• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Friendly Rovers v Burnley

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Well the fears of a hammering totally unfounded, sounds like a decent performance against a near strength Premier league team.

Will be interesting to hear what Micky has to say about more signings as they are needed quickly

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
2-1 Burnley, thirty yard strike from McNeil who has been outstanding by the sound of it. Harsh on Rovers.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Well the results doesn’t matter too much as it sounds like a good display against a strong opponent.

As RLC says great to have KP on the scoresheet, especially as I don’t think any of our strikers have scored in open play across all the friendlies played.

Player
Manager
John King
It sounded really encouraging. The Burnley commentators were particularly impressed with the interplay of the front four, the centre halves and Cogley. They also reckoned we should sign the 'trialist', which I am sure we will. We just seemed to flag a bit at the end when the youngsters came on.

I think the first eleven to fifteen players is easily good enough, minus a striker. We just need that centre forward and three or four more bodies to bulk out the squad.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sounds promising chaps. Duffy I hope we sign as he can definitely do some damage in league two. Let’s pray for a striker!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes I agree. There are a lot of positives in that squad but we need more of a goal threat. Only friendlies but we’ve scored 1 v Warrington, 1 today (strong opponent), 1 v rangers, 0 v Sunderland and 3 against staylebridge.

Some decent sides there of course and only friendlies. Maybe I’m greedy

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Pleased with that performance, feared we might get turned over by a strong Burnley side, by the sounds of it battled hard and unlucky to lose.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The take from pre-season seems to be that we can defend well against anyone, but struggle to create and more importantly take chances. I assume we were set up today to allow for the fact we don't have any prolific goalscorers. I think we have 90% of a very good L2 squad with arguably the best manager in the division. Monday is a new month, so we should see Duffy announced and hopefully another pacy winger and a marquee striker. Well, I can only hope. ;)

Player
Manager
John King
The take from pre-season seems to be that we can defend well against anyone, but struggle to create and more importantly take chances. I assume we were set up today to allow for the fact we don't have any prolific goalscorers. I think we have 90% of a very good L2 squad with arguably the best manager in the division. Monday is a new month, so we should see Duffy announced and hopefully another pacy winger and a marquee striker. Well, I can only hope. ;)
I think we created plenty of chances today, against a good team. We had a goal disallowed and missed other opportunities.

There is plenty of creativity in the squad, it is a finisher we are lacking.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I am pretty sure in previous years they at least had lists of names which they ticked off as the tickets were handed out, but I did not see any evidence of that yesterday.
The club has quite a list of supporters and guests and the odd away fan. If you've been in to shop, or if you phone the shop for tickets, they check to see the right information.
This must be the fourth or fifth ticket allocation company we have used in the last decade. Don't forget with this computer system, it is the information uploaded that it uses. Human error here I think. Or cheap as chips!
Anyway, the volunteer system works if you have a supervisor who is skilled in what the job requires. Perhaps, the reduction in full time staff when covid hit, has had a knock on effect. A lot of new employees and volunteers are doing this work now.
The experience of those is probably missing.

Anyway, good run out for the lads, beaten by a screamer. Not long now!
Getting excited.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Hey guys remember how bad preseason was last season. Complete shambles!
Well this season I reckon that is an excellent preseason. Yes some more goals would be nice but we have been ever so solid and the fact we got to play Burnley firsts was an excellent turn up I believe.
Murphy seems to have gelled with the new back line who have been very good by all accounts and again today he seems to have made some excellent saves from the Twitter feed so I think we will be very difficult to beat. Yes we need a first choice striker but we are in a far better place than this time last year....
Think we will start well even as we are.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The only concern I have is were the goals will come from and more depth needed in the squad otherwise we look pretty strong.

From Micky's interview besides Duffy it seems other signings may take bit more time.

Player
Manager
John King
The only concern I have is were the goals will come from and more depth needed in the squad otherwise we look pretty strong.

From Micky's interview besides Duffy it seems other signings may take bit more time.
It sounds like he is waiting to secure first choice targets, rather than accept second choices he is less keen on.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The transfer window will not shut for another five weeks. Yes, I know the season starts next Saturday, but I expect we may get some signings announced on Monday and one or two loans during August. Unusually, we have only one loanee so far (Glatzel) but they tend to arrive late. I'm bit apprehensive but have faith that MP and MM will get some decent players (including an experienced striker) without robbing the bank.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Caught up with the goals;

NKP cute header that the defender on the line couldn't clear. I don't expect him to be a regular scorer going by his past record.

Barnes equaliser. good cross into the box, which Barnes ran onto and headed in. Questions about the marking and wasn't challenged for the ball.

McNeil winner unstoppable volley.

I don't disagree with what's been said above about where we are with the season about to start and it's obviously Micky's choice to wait for the players he wants. That's not without risk, particularly given our lack of a proven reasonably prolific striker at present.

Player
Manager
John King
Knight Percival is more aggressive and more of a threat from set plays than Monthe was. Even if he does not score from the first contact, he will cause problems for the opposing defence.

I can't remember Monthe ever scoring a header from a set play.

It was good movement from Barnes and we won't come up against a striker of his calibre in League Two.

Last edited: