• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Bolton

Rovers v Bolton
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, August 17, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 17, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yes. They say their lads are shattered. No surprise really.

Player
ian goodison
still haven,t sorted out the situation from last season when they didn,t play Brentford, maybe waiting to see how they progress this season

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The chances of Bolton being expelled, and Rovers losing three points, must have increased significantly.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The chances of Bolton being expelled, and Rovers losing three points, must have increased significantly.

I cant see them being expelled, the league seem to be content with sitting back and letting the administrators for the club and the hotel run the show, badly at that.

The rules need to be changed and the League needs to be tougher with clubs and owners, how a team is allowed to start the season in administration is beyond me.

Player
Manager
John King
I cant see them being expelled, the league seem to be content with sitting back and letting the administrators for the club and the hotel run the show, badly at that.

The rules need to be changed and the League needs to be tougher with clubs and owners, how a team is allowed to start the season in administration is beyond me.
It can't go on indefinitely though can it ? What happens if the takeover is not completed by the end of August. Will their kids play 23 games ?

Last edited:

Charlton1975

Player
Jason Koumas
Absol
It can't go on indefinitely though can it ? What happens if the takeover is not completed by the end of August. Will their kids play 23 games ?
Absolutely not, their next game has been postponed for exactly that reason, for the welfare of their kids. The EFL is a shambles, and whilst I appreciate that this is an unusual situation, it cannot be left to carry on like this.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
I actually felt the EFL were getting it right with Bury, albeit arguably being over lenient in allowing them to postpone fixtures so far into the season. However, the Bolton situation is a whole world of a mess with their season having kicked off on time, as a it turns out under false pretence. My thought is that had Bury started the season they’d also now be complaining about the welfare of youngsters etc. Bury’s current fans’ attitude of any owner will now do to replace Dale to save the club is desperation, if a subsequent owner failed Bury in the way Day & Dale have surely their fans would be complaining to the EFL again whose only fault seems that they hamstrung themselves by not taking more forceful action against both clubs sooner.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The EFL have a difficult job here. They want to support their members (the clubs) as much as possible and don't want to do anything to jeopardise their existence. This perhaps explains their light touch and the time they give in the hope that things can be turned around. This approach seemed to work in the 20th century, but owners like Dale and the Oystons are much more savvy and exploit the EFL's naivety. It's difficult, but I think the league needs to be more diligent and carry out checks on would-be owners' background, finances and business plan. Clearly, Dale bought Bury for just £1 and seems to have made no effort to put the club's finances on a sound footing. I understand he has split the club into different companies including the football operations and the ground. Clearly, the footie club has racked up millions of losses and is likely to be liquidated with creditors (including players and staff, who have not been paid for months) losing out. Meanwhile, Gigg Lane is an asset which will no doubt be sold for millions, making Mr Dale a small fortune. Hopefully the local council may step in, but it may be too late.

Player
aldo
as i said a few days ago he is an asset stripper . Bury fans know it and Martin k on talk sport said the same the other day . the guy is a first class scum bag . ok they over spent bla bla bla . its not the fans fault or the guys who have lost everthing . its them i feel for . saturday wont go ahead . but hope we can give support to them in some way . of sorts

drwhoman

I agree with your comments BBTC. There needs to be a far more stringent examination of club accounts particularly when there is a change of ownership. Maybe the EFL need to beef up their inspection team (if they have one!) and to have a organised club visit programme. As we know, this is the case in most industries so why not football? Keep the bastards honest or something like that! The other group the EFL need to take into consideration is the fans. There is a lot of history in the clubs and they are embedded in local communities. Bolton were founder members of the League in 1888 while Bury joined in 1894.

Player
Ian Goodison
For me when an owner buys a club they should have to place an amount of money (say the club in questions annual running costs) into a bond which is only accessible once the club has reached the stage of administration. Then the club is solvent for twelve months with everyone being paid fixtures being played whilst a new owner/investment is found.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
It was good to see us come out of the traps with a good temp on Saturday which was in stark contrast to the lethargic start on Tuesday. It put us on the front foot and Bolton did well to hold on as long as they did. The other biggest improvement IMO was the inclusion of Jennings which allowed Banks to play deeper. This gave Banks a lot more time on the ball to pick his passes and resulted in a good performance by him. It was also a good confidence boost for our more attacking players to hit the back of the net.

Apart from that Ferrier should have been sent off as such have their no. 30.

Due to the circumstances it did feel a little bit anticlimactic at the end but that certainly wasn't the feeling for the first half hour!

Let's hope we keep the points!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
There's a nice article on the OS today about our oldest fan. He's 104 and has been a supporter for 98 years! I've never heard anyone say their favourite player was Dixie Dean! He must have started watching in Rovers' first season in the league. I celebrate 61 years as a fan on Thursday, but this guy makes me feel young again - really young! ;) https://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/news/2019/august/oldest-trfc-fan-attends-game-aged-104/

BTW, I've written three articles for GUAR. The first contains some random recollections of my early days as a fan from the late 1950's into the 1960's. It's in the latest issue (126) under the title "When the Blues became the Whites". I've sent in two more - about the first televised game (v Chelsea) during the big freeze of 1962/63 and about arguably our greatest ever victory (v Arsenal at Highbury in 1973). I am hoping they might appear in the next two issues.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
There's a nice article on the OS today about our oldest fan. He's 104 and has been a supporter for 98 years! I've never heard anyone say their favourite player was Dixie Dean! He must have started watching in Rovers' first season in the league. I celebrate 61 years as a fan on Thursday, but this guy makes me feel young again - really young! ;) https://www.tranmererovers.co.uk/news/2019/august/oldest-trfc-fan-attends-game-aged-104/

BTW, I've written three articles for GUAR. The first contains some random recollections of my early days as a fan from the late 1950's into the 1960's. It's in the latest issue (126) under the title "When the Blues became the Whites". I've sent in two more - about the first televised game (v Chelsea) during the big freeze of 1962/63 and about arguably our greatest ever victory (v Arsenal at Highbury in 1973). I am hoping they might appear in the next two issues.
It was a good read BBTC.