• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Braintree Town

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Brabin's interview has just appeared on the website. And there I was getting my hopes up. Bugger.

I don't want to alarm anybody, but in the last ten league games we have picked up eight points. If we repeat that form until the end of the season, we will get about 50-51 points which might not keep us in the division. Never mind missing out on the play-offs, we could have a relegation battle on our hands if he remains in charge.

If GB is staying, I dread the Wrexham game next week. If we perform as we have been doing we will take a hammering and I think the Rovers fans will vote with their feet (expect a gate of about 1,500).

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Dont mention the dreaded r word RLC ;)

I won't be able to get to the game on Sat and I'm seeing it as welcome break.

Sounds like GB doesn't really have any answers and doesn't know how to motivate the players. He's giving us problems but not actually coming up with any solutions.

Player
Achto
its defo sad times when the town end ball boy gets the 2 biggest cheers in 70 mins of game time. :(

At the end of the day Palios will need to weigh up the finances of getting rid of Brabin against the fall in revenue from falling gates.
I'm sure we have such a strong squad based on the 4-7k gate from an expected top 3 side, but as we free fall the gates will too. Palios will have to balance the negative balance once the gate fall too 1.5-2k per game.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
There is no point wasting more time with Brabin as manager as he is clearly not upto the job and should be sacked, however the length og time it took to sack Adams last season worries me that he will be allowed to continue in the job a while longer yet

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Yesterday we were absolutely appalling, no shape to the side, no passion and no skill, apart from Mekki in the first half. The midfield was non-existant both defensively and in any attacking sense too. How Jennings has retained his position in the side beggars belief. We have a central defender in McNulty, brought in by Brabin supposedly to add composure to the side who is in fact a liability, so fat he is immobile and so grossly overweight he just cannot get off the ground to win the easiest of headers. The number of times he was turned, and outpaced yesterday were too numerous to count. With him playing our central defence is wide open, particularly when subjected to the counter-attack. If it hadn't been for some great reaction saves fron Davies we would have lost by a bigger margin. It was embarrassing to be well and truly turned over by a team of part-timers.
I too, like RLC, was hoping that the delay in the post-match interview heralded the end of Brabin's reign but sadly that does not now appear to be the case. I also agree with Bigmart that enough is enough, Brabin has had more than time to sort this out, he must go.
It is a very sad turn of events that after following Rovers for over 50 years, home and away, through thick and thin, I want us to lose next Saturday in the Micky Mouse cup because hopefully that will see the end of Brabin.If not it will, like the fortuitous win against Guisely, simply paper over the cracks.
All of the good work off the field done by the Palios's will count for nought when the gates really start to fall, all the goodwill and optimism generated when they took over is already beginning to evaporate with every shambolic performance by this team put together by Brabin.
All the improvements to the physical fabric around ground will count for nought, in the long term, if we are unable to recruit the next generation of supporters into the ground on match days, and the only way to do that is to have an entertaining and moderately successful side. Under Brabin
we have neither of these.

Player
Manager
John King
FrenchRover, I would never want us to lose a game, but I know exactly where you are coming from. Palios is doing great things off the pitch, and I am very thankful he stepped in to the breach when Johnson got out. However, on the field his decision making has been seriously suspect. You could even argue we made a better fist of the playing side with a shoestring budget under PJ.

As I have said earlier, I am concerned we are repeating the errors of last season in standing by a useless manager for longer than we should, and even (apparently) giving him more money to pour down the drain in the transfer market in January.

Palios is obviously an astute businessman, but running a football club (on the playing side) is unlike any other business and he has no direct experience in this area.

Last edited:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yep. We need some decisions being made on the playing field ahead of the New Year's Eve ball and latest TRFC shop offers :rolleyes:

Annoyingly it's still not too late to make changes however we would be in the old vicious circle of who do we think would want to come and manage this shambles of a club?

Player
Manager
John King
Annoyingly it's still not too late to make changes however we would be in the old vicious circle of who do we think would want to come and manage this shambles of a club?

