• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Brewers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
What's the evidence to back that up? I've no idea of the accuracy of your assertion though a little surprised if 'considerably greater' is correct.

I think it is widely accepted that they have one of the highest wage budgets in the division; about 500k bigger than ours, apparently. Their owners bankroll them and I doubt Hasselbaink would have taken the job if they were surviving on gate receipts alone. The quality of their squad suggests they have invested heavily.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Regarding the crowd, quite a few left after their third and then quite a few more on their fourth. People who I've never seen leave early shot out of their seat when the final goal went in.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think it is widely accepted that they have one of the highest wage budgets in the division; about 500k bigger than ours, apparently. Their owners bankroll them and I doubt Hasselbaink would have taken the job if they were surviving on gate receipts alone. The quality of their squad suggests they have invested heavily.
I've sounded out a Burton fan, who's also surprised at this and reckons Luton and Portsmouth would have bigger budgets. Given the money they threw around in pre-season, I'd suggest Shrewsbury too. With the funding that Adams has been allowed to pay off contracts and recruit, my guess would be Rovers are now around mid-table in the L2 spending league.

Ian's right about departures after the Burton 4th goal. Suspect it was the inept, almost comical nature of it that made people decide they'd had enough.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes the Kop really started to empty once that 4th goal went in. I havent left early for years but the almost farcial nature of the last goal (with the hapless Dugdale once again involved in a defensive mix up), meant I had to go at that stage.

I think Micky needs to try and take positives from it. I thought we did ok against the current best team in the league. 4-1 flattered them and it could have been so different. Confidence will have taken another battering but we didnt expect anything from the game so anything would have been a bonus.

The big game is this Saturday which is more winnable. If we play like we did against Burton we'll have a much better chance of getting the points. Won't repeat points except to say I felt sorry for Donnelly who was poor as a winger and totally out of position. What must Swansea think. He has to play up alongside Kayode - even if it means Kirby plays wide or Molyneux. Donnelly also may be the next penalty taker if we get any more. He is a natural goalscorer IMO.

Lets move on from Saturday and hope the lads forget about it and focus totally on Wimbledon (Although I am already worrying about how the defence will cope with Akinfenwa!)

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir

out of interest which players would you think they have will be on good money? Personally I think they are a well organised, well coached and a good team/squad but im not that sure they've got many big earners.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I've sounded out a Burton fan, who's also surprised at this and reckons Luton and Portsmouth would have bigger budgets. Given the money they threw around in pre-season, I'd suggest Shrewsbury too. With the funding that Adams has been allowed to pay off contracts and recruit, my guess would be Rovers are now around mid-table in the L2 spending league.

The fact Luton, Portsmouth and Shrewsbury have bigger budgets (as would be expected) does not make Burton's small. I agree that we have a mid-table budget and are under-performing, but according to a club official prior to our away fixture with the Brewers, Burton's is 500 k bigger. Added to which, we obviously did not begin the season with a healthy budget and our summer player recruitment was fairly shambolic.

In answer to Mart, I would guess Akins, McGurk, Beavon, Sherriff, Mousinho and Cuvelier will all be on decent money for this level, but Burton also have a decent squad size, with 28 permanent players.

Having a stable, settled squad also obviously helps them, something we have lacked despite splashing the cash in January (partly due to errors by the management, partly down to circumstance).