• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Bolton

Rovers v Bolton
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, August 17, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 17, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Talk about getting thrown under the bus.
I did have some sympathy for their young lads. It is not ethical to expect them to play twice a week against grown men, and both Bolton and the EFL are failing in their duty of care.

Morris was excellent at Portsmouth as well. A very underrated player.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
After a fairly quiet opening half hour, where Ferrier escaped a sending-off, things picked up with the two goals in quick succession. We survived what Bolton threw at us in their best spell and the third goal, just after the break effectively ended the game.

I’ll comment player by player below, accepting that for some of them it’s purely a first impression, so a bad game today doesn’t make them a bad player.

Davies. Little to do.

Ridehalgh. Steady.

Monthe. Very calm, used his strength well.

Ray. Agree with Sparky, hard to see him on this showing as an upgrade on Nelson. There were a few cushioned headers into a no-mans land of midfield which surrendered possession and a stupid booking for pulling their player back.

Wilson. Decent defensively, but felt his distribution and crossing were patchy today.

Blackett-Taylor. Encouraging, some decent ball and runs

Perkins. What’s come to be expected, good work rate and distribution. Didn’t get his spat with Morris though.

Banks. In games like this, where his main role is attacking, he looks decent. Only player to really test the keeper before his opener, created chances for team-mates and then put us in front. Less of the clever stuff not coming off than usual.

Morris. Involved in setting up a couple of the goals, didn’t convert a chance to get himself on the scoresheet and worked hard.

Jennings. Steady game, kept battling away, got himself on the scoresheet.

Ferrier. Think he let himself get rattled too easily and another day, he’s not on the pitch to get the pair of goals, both decent finishes, but his second using his strength then placing it out of the keeper’s reach was the pick for me.

Mullin. Worked hard would his shot have gone in without Payne’s intervention? Will need to see that again.

Payne. Unsure. He got lucky for his goal, but failed to convert a one-on-one late on

Nelson. Isn’t a right-back and struggled.

MoM. The fact the 3 sponsors all picked different players suggests that nobody was outstanding. My top 3 would be Monthe, Morris, but just edging it for setting us on our way, would opt for Ollie Banks.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree that Ray was a bit sloppy today, but he was actually better than Manny in the first three games. I don't have a strong preference re. Ray and Sid, but I think George has done enough to keep his place in the team.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Big manny played well but I was surprised a defender got mom in a 5-0 win!! A few too many beers for the sponsors I reckon.

I’ve criticised banks a lot but he undoubtably has quality and we need him closer to the opposition goal as he is capable of scoring from distance or like today. If we’re only playing one recognised striker then is all the more crucial - as long as we have defensive midfield options behind him.

Back to ray, he wasn’t great in possession and a bigger test on Tuesday you would think

Player
Manager
John King
I would go back to 433 / 451 for Tuesday night, with Potter in the holding role. I think the system we used today would be too open away at Bristol and we need to have reasonable control in the middle of the pitch, as at Portsmouth.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree that Ray was a bit sloppy today, but he was actually better than Manny in the first three games. I don't have a strong preference re. Ray and Sid, but I think George has done enough to keep his place in the team.

With the benefit of the other games you've seen, why do you think Ray is ahead of Nelson, given Manny and Sid had played together reasonably well at the end of last season? I don't think Sid Nelson is the finished article, quite raw at times, but not almost casual as George Ray was at times today.

Player
Manager
John King
With the benefit of the other games you've seen, why do you think Ray is ahead of Nelson, given Manny and Sid had played together reasonably well at the end of last season? I don't think Sid Nelson is the finished article, quite raw at times, but not almost casual as George Ray was at times today.
I don't think there is an obvious reason; both players are vocal and confident and natural organisers. I just think Ray played well in pre-season and keeps the shirt for the time being.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
We all know Mickey doesn't make changes for changes sake. I doubt a few attempted Macca esque headers will see Ray dropped. Sid is going to have to bide his time and grab any chance that comes his way.
He only needs to look at Ellis last season.

Player
aldo
see Norwood missed a pen today when was the last one he took for us must have been 2 years ago when we missed loads of them . glad he got one . great to sea the ferry man get off the mark . lets hope its the start of somthing great

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
CK, I wouldn’t expect Micky to drop Ray on the basis of one below par performance, especially if he’s done fine in the other games. Although there has been some fluidity in team selection further up the park.

AM, Nors took and scored the penalty in our final league game at Crawley last season. Cook is currently out injured at Mansfield.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
I would go back to 433 / 451 for Tuesday night, with Potter in the holding role. I think the system we used today would be too open away at Bristol and we need to have reasonable control in the middle of the pitch, as at Portsmouth.

Micky will almost certainly resort to your proposed 433/451 on Tuesday night, RLC, but I don't believe that that is the best formation for the Bristol Rovers match. I have never understood why managers, in the modern game, adopt the Pavlovian attitude of "keeping it tight" away from home and playing more "expansively" at home. It's a psychologically inexplicable phenomenon.

