• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Barrow

Match result

• Rovers

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Barrow

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Barrow
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, April 24, 2021 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, April 24, 2021 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Barrow rarely threatening but we need a second to kill the game off

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Lot more quality in this second half and we should have scored a few really.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Well I guess like the Bradford game the result was all that mattered. Poor first half and Keith made the subs which worked as Nugent got the winner and Khan was very good. We’re still not scoring enough and should of got more but another clean sheet is obviously a positive. It’s a funny old game: Lloyd who was very good at Bradford and set up the goal, is hauled off at half time today.
Automatic promotion still possible but unlikely especially with a tough game at FGR on Tuesday. It wasn’t a great game to watch but with two wins in at row, we mustn’t grumble. On to Tuesday.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We just need to play like we did in the second half today. Get the ball on the floor and get players running at the opposition. That is our strength, not aimless balls in the air. Two wins on the bounce and a play off place secured I think. Can we win the last two?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A much better second half performance and a deserved victory. I thought in the final half an hour we looked much more our old selves, with some good interplay and confidence returning to the side. The only frustration is that we have again failed to take our chances, as has been mentioned.

The players looked much more comfortable in a 442 after the break, none more so than Nugent who had his best game for us, with some lovely touches and good movement in addition to the goal. It makes you wonder why that system has not been tried previously, as opposed to pumping balls at him as a lone striker. I thought Khan made a huge difference down the right and hand side, and his presence also seemed to bring out the best of Woolery and Feeney.

Man of the match, Otis Khan.

On to Forest Green next Saturday with our slim hopes of automatic promotion still alive.

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Vastly improved second half in the attacking sense. Agree that it was the best we've seen of Nugent and Khan made a real difference. I also thought that Woolery had a decent game, kept running at them and pressurising, while Macdonald deserved credit for getting himself into position for that chance and had another steady game. Think we need 2 more points for a guaranteed play-off spot, hopefully we get the remaining 6, though after notlob's win today the chance of top 3 is wafer thin.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes, MacDonald was very good in the second half.

We could still theoretically catch Cambridge as well. We just need to win our final two games and make those above us sweat. Stranger things have happened.

Player
aldo
well that was better want it and GREAT TO GET NUGENT A GOAL will do him the world of good but we need to start like that and play the same way its going to be a nervy few weeks

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Talk about a performance of 2 haves from absolute dross to much improved with a good goal from Nugent. We should really have won by more goals and looked solid again at the back 3 clean sheets in a row now.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Player
Manager
John King
Quite a tetchy interview again from Keith I thought, despite the positive second half performance, where he again references a negative atmosphere.

I get the impression the relationship between Hill and the fans will always be a loveless marriage, irrespective of results.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Quite a tetchy interview again from Keith I thought, despite the positive second half performance, where he again references a negative atmosphere.

I get the impression the relationship between Hill and the fans will always be a loveless marriage, irrespective of results.

yes he was a bit prickly and a bit grumpy. He almost says someone like Nugent should be exempt from criticism just because he once played for England and played in the premier league.

I don’t think so Keith. We can only judge Nugent on his performances for us which up to now have been poor overall, but hopefully improving

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
He won’t take any criticism about his players and is very defensive although I’m glad the interviewer asked him some trickier questions than Derek’s which he sailed through. I also can’t believe he was unaware of any negativity regarding Nugent. If he was telling the truth then maybe he does not go near social media after all.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It was a strange interview. Agree with Sparky & Ian about his remarks over Nugent. Wasn’t entirely convinced that he’s genuinely so star-struck with Nugent and believes he should be immune from criticism. Finally name-checking Fat Sam given the history between notlob and Rovers felt like a bad idea.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
He also started on about his win record since he took over of around 50% in all competitions, which I would agree is very good. But as I say he isn’t immune from criticism with the failure to make us cope without Vaughan and freezing out the likes of CBT being issues that have led to us falling out of the automatic promotion picture - but yes overall his record his very good.

Some would says he’s a bit over sensitive.

Player
Too many of them after over 50 years!
I've just noticed that it looks like Swindon and Northampton who benefitted from the 'artificial promotion method' last season are in the relegation zone in League One, along with Rochdale who only had 3 more points than Tranmere. Conversely, Cheltenham and Bolton look to be on the way up, hopefully along with Tranmere. Whilst I am hopeful results will go Tranmere's way, realistically it is likely to be playoffs .... again.

Player
Manager
John King
He also started on about his win record since he took over of around 50% in all competitions, which I would agree is very good. But as I say he isn’t immune from criticism with the failure to make us cope without Vaughan and freezing out the likes of CBT being issues that have led to us falling out of the automatic promotion picture - but yes overall his record his very good.

Some would says he’s a bit over sensitive.
His overall win percentage is good, but I would argue that it should be given he has one of the most talented squads in the division. I think it also masks just how poor we were in the ten games prior to this week, when we had relegation form that will probably cost us a top three place.

I think that percentage also includes the Pizza Trophy games, which are not really senior matches in my book.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Just watched Hill's interview and his 50% win ratio, comments that you can't criticise Nugent as he played for England 40 years ago etc. etc. and a feeling of dread pervades me of the perfect storm brewing....
We won't go up automatically but we will make playoffs.
We will lose in playoffs but play a bit better than we have done recently.
Hill will be given a new contract on the basis he did better than Jackson/ got a top 3 team into the top 7 etc. etc. despite not meeting the objectives he was set....
God I hope I am wrong.