There would be plenty of interest in the job as, whatever our current difficulties, we are the biggest club in non league football, with a decent budget and an ambitious chairman.

Added to which, virtually anyone could do better than Brabin on his performance so far.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Firstly the match. After taking the lead through a slightly fortuitous Mekki effort, we were quickly pegged back by a quickly taken throw-in and McNulty left exposed at the back unable to close out their striker,who finished well. A quick free-kick, saw the visitors carve open our defence again and another cool finish from Akinola put the visitors ahead. Norwood had a good chance to level at the end of the half, but shot straight at their keeper. Brabin replaced Ridehalgh with Dawson for the second half [personally I'd have taken Hill off and moved Ridehalgh to left-back instead], but despite a few good runs from the sub and one quality cross, it wasn't a game-changer. For the first part of the second half, the visitors were on top. Even when they tired and defended deeper towards the end of the game, Braintree still looked dangerous on the break, while Rovers failed to convert the chances that came our way. Akinola got applauded by the home Paddock when he was subbed and after (a slightly harsh imo) chant of "you're not fit to wear the shirt",as Rovers exited at full-time, the visiting players were also applauded off by the home crowd. They had been the better-organised and more skilful of the teams and aside from a spot of time-wasting, hadn't resorted to the cynical approach of a couple of other visitors to PP this season. Their victory was totally deserved.

Next the players. This game was a good illustration of how we failed to play as a team, whereas our opponents clearly did. It is pointless having better quality individuals, if they don't fit together as a unit.

Davies; Think a quick throw-out, which didn't come off led to their equaliser. After that he generally kicked the ball, one decent save and amongst the less culpable.
Hill; Poor going forward, aimless punts and never tried to carry the ball. His legs seem to have gone.
McNulty; Lack of pace and poor positioning defensively. Played a couple of good long-balls, but body language suggested he wanted to be somewhere else.
Sutton; One of Brabin's scapegoats, his confidence seems shot. One good challenge to get McNulty out of a hole.
Vaughan; Switched off a bit for the throw-in which led to the equaliser and at times was drawn towards the centre, but did try to play the ball on the deck.
Ridehalgh; As Sutton, without the saving tackle.
Jennings; No on-field leadership. Involved in a stupid argument with the referee about the free-kick, which led to their winner instead of getting into position.
Maynard; Dismal, as illustrated by the aimless header and punt in the air, which ultimately led to their winning free-kick.
Mekki; Sponsors MoM. Scored the goal, worked hard with little end-product otherwise and seemed to cop more than his fair share of flak.
Norwood; Put a shift in, but not clinical enough.
Mangan; Seemed below par yesterday
Dawson; Given he was returning from injury did fairly well.

Finally the manager. I went to the pre-match Trust meeting yesterday, where Mark Palios was the special guest. The remarks were along the lines that MP was disappointed with how we were performing, the target was to make the play-offs and too early to write us off. My impression was that things will have to deteriorate significantly for Brabin to be replaced.

Personally, I would like him gone now. With Rob Edwards and John Barnes' sides, you could see what the manager was trying to get the side to do, even if with the former it was using a woefully weak squad and the latter it was a bloody stupid idea anyway. However with Brabin, there was nothing apparent; just throw together a bunch with conference promotion history and hope it will stick together and deliver the goods. Little coaching/tactical guidance on match-day, even more obvious, when Braintree's PE teacher manager was constantly giving his side advice or instruction. When the plan B of slinging Dawson on didn't work, why not try something else? Kirby, who ought to have started yesterday, could have replaced either Maynard as attacking midfielder or Mangan up front or Tomlinson for Mangan were the most obvious options.

RLC maths on where we'll end up on current form is alarming. I'll be missing Wrexham for other reasons, but even if there was the option to go, I wouldn't bother.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Boz you sum it all up pretty well.

