• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Bolton

Rovers v Bolton
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, August 17, 2019 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 17, 2019 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
aldo
i hope they don,t let the away fans in the fan park today . there is a lot of hatred aimed at us from a fair amount of there fans . i hope it don,t kick off. now over 8200 sales lets hope we hit 9500 witch is looking like it could . they looked at trying to get the game called off . they are stressed over the poor kids . boo fkn hoo . i hope we take the piss today and realy give it to em

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Jennings returns to the team, Potter on the bench. Looks like 442 with Ferrier and Jennings up front.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I hope that's the case RLC. I thought it might be Ferrier up front alone. No sign of the Chelsea loanee Maddox? Thought he would be involved today

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Glad Jennings back and with both Morris and Blackett-Taylor starting looks like either 2 up front as RLC suggests or CJ behind Ferrier.

Think Maddox one of the 3 on the pitch now, made the squad but not the final 18. I’d have had him on the bench ahead of Ponticelli, as striking options in Payne and Mullin available. Maybe agreement with Coventry requires him to play a number of games, though that would be bad if correct.

Player
Manager
John King
Maddox has been injured, so probably not fit enough to be involved. I doubt there is any requirement for Ponticelli to benchwarm.

Player
aldo
get in bannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkssssssyyyyyyyyyyyyyy and now the amazing ferrierrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Player
aldo
sounds like a one sided game . hope they get there scoring boots on in the second half . come on whites take the piss

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Fairly one-sided first half, with the visitors only really showing anything attack-wise in the last few minutes. Need to avoid giving them any hope in the opening stages of the second half.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Relieved to see us win so emphatically. Great to see Ferrier and Payne off the mark too. Looking forward to the reports.

Player
Manager
John King
A very comfortable afternoon.

I thought the first thirty minutes were a bit anxious, as Rovers struggled to break down the ten-man Bolton rearguard, despite dominating possession. In the early stages I did not think our football was as good as in the recent defeats, and without the extra man in midfield we were tempted to go from back to front too quickly at times. However, the goal settled us down and it was one-way traffic from that point on, with Rovers playing some decent stuff.

Individually, I agreed with the sponsor's choice of Ferrier as man of the match, an energetic, busy performance topped off by two goals, albeit he may have been lucky to stay on the pitch after the challenge in the first half. We saw the best and worst of Banks: sloppy in the first thirty minutes, but then scoring the crucial opener and creating the third goal which effectively sealed the victory. Elsewhere, I thought Wilson and Morris had good games and Mullin did ok when he came on. The back four were untroubled all afternoon, but I thought Manny was the better of the two centre halves today.

It is difficult to read too much in to a game like today's, but the first three points was always going to be vital and it was good for the strikers to get among the goals.

Player
Johnny Morrissey
A thoroughly deserved victory for an impressive Rovers side against a team of young lads who put up some strong resistance for the first 30 minutes.

It looked very easy in the end although we didn't really create much until the 32nd minute and Ferrier should probably have been sent off. It would be churlish to offer criticism after a 5-0 win but I feel that we must do better from set-pieces. We had so many corners and free kicks in the first half an hour and, with two tall centre halves in Monthe and Ray, we should have probably opened the score earlier.

Ferrier led the line superbly and his solo goal just after half-time was my pick of the day. Morris was another standout performer and should have scored when clean through just after we had notched our second. It was a relief when the goals started to flow largely due to our domination in midfield and good link-up play with the front line. But we did switch off during the last 10 minutes and could have easily conceded on a couple of occasions. All in all, a commanding, well-earned and enjoyable performance but stiffer tests lie ahead. Let's enjoy the evening!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
My first game of the season and very enjoyable albeit against Bolton’s kids. Probably our easiest game of the season unless the bury game goes ahead.

Ferrier was a handful and glad he backed it up with goals. A daft tackle though and what looked like a possible hamstring injury hopefully won’t be serious but he must be a doubt for Tuesday.

Thought CJ did well today and Blackett Taylor has promise. Payne clearly a penalty box player. Wasn’t totally convinced by Ray to be honest and when I think about nelsons performance at Wembley he must be unlucky. But it was a clean sheet so no complaints. Hope Wilson didn’t go off injured as straight away we looked vulnerable on the right but the game was over.

On to Tuesday now

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
On the one hand a comfortable victory and Rovers certainly needed points on the board, though given the nature of the opponent a bit of a hollow victory.

I’ll post in more depth when I get home, but does anyone know what the verbals between Perkins and Morris were about? Perkins seemed to go down the tunnel very quickly at the end of the game and Jacko had his arm around Morris having a chat as Kieron left the pitch.

ADD

Player
Norwood
A very comfortable afternoon.

I thought the first thirty minutes were a bit anxious, as Rovers struggled to break down the ten-man Bolton rearguard, despite dominating possession. In the early stages I did not think our football was as good as in the recent defeats, and without the extra man in midfield we were tempted to go from back to front too quickly at times. However, the goal settled us down and it was one-way traffic from that point on, with Rovers playing some decent stuff.

Individually, I agreed with the sponsor's choice of Ferrier as man of the match, an energetic, busy performance topped off by two goals, albeit he may have been lucky to stay on the pitch after the challenge in the first half. We saw the best and worst of Banks: sloppy in the first thirty minutes, but then scoring the crucial opener and creating the third goal which effectively sealed the victory. Elsewhere, I thought Wilson and Morris had good games and Mullin did ok when he came on. The back four were untroubled all afternoon, but I thought Manny was the better of the two centre halves today.

It is difficult to read too much in to a game like today's, but the first three points was always going to be vital and it was good for the strikers to get among the goals.
That is pretty much a spot on summary RLC. Just listened to MM and he also was saying that we are nowhere near where he wants us to get to. I agree that we looked a little anxious in the first half and I thought we were a little sloppy after we had gone 5 up but the 3 points is the important thing to take from today...

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Talk about getting thrown under the bus.
I've got every respect for Notlob's kids who really shouldn't be pawns in all the shenanigans.
Got to hope that result doesn't eventually get expunged!
But it really was damage limitation for them and they defended well for half an hour.
Great strike from hot and cold Ollie to set the ball rolling but surpassed by Ferriers second, something special out of nothing.
Manny alongside their 33 was comical.
Two great sides of Perkins. Chasing their lad on a breakaway for 50+ yards and then dispossessing him and then getting a grip of Ferrier after he somehow avoided a red. Awful challenge by MF cos he felt hard done by after he'd been brushed off the ball
I'd give MOM to Morris. Second half he hogged the touchline and his control and distribution were excellent. Probably best I've seen him play.
WTF with the sprinklers on before the game?