• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Bolton

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Here's a welcome break from the league and a chance to get one over our bitter rivals. In truth, I'm really not looking forward to this due to current form, but let's just hope we keep 11 men on the pitch and give them a game.

As well as our problems, Bolton have struggled to find form with 2 draws and 2 defeats so far with their only win coming in the 1st round of the cup.

Predictions? Think we'll lose sadly. 2-0

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think they will probably rest a couple of players but will still be too good for us 3 0 to them.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Like Ian, I am dreading this game. I just hope there is some sort of defensive improvement and we don't get another tonking.

lonerover

Player
Johnny Morrissey
I think this might be a good distraction. Goody back to start will make a difference and make us better defensively.

We were rubbish at Walsall, better against Mansfield, better against Crewe and unlucky not to get a point with 10 men, then been taught a lesson, with 10 men, against probably the best team and likely champions. To be fair we lived with them 11 v 11.

Just need to settle and an influence like Goody could be the difference. Not saying we'll win, but just got to look for improvement

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I think this is a game where notlob won't want to put in more effort than they need to secure a comfortable win and I reckon they'll beat us by a 2 or 3 goal margin. I can't see that much of a turnout either, around 3k.

For Rovers, it should be damage limitation and minimizing risk to key players. Goodi can't play every game, but in the absence of a loanee needs to start with Ash in the centre of defence. I'd look at starting Stockton if there is any fitness doubt over Lowe and maybe giving Rowe a start.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Lonerover, we were 2 0 down when it was 11 v 11 on Saturday so I wouldn't say we were living with them.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Notlob should win quite easily. Agreed this is a chance to give Rowe a start, although personally I think he has lot of improvement to make - but with injuries and suspensions to come we need to know whether he can cut it.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
My heart says we'll scrape a victory to turn the season around, but my head says we'll get walloped. Prediction: 1-3.

I am just wondering if Ronnie's policy of having just five defenders is badly backfiring and is the root cause of our problems. Players need competition to keep them sharp. If they know there is no-one else to take their place, they are likely to get complacent. These same players looked decent in pre-season when they were playing for their places, but not since Ronnie said his squad was complete.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'd like to see a change in the squad, but its so limited I'm not sure there is much he can do. Yes, we'll probably get beat but as long as we are still in it at half time, that's an improvement :)

Player
Goodison
My prediction is 3-1 to Notlob, I'd like to see Ronnie mix things up a bit to the best that he can given injuries, but I suspect it will be a fairly familiar side.

Team I would play:

OFW

Holmes Taylor Goodison Horwood

Power Atkinson

Thompson Bell-Baggie Kirby

Akpa-Akpro

I'd try Bell-Baggie in the middle because, as others have noticed, he lacks an end product when it comes to crossing - perhaps he would be better at beating a man and putting balls through? I also think Kirby should be given a chance so we can establish whether he is any good or not.

Player
Manager
John King
My heart says we'll scrape a victory to turn the season around, but my head says we'll get walloped. Prediction: 1-3.

I am just wondering if Ronnie's policy of having just five defenders is badly backfiring and is the root cause of our problems. Players need competition to keep them sharp. If they know there is no-one else to take their place, they are likely to get complacent. These same players looked decent in pre-season when they were playing for their places, but not since Ronnie said his squad was complete.

I don't think lack of competition is the cause of the problems at the back, although it obviously limits our options now that things are going wrong. I believe the difficulties are the result of individual players seriously lacking confidence / being past their best and the failure of the back four to gel at all as a unit, largely due to one of the centre backs being played in an unfamiliar position.

Foster has played very little competitive football recently and may simply be past his best. Holmes was not great at the tail end of last season and that form has carried over to this season and, if anything, worsened. Horwood is not great defensively but has been horribly and unfairly exposed in the games where we have been reduced to ten men; I think he would actually have been fine playing in last season's back four, with solid players alongside him. Taylor had a nightmare at Walsall when he played as the left centre back, but has been ok since then.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Tonight's team sheet makes depressing reading. Thanks to injuries and the suspension, the team picks itself and we have only four players on the bench including a youth player. I'm praying for no injuries or sendings off.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
What a result! It seemed like everyone gave it their all, but I'm looking forward to the eye-witness reports.

Player
Liam Palmer
Get in, great result, especially with that team out. I take it all back, "oh Ronnie Moore, Ronnie, Ronnie Moore..." Hope it hasn't knackered us for Saturday!

#lovinit!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
excellent result hopefully can give the club a boost

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
Brilliant result, HOWEVER, the bread and butter is Saturday, so lets see what happens eh? (Tho I guess a league cup trophy would look nice)

Player
Manager
John King
Fantastic performance. We deserved to win in normal time and, to a man, were brilliant. Goody put in an incredible performance at the back; 120 minutes at 41 years of age. The back four were all excellent. Koumas ran the game for 60 minutes, Rowe showed what a class player he could be, great touch, awarenesss and the ability to put his foot in: I would like to see him starting league games now. Cole Stockton had his best game for us and he and Akpro were a nightmare for their centre backs all night.

I almost enjoyed their two offside 'goals' as much as the penalties (all expertly taken). :)

Not enough superlatives for that display.

Player
Manager
John King
On another matter, I heard a rumour tonight that Foster is about to retire because of his injury problems. A sad way for him to go but would certainly help us out.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
On another matter, I heard a rumour tonight that Foster is about to retire because of his injury problems. A sad way for him to go but would certainly help us out.

ive heard couple of stories, one that hes retiring and another that hes cancelling his contract and leaving the club due to a fall out, think the retirement is more likely to be true.