• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Rovers v Blackpool

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It does not get any easier for Rovers, with a Blackpool side who have been in the upper reaches of the table all season next to visit Prenton Park.

Blackpool have a very good squad on paper, with a lot of quality and experience: Spearing, Scannell and Feeney in midfield, Delfouneso and ex-Rover Gnanduillet up front. However, they have lost their last two matches, so perhaps we are meeting them at a good time. Their away record actually is not great, and they have drawn the majority of their games away from home.

I think we might revert to the 532 formation, having looked so poor defensively at Burton. I think Potter might replace Perkins, but I would not bring CBT straight back into the side. The attacking quartet of Ferrier, RHM, Jennings and Morris did pretty well on Boxing Day and all deserve to start in my view.

The two home matches over the festive period are very tough, but I think we need to take a minimum of two points from tomorrow's game and the Coventry match.

The pre-sales are excellent and we look set for an 8,000 plus crowd, with about 1,500 from the Fylde peninsula.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
They lost at home to Accrington last game so are not to be feared, it will be interesting to see what changes are made as the team could do with freshening up, think we may Nick it 2 1

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Should be a good atmosphere with the expected away travel. Sadly I can’t see anything other than an away win. They are tough to beat and you wonder if mickys post match remarks about players basically not being good enough could impact. Their away record is
Won 2
Drew 7
Lost 1
So a draw isn’t out of the question and I’d take it right now. Suspect Micky may go with a 5-4-1 set up with Jennings behind Ferrier altho RHM deserves to play

Player
ian goodison
have a horrible feeling we,ll start with the same team from burton I know we have injuries but feel micky just hoping something will happen,don,t know what's happened to Wilson but if he isn,t injured surely should be their before caprice, just not confident of getting anything from the next 2 home games

Player
aldo
well with the mud bath of a pitch . and with loads more rain in last few days it could be interesting . think its prob the worst in the 3 lgs ive im honest its the poorest ive seen it in a very long time

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
My only festive fixture this year due to the way they have fallen and really looking forward to it. Blackpool are one of the stronger teams in this league and, as mentioned above, will bring a large following, so it should be a cracking atmosphere. If we turn up we stand a chance of pinching 3 points in front of a raucous crowd, but I'd absolutely take a draw. After MM's comments following the Burton defeat I wouldn't hazard a guess on team selection but, to be honest, his options are pretty limited. I hope that some of our players are extra-motivated by feeling that they may be in "last chance saloon" with the window just around the corner.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm the opposite to ONIGP, the fact this game is played on Sunday rather than Saturday prevents my attendance. Unsure why these games have been set for Sunday and in Rovers position a decent crowd may dip a bit due to Red Scouse also being at home on Sunday.

Didn't understand why Micky switched away from the 532 at Burton. Morris is better deployed further forward than at wing-back, but we seem very short of defensive options at present and Kieron does a decent job in the more defensive role. If Wilson was available/fit would use him rather than Caprice and probably Potter ahead of Perkins/Danns.

Player
Manager
John King
I'm the opposite to ONIGP, the fact this game is played on Sunday rather than Saturday prevents my attendance. Unsure why these games have been set for Sunday and in Rovers position a decent crowd may dip a bit due to Red Scouse also being at home on Sunday.

Didn't understand why Micky switched away from the 532 at Burton. Morris is better deployed further forward than at wing-back, but we seem very short of defensive options at present and Kieron does a decent job in the more defensive role. If Wilson was available/fit would use him rather than Caprice and probably Potter ahead of Perkins/Danns.
He possibly wanted to play wingers in front of the fullbacks for more protection, given the threat Burton have in wide areas. Wing backs would have been even more exposed.

Player
Manager
John King
Woods and CBT start. Looks like Ridehalgh is injured. RHM drops to the bench.

ADD

Player
Norwood
No mention of Rides being injured in pre match interview but a big hint I guess in that MM did talk about not wanting to give much away about potential issues. First comment I have heard that Wilson is injured and back at West Brom. Disappointing that.
I know that I will get criticism from certain posters for once again saying why the hell is Danny WR not at least on the bench but I am sorry having Mullin, Payne, DHM and Ponticelli all on the bench is in my view a nonsense with only one defender and another old midfielder on the bench...

Player
Manager
John King
I doubt the absence of DWR from the bench will have much influence on the outcome......

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hope I’m proved wrong but not hopeful for today, having seen that line-up. Injuries can’t be helped, but persisting with starting the same aged 60 minute lasting midfield pair seems odd. I would also have stuck with RHM, who has more of a footballing brain and more defensive awareness than CBT.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I see Rushian has picked up an injury, so DWR is on the bench.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
After an awful start we’ve actually grown into the game and Blackpool since their goal have shown very little. Really need to win this with Bolton and MK Dons winning.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
So, we are kept out of the relegation zone by Portsmouth's stoppage time consolation goal against a worryingly resurgent MK Dons. It makes New Year's Day's game even more important, but Coventry's away thrashing of Wycombe also concerns me.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Rovers were excellent today, you could not fault their effort. Just a shame we couldn’t get the win.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thankfully, Rochdale and Wimbledon both lost and are in equally poor form to us. The fixtures are coming thick and fast, but after entertaining Coventry we have a welcome 10-day break from the league. My worry is how many of the squad will still be fit a week on Saturday. Hopefully by then some reinforcements will have arrived.