I like many season ticket holders haven't missed a game this season. But there is no way I'm going next Saturday unless changes happen. Couldn't give a monkeys about the FA trophy.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
A really good analysis Boz, however, if I'm being picky I would point out that McNulty who as you say was lamentably slow trying to get back for Braintree's opener was also woeful in trying to prevent Akinola from scoring the winner. As the match video shows has was like a beached whale stumbling around allowing the Braintree man time to turn him and slot home from a difficult angle. On a number of other occasions, particularly in the second half when Braintree were hitting us on the counter attack, McNulty was turned time and time again. Why Brabin brought him in, supposedly to help stabilise the defence, beggers belief as all that has happened since his arrival is that a half-decent central defence has been drained of confidence and motivation. This, together with delaying signing a recognised right-back for six months, just about sums up Brabin's inability to assemble and manage a successful team. He really has to go.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
From the latest official excuse sheet :

Garnett says that there is a lot of hard work to be done to help push Rovers back up the National League standings.

He added: "Hard work is the most important thing, we need to make sure we work harder than the opposition so we'll be working hard in training to right these wrongs.

"We'll be doing a lot of unit work, working with the defenders and the strikers. Hopefully, we'll then be able to put the two together and get an end product which is winning games."

Could I suggest Shaun you take a long hard look at the non-existent MIDFIELD.....perhaps that's where one of your main problems lie. Get it sorted!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
From the latest official excuse sheet :

Garnett says that there is a lot of hard work to be done to help push Rovers back up the National League standings.

He added: "Hard work is the most important thing, we need to make sure we work harder than the opposition so we'll be working hard in training to right these wrongs.

"We'll be doing a lot of unit work, working with the defenders and the strikers. Hopefully, we'll then be able to put the two together and get an end product which is winning games."

Could I suggest Shaun you take a long hard look at the non-existent MIDFIELD.....perhaps that's where one of your main problems lie. Get it sorted!
100% agree, frenchrover.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They must be doing something wrong with all this hard training because I see no difference from one week to the next.

They must think we come from the same planet Andy Doyle comes from.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
frenchrover, totally agree with your observations on our lack of midfield.

Mark Palios said at the Trust meeting that the idea of bringing in McNulty was to try and play out from the back. I'd agree he had a dismal game on Saturday, just as he was one of our better players at Borehamwood. Whether Brabin is capable of organising the side to play to his strengths and mitigate his weaknesses I don't know. However, I did expect a more passionate and enthusiatic player than the one who's beached at PP.

Player
Manager
John King
A really good analysis Boz, however, if I'm being picky I would point out that McNulty who as you say was lamentably slow trying to get back for Braintree's opener was also woeful in trying to prevent Akinola from scoring the winner.

I thought Jennings was chiefly culpable in the build up to the second goal to be honest. When he should have been standing on the ball to prevent a quick free quick, he was remonstrating with the referee. As a result, Braintree got in on our back four in two passes.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
McNulty is a difficult one because I like his composure and the fact that he does play the ball on the floor but he is ridiculously slow and any mistake can prove costly. A tricky fast forward could run rings around him.

However I still think our main problems are in midfield and up front.

Player
Manager
John King
After tonight's games we are now eight points behind Grimsby in fifth, who also have a game in hand.

We are going to have to concentrate on the FA Trophy this season.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
McNulty is a difficult one because I like his composure and the fact that he does play the ball on the floor but he is ridiculously slow and any mistake can prove costly. A tricky fast forward could run rings around him.

However I still think our main problems are in midfield and up front.
I'm reasonably happy with the back five and the cover we have. Our defence would have been less of a problem if the strikers had been a little more deadly and the midfield had given them better service.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
After tonight's games we are now eight points behind Grimsby in fifth, who also have a game in hand.

We are going to have to concentrate on the FA Trophy this season.
As things stand, I'd take midtable and a Wembley trip, but as I think you said elsewhere RLC, Wrexham will be a difficult hurdle. If only we could have played better in the FA Cup, we could have earned another trip to Goodison Park, which would have paid for half a new team.