• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Bury

Rovers v Bury
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, April 30, 2019 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Still think we need more pace in the side. Apart from Morris and Nors we don’t have much. Pringle is the slowest winger I’ve seen and Banks is cumbersome at times.

Still we’ve made the plays offs which is a fantastic achievement so let’s not be too negative. 2 games from a third successive Wembley appearance

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I don't think we should be too despondent. Even finishing eighth would have been more than acceptable. We should be happy we have a good chance of promotion via the play-offs. I think we have the ability to beat any team over two legs and no-one else can boast the experience of two recent play-off finals. My main worry though is our mounting injury list. I hope Micky rests on Saturday anyone who has the slightest niggle and gives some ring rusty players a run-out. I wouldn't mind another "Maidstone". However, I think he will play our strongest side as we still have a chance of fifth and even fourth place - not that a higher finish is worth much, particularly as Newport are the form team.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We’d require a thumping win at Crawley to have any hope of coming 4th, while if Rovers and Newport lose and Exeter win comfortably at Forest Green we’d drop to 7th. Otherwise it’s 5th or 6th. I’m not sure home advantage in the second game is of great benefit playing FGR and I’d agree with BBTC on resting players with any injury.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Exeter can't finish above us. Sixth is the lowest we can finish, unless there is a fifteen goal swing between us and Newport in the final game.

drwhoman

I only saw the game on ifollow but I thought Monthe was our best player. As has been said previously in the comment stream, injuries have really affected our chances. Particularly in the second half our play became very scrappy and it needed a Perkins to put his foot on the ball and to organise the play. As others have said in relation to this game and, indeed, previous ones, MM is never in a rush to give substitutes a go. I am not sure Mullin touched the ball after he came on. Mind you, by then Bury were well and truly into wind the clock down mode!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Exeter can't finish above us. Sixth is the lowest we can finish, unless there is a fifteen goal swing between us and Newport in the final game.
Maths was never my strong point! It's most likely we'll be against Forest Green in the play-offs, but Mansfield and Milton Keynes other possibles.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Thank you all for the best wishes, really appreciate them.

Well it is the play offs which really is a fantastic achievement in our first season back at this level, the management team and players have done us all and the club proud.

Looking like being Forest Green we will play, the big problem for us regardless of our record against them is the injuries, however whatever team is put out will do a good job and hopefully get us to the final

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well it is the play offs which really is a fantastic achievement in our first season back at this level, the management team and players have done us all and the club proud.
Very true bigmart. There was probably a bit too much negatitivty after last night's game and we should take a step back and look how well we've done this season. In fact the first half of yesterday's game was one of the best 45 I've seen from Rovers this season so there is a lot to be pleased about too.

Anyway, once the final game is out of the way, we can all look forward to the playoffs. We have a great chance no matter who we play.

rossb07

Player
Adam Buxton
I’d have to agree Ian, I know some may see it as 2 points dropped but Bury aren’t exactly a team mid table that we should be beating but in fact a very good outfit for this level who by their own accounts on their forums some have claimed is their best side ever.
‘Things can only get better’ as a song once said, and we’re not bad now!

Player
ian goodison
as ian said it felt like a defeat but having said that last season FGR nearly got relegated so our achievement is brilliant, I thought last night ryan lowe was a bit more savvy as when he made the sub early on he went to a back 3 which shored up the mid-field, micky should have made the change at h/t either bringing Gilmore or mullin on but either case pringle should not have come out for the 2nd half, anyway it goes to show the quality of players you can buy if you bankrupt your club

Player
aldo
all i will say is WELL DONE TRANMERE AN AMAZING FIRST SEASON BACK. and an avg home gate 6552 is great . now one last big push. and see where we end up

ADD

Player
Norwood
Banks has probably got more assists for Norwood this season than any other player, with the possible exception of Jennings. He has been our main creative midfielder for the majority of the season and if he was as bad as some people above are making out, we would be nowhere near the play offs.

He is in the same category as Morrissey, Martindale and others, all of whom were scapegoated in their time.
Totally agreed RLC - he plays a great ball - his one to Jennings when Jennings fired it just wide was sublime - that said I understand Frenchrover as well. I think he needs someone along side him keeping him focussed and doing the hard work which no he doesn't do enough. No surprise that since Perkins has been injured Banks has I think been less effective. Hopefully Perkins will be fit for at least the playoffs (might be tempted to give him 30 minutes only on Saturday just to sharpen him up but not risk him for the full game). If he is then I think Banks will flourish alongside.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Had to watch the match on I Follow and yes whilst disappointed we couldn't get automatic it is still an impressive achievement and we must beat FGR at some point!! Bury are a v good side at this level ( we would be out of sight if we also broke the Bank to buy players in) so 1-1 I will take! We had chances to win sure but then so did they so overall a fair result I felt.
I thought Norwood looked far fitter last night so hopefully he is coming out of his fitness issue. Only player to disappoint I felt was Pringle who just doesn't seem to have the confidence to really go for it. Thought Harris was good again - yes he lost Mayor at the start of the goal but Mayor left several others for dead and frankly Mayor is too good for L2. The most impressive part of Harris's game since he came back in is he hasn't remotely looked like getting a booking. Fair play to him. I didn't think he was capable of changing! Delighted how Manny especially but also Sid played at the back. He has been very unlucky with his injuries during his spell with us but I think now settled he will not disappoint in the play offs. I thought once again MM did not make best use of the subs and also he left the subs too late. I would have brought on Gilmour at half time and Mullin earlier - did he actually touch the ball?
We can be proud of this season no matter what happens now but god let's beat FGR - that sort of team should not be in the league!

Player
Manager
John King
A lot of people are suggesting that Mellon is not proactive enough with substitutions (I agree they came too late last night). However, at Lincoln we changed personnel and formation at half time to get into the game and earn a point, and there are numerous other examples of him making changes mid-game to positive effect, not least at Wembley last year.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Not there last night, so can't disagree with the consensus. Generally think Micky is fairly tactically astute, the only game where he needed to change things earlier in my view was Forest Green at home, where we were getting swamped in midfield even before their goal.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A lot of people are suggesting that Mellon is not proactive enough with substitutions (I agree they came too late last night). However, at Lincoln we changed personnel and formation at half time to get into the game and earn a point, and there are numerous other examples of him making changes mid-game to positive effect, not least at Wembley last year.
Totally agree. If you are in any doubt that Micky can plan, motivate or adapt, you weren't at last year's playoff final.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Totally agree. If you are in any doubt that Micky can plan, motivate or adapt, you weren't at last year's playoff final.
Agreed although playing devils advocate here, I would say that was a forced change in personal and tactics as we were a man light after a few minutes so although he made some astute changes during that game it was a different scenario from last night.

Player
Manager
John King
Agreed although playing devils advocate here, I would say that was a forced change in personal and tactics as we were a man light after a few minutes so although he made some astute changes during that game it was a different scenario from last night.
That is not strictly true, as not all of the changes he made were enforced (ie. bringing Jennings on) and he still had to make the right changes. In any case, Mellon has regularly adapted tactics to good effect. He is probably the most tactically astute manager we have had in my time if supporting.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Norwood should have buried that chance late on.