Bristol Rovers have started the season poorly and we need to get at them from the off with an attacking formation.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
I did have some sympathy for their young lads. It is not ethical to expect them to play twice a week against grown men, and both Bolton and the EFL are failing in their duty of care.

Morris was excellent at Portsmouth as well. A very underrated player.

The responsibility for putting out a team of post-pubescent adolescents lies entirely with Bolton Wanderers football club. Apparently, Phil Parkinson was humbugging that the game should not have gone ahead! Whose fault was that? Is the EFL or the opposing team responsible for Bolton's predicament? Of course not. Thank goodness the EFL saw sense and ensured that the game was played. Two games in a week? Poor little things! I would even argue that energy levels are higher and inter-match recovery times lower for 18-22 years old by comparison with a team of 25-35 year olds. So sorry, no sympathy from me on this one.

Regarding Morris, I do think he is at his best played out wide on the wing although he is not a 'natural' winger (somewhat ironic). He has many qualities but 'underrated', I'm not so sure. He's a quintessentially Micky-type player. Functional, hard-working. He fits into Micky's 'system.' And his stats are probably very good. But he's not exactly a player with flair. And I think he has probably reached his full potential at League 1 level. At this stage of our rebuilding phase, I would have him in the side but it would be interesting to revisit this conversation at Christmas.

Player
Manager
John King
The responsibility for putting out a team of post-pubescent adolescents lies entirely with Bolton Wanderers football club. Apparently, Phil Parkinson was humbugging that the game should not have gone ahead! Whose fault was that? Is the EFL or the opposing team responsible for Bolton's predicament? Of course not. Thank goodness the EFL saw sense and ensured that the game was played. Two games in a week? Poor little things! I would even argue that energy levels are higher and inter-match recovery times lower for 18-22 years old by comparison with a team of 25-35 year olds. So sorry, no sympathy from me on this one.

Regarding Morris, I do think he is at his best played out wide on the wing although he is not a 'natural' winger (somewhat ironic). He has many qualities but 'underrated', I'm not so sure. He's a quintessentially Micky-type player. Functional, hard-working. He fits into Micky's 'system.' And his stats are probably very good. But he's not exactly a player with flair. And I think he has probably reached his full potential at League 1 level. At this stage of our rebuilding phase, I would have him in the side but it would be interesting to revisit this conversation at Christmas.
Morris actually has excellent technique and retains the ball well. He does not really have the ability to beat a full back, but that does not mean he can't be effective as an old fashioned 'inside forward' rather than an orthodox winger. I think he would actually do a decent job in the number ten role. He has played virtually his entire career in League One and if you think he will be going anywhere in January, you will be sadly disappointed. I maintain that it is unethical to expect sixteen and seventeen year olds to play two games per week against experienced professionals. It can't be good for their development, physically or mentally, and the EFL do share some of the responsibility for allowing that situation to arise. Any club without eleven fit professionals at the start of the season should not be allowed to participate in the league.

Player
Manager
John King
Micky will almost certainly resort to your proposed 433/451 on Tuesday night, RLC, but I don't believe that that is the best formation for the Bristol Rovers match. I have never understood why managers, in the modern game, adopt the Pavlovian attitude of "keeping it tight" away from home and playing more "expansively" at home. It's a psychologically inexplicable phenomenon.

Bristol Rovers have started the season poorly and we need to get at them from the off with an attacking formation.
We have not been able to keep a clean sheet against a real League One side so far this season and Bristol Rovers away is a tough proposition for us at the current stage of our development, regardless of whether Bristol have dropped a couple of points.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I very one sided game and much needed confidence booster with the win, Ferrier to me looked to be lucky to stay on the pitch but took his goals well especially the second, Banks mainly had a good game but I thought Morris was very good today, he retained possession very well and had a hand in a couple of the games.

Onto Bristol on Tuesday, if we can get a point we will start to gain some momentum.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks for the reports chaps. Gutted I missed a Bolton drubbing albeit against a bunch of kids.

The goals should give the team some confidence going into Tues which will be another tough game.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I agree with RLC that because of their lack of playing personnel, there’s an argument they shouldn’t have been allowed to start the season. I’ve no expertise on the physical impact of making a team of youngsters play two games in a week, but once Bolton are in the league there is the expectation that should be able to meet the fixture demands. It would have been wrong for our game to be called off.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The unfair thing is that if Bolton are taken over and get new funds before the transfer deadline, they can bring in new players and be more competitive. If so, any games played after that will be less of a pushover. On the other hand, if they fold we will lose the three points from yesterday.

Player
aldo
have you seen the video of dave higgins going wild . god you can,t but love him a true rovers legend

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I see Bolton have called off their next game v Doncaster due to concerns about their young players. A further points deduction?