• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Bury

Rovers v Bury
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, April 30, 2019 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
You just couldn't have written those scores today. Fair play to those teams that did us favours today even though there was nothing in it for them.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Mad! Still in with a chance of automatic promotion but not guaranteed a play off place!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Just shows you that nerves now play a part, speaking of which, I'm going to be very nervous for Tues game.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
What an unpredictable set of results!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Yeovil are down after leading 2-0. FGR now play-offs only.

The best possible set of results for us. As things stand, we are still in with a chance of automatic promotion. This is what needs to happen.

1. We need to win our last two matches.
2, EITHER Bury lose at home to Port Vale OR Mansfield and MK Dons draw their match.

However, if Bury win on Tuesday, they can celebrate at our expense and at our ground.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop

The best possible set of results for us. As things stand, we are still in with a chance of automatic promotion. This is what needs to happen.

2, EITHER Bury lose at home to Port Vale OR Mansfield and MK Dons draw their match.

However, if Bury win on Tuesday, they can celebrate at our expense and at our ground.
It would be brilliant if we could deny Bury's celebrations on Tuesday and take it to an incredibly exciting last day!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King

Bury actually only need a point on Tuesday, which could change the dynamic of the game.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Bury actually only need a point on Tuesday, which could change the dynamic of the game.
Yes, that's the only downside of these results. If we don't win, you must wonder what would have happened if the game had been played today in decent conditions. But you can't have it all. ;)

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, that's the only downside of these results. If we don't win, you must wonder what would have happened if the game had been played today in decent conditions. But you can't have it all. ;)
It might play in to our hands, as Bury are nowhere near as good defensively as they are going forward.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Could Bury's winding-up petition, postponed until 15 May, have any bearing on the promotion race? Could they be docked points this season? If so, what would happen, given that the play-off semis would already have been played?

Player
Manager
John King
Could Bury's winding-up petition, postponed until 15 May, have any bearing on the promotion race? Could they be docked points this season? If so, what would happen, given that the play-off semis would already have been played?
Any punishment would probably come into force next season, so I doubt there will any benefit for us. If they go into administration over the summer, this season's points total would be unaffected.

Either way, just let's focus on Tuesday night, which is an incredible opportunity few of us expected.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Wouldn't want to finish above bucket shakers just because they'd had points deducted (which won't happen). Jeez..... they'd raise that chestnut for eternity!
Anyone else feel more confident now, midweek under the lights? Tuesday nights haven't been particularly kind to us though.
If it ultimately goes pear shaped, the ramifications won't be anything like they would have been last season.
Great gesture from the club to send all the catering food to good causes and those fans who volunteered to deliver.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Unsure if it makes things easier or harder for us, but the results will have taken a great deal of pressure off Bury.

Player
Manager
John King
Unsure if it makes things easier or harder for us, but the results will have taken a great deal of pressure off Bury.
I am not sure that is true. Knowing they only need a point could increase their anxiety (look at today's events). I don't think they are capable of playing defensively, so I doubt it will change their approach.

On the other hand, we now have massive additional motivation.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes. We have no excuse not to go for it on Tuesday with a hell if a lot to play for. Even though we are the home side, I think Bury will feel the pressure.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I am not sure that is true. Knowing they only need a point could increase their anxiety (look at today's events). I don't think they are capable of playing defensively, so I doubt it will change their approach.

On the other hand, we now have massive additional motivation.
I think Bury would back themselves to get at least a point from their home game with Port Vale and so the game against us is like a free-hit. Agree that they are likely to adopt an attacking approach as that's what they're best equiped to do.

Of todays results, while the Mansfield and Milton Keynes defeats were unexpected, they were up against opponents with something to play for themselves. Forest Green losing at Crewe was a shock though.

Player
Manager
John King
I think Bury would back themselves to get at least a point from their home game with Port Vale and so the game against us is like a free-hit.
They will still be feeling the pressure on Tuesday. We are a good side, with an excellent home record and they will know a defeat is possible. They would then need a result on the final day and, as we have seen, anything can happen in ninety minutes of football.

I would rather focus on ourselves. We will be backed by a massive crowd, and have a motivation to win the game that we did not realistically have at 3pm today.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
How many do you think will be there on Tuesday night? Personally, it's unlikely I'll make it and suspect that there will be a fair few ST holders and others with tickets now unable to make the game. You'd expect a good turnout from Bury, given they may seal their promotion on the night.

Player
Manager
John King
How many do you think will be there on Tuesday night? Personally, it's unlikely I'll make it and suspect that there will be a fair few ST holders and others with tickets now unable to make the game. You'd expect a good turnout from Bury, given they may seal their promotion on the night.
I would still expect a crowd of 10,000 plus. The match is arguably bigger for both clubs than it was at 3pm this afternoon.