearted commitment which we are definately seeing in the team now. As several others have said, it will be interesting to see what happens in January. I would imagine that we will certainly see a big physical defender if Micky can get one. We really do give too many goals away at set pieces. On Baggie, an additional reason for his lack of involvement might be his family problems in Sierra Leone, linked to ebola, which he has commented on publically in the past.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
This forum would be dead boring if we all agreed on everything TRFC-related.

I accept that by including Micky's Cup record with Rovers, things look brighter. Winning games is habit forming, so our cup exploits help that way. However, they don't actually add to our points tally, so my calculation of points per league game is arguably the best way to estimate a final tally.

At the start of the season and admittedly with little idea exactly what was needed of a L2 side, most posters on here, myself included, felt that we'd got a reasonable squad, who could be competitive at this level. There were some glaring omissions; a holding midfielder fit enough to feature regularly for example. Even now, I don't think the Edwards squad was that bad; capable of beating current table toppers Wycombe away. A sign of a good manager is one who can get the best out of players at his disposal; remember Ronnie turning round Les Parry's relegation-bound side? I'm less comfortable with a manager who can only work with his type of players and a little uneasy about the staying in touch until January, then transform the squad approach.

I accept that neither Richards nor Baggie are Rovers legends. There are others who play in the same position as Richards, while he hadn't been setting the place on fire so if Micky feels that those others can do better then fair enough. However we don't really have an alternative to Baggie ~haven't seem Jahraldo-Martins but get the impression he's more of a forward, so remain puzzled that he never features.

While not agreeing with everything posted on here, we all share the same hopes and fears for our beloved Tranmere Rovers. If Santa is kind, we will get decent results for our last two games of 2014 and secure our League status in 2015. Seasons greetings to you all.