• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Bury

Rovers v Bury
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, April 30, 2019 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Sadly due to family bereavement will have to miss tonights game, 1st home league game missed this season hope we can win going for 2 1

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Sorry to hear that mart. Morris, Pringle and rides start in a 442. Macca and Perkins on the bench.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sorry to hear of your loss, bigmart.

Probably the most adventurous line-up Micky could have started with. Zoum injured again?

Player
Manager
John King
Firstly, best wishes to Mart.

A frustrating evening. I thought the first half performance was excellent, with a good intensity and some really good football. We created several decent chances but could not get the second goal which you always thought would be vital against a Bury side with so many attacking options.

As expected, we were put under the cosh in the ten minute period after half time and the equaliser felt inevitable. We did get back into the game with some decent possession, and a couple of good chances for Norwood, but we never raised our play to the levels we would need to go on and win the match. Bury slowed the play down at every opportunity and we ran out of steam in the end: I thought we could have made changes earlier, perhaps mixing things up in midfield with Gilmour, and the introduction of Mullin came too late to make a difference.

Individually, I thought Morris and Jennings were excellent in the first half, and Monthe was immense throughout. Encouragingly, Nelson also had a really solid game alongside him. I thought Harris did a great man-marking job on Mayor in the first half, but was less effective in the second and lost his man in the build up to the equaliser. Nors worked his socks off as usual and deserved his goal. The injury to Caprice is the last thing we need and Buxton was less than convincing when he came on. I would say man of the match was between Morris and Monthe.

On to the play offs, where we will meet either FGR or MK Dons, probably the former.

Player
ian goodison
with a bit of luck & composure we could have been 3 up at h/t you could tell the players were up for it, 2nd half they flew out of the blocks and for a spell we were all over the place mullin should have replaced pringle at h/t if ever a player stole a wage he did he was dreadful, 2 full backs were way off the pace good displays from nelson/monthe in defence morris up front as well nors seemed back to nis best

Player
Manager
John King
Someone needs to tell banks that we play in white
I thought he was decent to be fair.

Yes, there were a lot of hopeful balls which did not come to anything, but also some great passes. The ball which put Norwood one-on-one in the first half was excellent and should have been finished to put us two up. He is the only player in the squad that is capable of those kind of passes.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Best wishes Mart.

Yes a frustrating evening but one that I thoroughly enjoyed. Seeing so much energy, passion and buzz around the place was great. I thought we were excellent first half and never gave Bury and chance to settle. They came out second half and showed their quality as they kept pushing for an equaliser is eventually arrived. Like RLC says we didn't quite have enough to see the game off but there was plenty about our performance to be pleased about. Harris was good but we are lacking a bit more quality in some areas due to injuries.

Strange situation really as in some ways I felt like we've lost, probably due to the Bury celebrations whereas in fact we have just booked our play in the playoffs and the exciting ride continues.

I agree with RLC re changes. Bringing Mullin on was too late and we could have done with some fresh legs. Nevertheless, it's was a good performance from Rovers and we should look forward to the playoffs.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Someone needs to tell banks that we play in white
He's quite a frustrating player to watch because like RLC says he can play some dangerous balls to our front men and then he'll play some really poor passes too. I'm wondering if he freezes a bit under the big lights, when the big games are on and the pressure ramps up do we really see the best of him?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
He's quite a frustrating player to watch because like RLC says he can play some dangerous balls to our front men and then he'll play some really poor passes too. I'm wondering if he freezes a bit under the big lights, when the big games are on and the pressure ramps up do we really see the best of him?

I think your spot on Ian. We saw against Oldham that he couldn’t cope and you do wonder if in the big games he can’t cope with the mental side of it.

Forest green it looks like then

Player
Manager
John King
I think your spot on Ian. We saw against Oldham that he couldn’t cope and you do wonder if in the big games he can’t cope with the mental side of it.

Forest green it looks like then
I just think he is inconsistent; I did not see any signs of nerves tonight, as in the Oldham games.

He has the ability to play at a higher level than League Two, but has probably always been a bit hit and miss.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
In the morning I'll see that more as the point that clinched playoffs than autos lost.
We looked good first half, Jay was excellent as we're the two centre backs.
But in honesty Bury could have been out of sight after 10 mins of second half. Only Scottie and woodwork saved us.
At 1-1 though only a point blank save with his legs by Murphy kept Nors out - definitely a what if moment.
Whilst there were a few guilty parties easily giving away possession in second half, I agree with Sparky that Ollie was the worse culprit.
As disappointing as anything in the second half was the crowd. The equaliser seemed to be greeted with some sort of resignation and it was far too quiet when we had a couple of corners and the chance to turn up the volume.
At least Saturday will be a bit more relaxing now and.... we're in the play offs. Woo hoo!!!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While if you'd have offered a play-off place for Rovers last August, hands would have been snapped off, now there's a tinge of disappointment that it could have been even better. Whatever happens now,it's been a good season for us, although the injuries mounting up are reminiscent of the campaign 2 seasons ago, halted at Wembley by Forest Green.

Bury are undoubtedly a good footballing side, but it sticks in the craw that they've again got a promotion on the back of money they don't really have.

It is a concern that a number of players aren't in good form approaching the play-offs. Banks and Pringle have been mentioned and Norwood hasn't been fully fit for the last few games, but seems to be getting back to his best and has ended his personal goal drought. How bad did the injury to Caprice look, as we seem to be running out of defensive options?

Interesting decisions for MM to take on how to approach Saturday's game now.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yep Harris did very well but totally lost mayor in the lead up to the goal. To be fair mayor is too good for
League 2.

Monthe was very good. Morris worked hard but I thought Pringle once again flattered to deceive. He contributes very little as is a bit of a luxury player I feel. We’re so
Reliant on Nors that we need more
Input from our wide men and Jennings too

Player
Manager
John King
Bury are undoubtedly a good footballing side, but it sticks in the craw that they've again got a promotion on the back of money they don't really have.
I agree completely with this, particularly as their best player by far - Mayor - would be nowhere near their squad if they had not ridiculously overspent.

I think it is an overstatement to say several players are out of form. Several players played very well tonight - Nors, Jennings, Morris, Caprice (in my view), both centre backs - plus we will have Perkins for the play off games. The second half was poorer than the first but we were up against a quality side.

In the last two games we have matched the top two teams in the division, which is something to give the players credit for.

Reactions: Ian

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Banks is a luxury player who can occasionally play a quality pass, without a doubt, but far too often will find an opposition player with a misplaced one or be easily dispossessed whilst trying to be too clever in possession of the ball. His work rate, particularly in tracking back or when one of his passes go astray, is really poor, in fact totally unacceptable … its a shrug of the shoulders, a shake of the head and someone else can sort it out. We cannot afford in games of such intensity to have to carry players like him. If Perkins was fit enough to make the bench tonight he should have been used to replace Banks before the game slipped away from us. Man of the match, for me, was either Monthe or Morris, although great shifts were put in by Harris, Nelson and Jennings. As disappointing as the result was, particularly in respect of the automatic dream, I thought the result was most probably a fair one overall.

Player
Manager
John King
Banks has probably got more assists for Norwood this season than any other player, with the possible exception of Jennings. He has been our main creative midfielder for the majority of the season and if he was as bad as some people above are making out, we would be nowhere near the play offs.

He is in the same category as Morrissey, Martindale and others, all of whom were scapegoated in their time.